Notices

New around here

Old 10-25-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New around here

Hi everyone

So...not really sure what to say. I've been drinking pretty heavily for the last 3 years or so. But more so over the last couple of months. I think the most I've drunk is about 3 bottles of bourbon in a week and nobody actually realises how much I drink. I just seem like a normal 26 year old woman.
I'm not sure I would call myself an alcoholic but I obviously have a problem.

In my last year of university I was drinking way too much and when I finished the year I was able to stay sober for about 14 months. But I come from a family and culture where alcohol plays a major part. For those whole 14 months all I heard was 'Come on, have a drink!!' (and my father kept on 'accusing' me of being a Muslim) so finally I caved in.

I've beaten depression and self injury (SI free for about 4 years now) and I've been sober before, so I know I can do it. I think its just trying to get into the swing of it. So that's why I'm here. I can't talk to my parents, I don't have many friends but I guess I need a place where I can just talk without being judged too much

Thanks for reading!
Old 10-25-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep posting and counting the days you'll soon be on a run and making a plan that will work for you.
John.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Erzulie1987, SR is a wonderful place for support and understanding.This site has really helped with my recovery. I'm glad you have joined us.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you John and Hayley! It means a lot
Old 10-25-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All the very best. Lots of support and advice here! ..and it doesn't matter about the label 'alcoholic'. If you are worried and concerned about your alcohol consumption it is by definition a problem, whatever you choose to call it.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Erzulie1987

But I come from a family and culture where alcohol plays a major part. For those whole 14 months all I heard was 'Come on, have a drink!!' (and my father kept on 'accusing' me of being a Muslim) so finally I caved in.
I come from a culture and family where drinking is expected too.

Eventually I realised that bowing to that pressure (or ridicule) was simply killing me...so I stopping caving to it.

The funny thing is, I've gained a lot of respect from my family in the years since I did that.

Make choices for your own well being, not for other peoples

D