Notices

It was just a dream...

Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It was just a dream...

I experienced one of the most realistic drinking dreams last night. In the dream there were the events leading up to a party, a blackout period, and the aftermath. In the aftermath, err next day, I broke down. I was 46 days sober, what in hell led me to drink and get so out of control. I don't remember drinking, I don't remember the first drink or even the decision making process (the battle, or AV conversation) that leads up to the slip. It was like I didn't even have a choice. My friends were telling me about all the horrible things I was doing and how they felt sorry for me. It was horrible and felt pretty low.

I woke up realizing it was a just a dream and let out a long sigh along with a few curse words. I understand I don't have a choice whether I drink or not in my dreams, but when I'm awake I do. I will be present when the AV starts talking to me or when I am offered a drink. I do have a choice. Today, I choose not to drink. I make no promises for tomorrow, but at least I got today covered. I hope everyone that reads this chooses not to drink today.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I also have had a drinking dream and was SO THANKFUL when I woke up and realized it was JUST a dream. It's amazing how our minds work, isn't it?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank goodness it was only a dream.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
I also have had a drinking dream and was SO THANKFUL when I woke up and realized it was JUST a dream. It's amazing how our minds work, isn't it?
I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's happened to me. I've also done drugs in my dreams that I've never done or even know how to do, but in my dream I was thinking, "Hey....I'm not drinking." I knew it was crap in my dream, and was thankful when I woke up.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Damn, so many drinking dreams last night, my own included... and it wasn't a Full Moon either...

“What conscious attitude does it (a dream) compensate,” C.G. Jung says, so a part of us misses that drink. Not a biggie as long as the other - non drinking part - dominates, I'd guess.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Dreams have a way of healing we never fully understand.

I am always so thanful when the dream fades and sober clarity returns with out the crippling hangover and anxiety that would last until the next drinking episode.

Thanks for reminding me why I am sober today gr9813!