Notices

Any other documentaries?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any other documentaries?

Hey y'all..... I watched "drugged, high off alcohol " last night and it scared the hell out of me! Plus the main guys name is Ryan and that's my name haha. But I was wondering if anybody knows of some other videos like that one?? I think watching some when I have a craving would help big time.....

5 days today and just starting to feel better..... And we all know that's when the cravings are the worst.......
Old 10-24-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Both the US and Canadian versions of Intervention are great, along with the show "Addicted". I saw another so documentary called "Rain on my Heart" (or something similar) that was just terrifying.

I was absolutely spellbound by these in early recovery...I thought they were very helpful. There are some great books out there too. I believe that there is a forum listing them.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you can find the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary "Unguarded" I'd highly recommend it. It's the story of basketball player Chris Herron and his addiction. At one point he was playing with the Celtics and was going through withdrawals, waiting for his dealer to show up before game time. He literally walked out on the street outside the arena to meet his dealer, then went on to play a pretty good game after he got his fix. Crazy stuff, and it's a really inspirational story. It is on Netflix if you have it.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

It's not a documentary, but there is a good free movie on YouTube called The Morning After. It's an old movie starring Dick Van Dyke. He had problems with alcohol which was one reason he decided to star in the move.

There is another old classic called The Lost Weekend.

I switch between documentaries and actual movies with actors sometimes. I've seen some accurate descriptions of alcohol abuse in both.

I think there is a thread on SR somewhere that lists some of the best ones. Not sure how to find it or link it. Maybe another SR member will post the link on this thread.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

'Rain in My Heart' is a BBC documentary in 10 parts, all available on the youtube. I recommend it too.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a good list of movies in this thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-sobriety.html

For even more lists you can look here:
Recovery, Addiction, and Alcoholism in the News, Movies, and Pop Culture - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 10-24-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The movie "Flight" with Denzel Washington was great..he is a pilot an alcoholic..great movie and probably more true to life than we like to think.

Rain in my heart is a great documentary you can find on Youtube

I agree with watching the older intervention shows they should be on youtube and netflix.

Good idea to watch them when you crave..congrats on 5 days and hang in there