Notices

Finally decided to quit, need help in going foward

Old 10-25-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally decided to quit, need help in going foward

So I have finally decided to give up the booze. I have tried in the past but the best I could do is about 2 weeks and now understand if I am going to do this I will need help. I drink everynight and can finish a half 1.5 of vodka no problem, i wake up hung over and go to work and what I call myself a high functioning alcoholic. Yesterday I signed up for a group therepy 12 week class but I do not think that will be enough, I need something to help take the craving and edge off and do not know where to turn or who the right Dr may be to help me out with this. What are somre of your thoughts on this.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that changing my daily routines and patterns helped a lot, in the early days. When is the time of day when you are most likely to drink? Plan to be doing something specific at that time. For me, early evening was the worst, so I would go out and take a long walk. Drive home from work a different way, so you don't pass the store where you usually buy alcohol.

And, do read around here because there is so much information and inspiration.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am just now starting to read a lot of the information here. Early evening is when it hits me but on weekends I can start at 11am and go all day, it does not help being in the food service industry either were alcohol is all around me, but I was born and raised in this business and it is how I have made a very good living. What Dr should I be looking for to start me on this journey I definately need something to help stop the cravings and mellow me out, I am adult adhd so this only adds to the fire.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You sound ready for a change and realize you need help. I'd make an appointment with your doctor for advice and be completely honest with him / her.

I too had to change my routine and did lots of walking, running errands etc. I found if I could make it a couple hours past when I usually opened a bottle of wine, I could settle in for the evening, watch tv etc....and I often went to bed early....just to finish my day...and wake up in the morning without a hang over
Old 10-25-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

mjg1965

SR is an important part of my recovery
along with AA.

Hope your recovery goes well.