Notices

Ocd

Old 10-25-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My youngest daughter has it, or had it. I don't know if it's still much of a problem. I remember spending 15 minutes in her bedroom at night convincing her that her alarm was set.

In the past year or so, I've found that I have a touch of it myself at night. When we follow the same routine each night, sometimes it's hard to remember if we set the alarm or if we're remembering setting the alarm because we do it every night. So, when I set the alarm each night, I say out loud...I set the alarm, so I can hear myself say it. That seems to help.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
When I was taking five minutes to make sure all my car doors were locked yesterday, even though I have central locking. My son tutted and said,"your OCD gets on my nerves," so I replied, 'It gets on mine too, but it's not hurting anyone, least of all you, so it's not the end of the world.' I have learned to live with it. Why can't they just be happy for my sobriety, rather than be so picky all the time? At least I have also learned to let their comments ride over my head.

Does anyone else have OCD? How do you deal with it?
OCD is a serious psychological condition that indicates a defense against severe pain on the part of one who suffers.

Just as living with an alcoholic, with someone who is chronically depressed, or with someone who is paranoid is painful, the same is true of people who live with someone suffering from OCD. Family members and other loved ones pick up on all the pain that obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviors are designed to avoid. There's no way around it.

In effect, the other person/people are experiencing the pain that the OCD sufferer is attempting to avoid.

This dynamic occurs virtually every day among those of us who practice psychotherapy. When the therapist is experiencing, for example, unexplained sleepiness or anxiety while in session with a patient, it's a good bet that the patient is actively suppressing emotional pain.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
My youngest daughter has it, or had it. I don't know if it's still much of a problem. I remember spending 15 minutes in her bedroom at night convincing her that her alarm was set.

In the past year or so, I've found that I have a touch of it myself at night. When we follow the same routine each night, sometimes it's hard to remember if we set the alarm or if we're remembering setting the alarm because we do it every night. So, when I set the alarm each night, I say out loud...I set the alarm, so I can hear myself say it. That seems to help.
This was the key for me taking better control of my OCD. I do it with everything. It seems to stick in my head much better if I say it out loud (I turned off the burner, I locked the back door, etc.). I've noticed it's not as bad now that I am sober too. I still have it, but it's more manageable.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I hate how the brochures are crooked!!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

In the past, every morning when I'd leave to take the kids to school, I'd have to drive around the block past my house again to make sure I had closed the garage door. Now, as I'm leaving the driveway, I say to my daughter "the garage door is closed" so that I don't have to drive back around the block to check. Works a treat.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
When I was taking five minutes to make sure all my car doors were locked yesterday, even though I have central locking. My son tutted and said,"your OCD gets on my nerves," so I replied, 'It gets on mine too, but it's not hurting anyone, least of all you, so it's not the end of the world.' I have learned to live with it. Why can't they just be happy for my sobriety, rather than be so picky all the time? At least I have also learned to let their comments ride over my head.

Does anyone else have OCD? How do you deal with it?

I may not have OCD, but I've got boys. No matter what you do, something will annoy them. I could be the Queen of England and my son would still say "I can't believe that you (insert one of ten thousand things here) Mom. It's so annoying!".
Well, who asked you, anyway.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

ocd is really annoying..

I used to have way worse ocd than I do now. I was tired of people ridiculing me about it. I read alotta books to try to help myself. I went camping and slept outside and suddenly I was cured of the "everything is dirty" part. It really worked. But I still check things today. I tell myself out loud...DONE...so I know I don't need to repeat. Its so annoying and I don't want to waste any more precious time on ocd. Remember that ocd is a time waster and u don't want it. I'm gonna start telling myself today! I read checking one time is fine but more than that is irrational. But to double check seems to be acceptable to people...
Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've been on the SSRI Luvox since I was a teen. My OCD at times has been so debilitating I have thought of suicide. My obsessions manifest in organization, list making, and things I don't fully understand. For years I have been writing down how much I have drank, what I eat, finances, life evens, all kinds of things that I for whatever reason feel the need to keep track of. My issue is that within all this irrational obsession are rational things intertwined. My home is immaculate and clutter and unorganization have a profound negative affect on me. This has had an impact in most aspects of my life. It sometimes takes me very long to get out of the house. It used to take me almost an hour to close up a store I used to run, which took others 5 minutes. I've been self medicating with alcohol and pot for a long time now. Even through my addictions, by using exposure and CBT I have managed to become more of a functional alcoholic. Now I'm working on removing the alcohol from my life, and hoping the Luvox will be more effective.

