Notices

I drank tonight

Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I drank tonight

My SR friends. . .I feel compelled to post here, as I have been sober for so many months. I had four beers tonight.

I got sober, engaged in life again, and returned to this forum to give support.

And then thought it would be okay for me to drink beers with my husband who isn't in recovery. I am solid, if a little buzzed, but standing on a slippery slope. It is 1:36 am here in DC, and I have to go to work tomorrow, and get children off to school. I will surely have a headache and regret.

I won't go down that road again. I was reticent to post this, but felt compelled to call upon my SR buddies to sound the alarm and provide voices of reason when I check in midday.

That is all.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you posted. I hope you can get some rest and then in the morning, start again. Think about what you need to do, or not do to get on solid ground with Recovery.

You have a lot on support on SR. I don't know if you've looked into AVRT on the Secular Threads but using a bit of AA and Rational Recovery has kept me sober and at Peace for almost six years.

Love from Lenina
Old 10-24-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I made the same mistake many times.

I eventually learned - after a ridiculous amount of times - that there's no such thing as 'ok drinking' for me anymore - I really hope tonight's the night where you've learned that too now C4G

D
Old 10-24-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting Change. Climb back up on that horse and you'll nail it next time. You did the right thing in coming here and sharing.

Good luck friend.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Forgive yourself, learn from it, and move forward again.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting Change.

Sharing your experience will help keep someone sober tonight and we look forward to your check in tomorrow.

Sleep well
Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

C4G, hope it was just a once off. It's so easy to slip back into old ways, but it's totally up to you.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

It never worked for me in the medium term. I could do it once or twice. It feeds the idea that this time i would get it right.

Freedom from the struggle and torment is ony possible for me when i embrace sobriety with all my heart.

C4G my thoughts are with you.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Change, Glad you posted. I am coming off of yet another slip myself. Now I am looking at things differently, as I just want off this rollercoaster of strings of sobriety followed with small bouts of drinking here and there. It's just not worth it anymore.

Yes, when you wake up you will be angry with yourself and not feel anywhere how you did sober. Get past that, don't dwell on self-hatred or regret. Pick yourself up and do it again. Learn from it and commit to never going through it again. Not worth it all.

Everyone's path is different. Keep your eye on your goal of permanent sobriety and you will get there, starting with today. We both will. Keep posting, we are here for you.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Done it hundreds of times. Just plod on! You are actually lucky to have been able to stop at four. I would probably had carried on xxxx
Old 10-25-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Change4good.

Sobriety takes practice. Hopefully, it won't be more practice than active effort but the fact that you posted is telling. You want this, for good. I think we all feel like maybe something will be different once we get away from the alcohol for a while and choose to drink. It takes a few stumbling blocks to realize that all roads lead back to quitting.

Today is a new day for you. Imbed last night into memory and use it when you consider picking up. As much as you're going to feel bad today it's important to not let that leave your mind.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Hi Change4good.

Sobriety takes practice. Hopefully, it won't be more practice than active effort but the fact that you posted is telling. You want this, for good. I think we all feel like maybe something will be different once we get away from the alcohol for a while and choose to drink. It takes a few stumbling blocks to realize that all roads lead back to quitting.

Today is a new day for you. Imbed last night into memory and use it when you consider picking up. As much as you're going to feel bad today it's important to not let that leave your mind.
The above was said in my past a lot. Finally I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and studied things like this and had such relapses burned into my memory as REMEMBER WHENS. One of my favorite ones to this day is "IF I DON'T PICK UP THE FRIST DRINK, I DONT HAVE TO GET SOBER AGAIN."

BE WELL
Old 10-25-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

C4G,
I'm sure you've realized that it isn't "OK" for us to drink alcohol....ever. Forgive yourself, get the children off to school and look forward to your sober week end