For me, the way I would describle neglecting a compultion feels much like holding my breath until I need to gasp for air. It has been that difficult.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

To Serotonin...

To Serotonin..That sounds awful for u. OCD is awful. I got rid of a lot of compulsions by not caring anymore because I was focused on my job and just making it to work despite being so I'll and hung over. Then I noticed the stuff didn't matter anymore to me. And then that compulsion disappeared and I was glad! I know we all need some important info written down and kept. What if u kept important stuff all in one box. Then throw out unimportant lists u don't need. Force yourself. Then wean yourself off making lists. Do something nice for yourself and have fun instead. Ocd is rigid strict rules but just break them. I still have ocd but barely now. I was hoarding a bit too. One day I got rid of it all..
Except stuff I really loved. I felt free...and the hoarding stopped. I know its not the same for everyone..but I really wish u the best Serotonin! U deserve to breathe easily! Ocd is awful.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I am also a list maker. I found loads tonight and just threw them in the bin, I now realise that I was scared of forgetting things and after looking at just two lists, I realised I had managed to do the stuff on it. without looking at it. Must be improving
Old 01-22-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Magsie

And me, not full blown but mild. I think I used it to protect me as a child and never stopped.
My pegs do my head in, matching coloured pegs up routine before I leave the house, everything just about x
Old 01-22-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

I always joke about being OCD..... but I guess I really am. Just some things though. I have to check over and over if I unplugged the the curling iron. And even though I have checked it, I still sometimes worry about it when I have left the house and am driving down the road.
I make lists of things all the time and never end up doing most of it but putting it on a list again at some point. I could not live without post it notes!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

To KateL

Yeah I keep lists too...its just being organized. Which is a good thing that saves time searching. Its when ocd takes control and there is a slight fear you'll forget or lose info. I'm treating ocd just like alcohol. 2 bad habits I'm throwing out. Be Gone! Don't want ya, sorry!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

To Gypsy Heart

I had to go BACK after leaving to see if curling iron was off. It was always off. They make curling irons that automatically turn off. I had one I hated it. It turned off on me before I used it. Lol cuz last thing I do is curl bangs. So I bought the regular kind that I had to check if its un plugged when I leave! LOL stupid right...I hate getting ready anyways..I.was tired and hungover.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I have OCD, but it manifested itself in obtrusive thoughts, not compulsions like counting etc. It started when I was five and I lived with it, not telling anyone, until my early 20s. Finally found the right therapist to help me through it. Now, life is much better - thank goodness!!!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

wordsworth....

Hi Wordsworth. I noticed one compulsion I had would leave me. I thought oh good! Then lo and behold..I started having a certain obtrusive thought. Why is ocd so torturous? I try dismissing these thoughts and rationalizing the thought away!

Last edited by archenemy; 01-22-2014 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling..
Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Since getting sober, I've grown obsessive about making my bed. I've never made my bed in my life, and on my first sober/non-hungover morning, I made my bed first thing. I've been done this for the last 63 mornings. Once, I was making breakfast and I felt like something was wrong:I forgot to make my bed! Felt much better when the task was complete. I think there is some symbolism at work here, too.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

neat!

Hi Malcomslone....your post made me smile about neatly making your bed! I really heard that making your bed daily is a constructive start to your day! Also helps you so u don't wanna take naps later...I like my bed made too. Then I force myself to fold clean laundry next. I don't care for that chore. Lol
Old 01-22-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I would like to host a OCD meeting at my house. Not because I have it, but surely someone will be bothered enough to clean it.

Last edited by AlaskaGirl; 01-22-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: iPad problems :)
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

All bank notes must be facing in the correct direction and in order £5 notes in front, then £10 and then £20's. I rarely have a £50 note.

Debit cards and credit cards receipts must be alphabetical in the wallet.

I used to think everyone did this, until a woman at the til, once asked if I worked as a cashier because thats what they do. It was then I realised, some people have the audacity to just put cash in their wallets without arranging them too, they have the problem not me.