Notices

I'm cured!!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink I'm cured!!

lmao wouldn't it be great if there was a cure?
Old 10-24-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course it would. It would also be nice if we could tackle deficits, wars, cancer and mortality.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Witty
Old 10-24-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm just having a bit of fun.....
Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tgirl View Post
I'm just having a bit of fun.....
I know...but be careful. That AV has a way on capitalizing on levity too.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Actually there is a cure for alcohlism - sobriety. With many other diseases, even the best treatments in the world are not effective and eventually the disease wins - even when the individual does everything they can to combat it.

With alcoholism, there is a 100% success rate in those who devote the necessary time and resources to sobriety. Doesn't matter if it's AA, AVRT or SR - if you successfully follow your the plan you will get better.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Actually there is a cure for alcohlism - sobriety. With many other diseases, even the best treatments in the world are not effective and eventually the disease wins - even when the individual does everything they can to combat it.

With alcoholism, there is a 100% success rate in those who devote the necessary time and resources to sobriety. Doesn't matter if it's AA, AVRT or SR - if you successfully follow your the plan you will get better.
I'm working at it every second of every day, and it's hard work... but I am doing it for me.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

tigirl:
That's what my spouse says. "He's cured!" That sounds like the way they talked in the "old days". "They sent him for a cure!" "He took the cure!" Like in Europe it was Baden Baden, where you dried out (hopefully), drank mineral waters and ate gargantuan meals. Or, in England, Bath, where you did the same and swam in a warm pool wearing strange clothing and maybe eating from trays floating on the water. Lots of ballroom dancing. Then back to London to say, "I've just been away taking the cure!"
I've heard that today the nurses call a quick detox followed by a discharge after a few days (maybe with a bunch of pills) a "spin dry". Not unusual to have a fellow then enter a bar and confidently say, "I'm cured! Just been away taking the cure!"

W.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm pickled would have been more likely in my case.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
tigirl:
That's what my spouse says. "He's cured!" That sounds like the way they talked in the "old days". "They sent him for a cure!" "He took the cure!" Like in Europe it was Baden Baden, where you dried out (hopefully), drank mineral waters and ate gargantuan meals. Or, in England, Bath, where you did the same and swam in a warm pool wearing strange clothing and maybe eating from trays floating on the water. Lots of ballroom dancing. Then back to London to say, "I've just been away taking the cure!"

W.
Haha! that's exactly it!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I believe in the old days they also said, 'He took the pledge', and this has fallen into common usage now:
Pledge: A vow to abstain from alcoholic liquor: ex-drinkers who have taken the pledge.
In some circles, this still happens.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Haha! that's exactly it!
Thanks, TGirl:
I remember my granddad (who definitely wasn't an alcoholic but sometimes felt under some stress, for very good reasons) would go down to White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia by himself to play golf. I see you live in the South. Then perhaps you might recall that White Sulphur Springs was known for the tradition that all the waiters carried their serving trays on their heads. Lots of folks down there enjoying their "cure"!

W.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I believe in the old days they also said, 'He took the pledge', and this has fallen into common usage now:

In some circles, this still happens.
And also it's important to recall "He fell off the wagon" ("He's been on the wagon but he fell off!")
Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

And also it's important to recall "He fell off the wagon" ("He's been on the wagon but he fell off!")
No recall required for that, one, W. Just take a look through these here pages. No change there, it would seem.

I was trying to indicate that then, as now, many quit drinking by vowing to never drink again and to never change their mind. This isn't a trivial exercise, but a deeply considered solemn and binding promise. A pledge, if you will.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fresh Start wrote in part: "I was trying to indicate that then, as now, many quit drinking by vowing to never drink again and to never change their mind. This isn't a trivial exercise, but a deeply considered solemn and binding promise. A pledge, if you will."

Yes, I agree that it's necessary to take the pledge, but the problem is that there are at least two (maybe many more) versions of "the pledge". The first is in small letters ("pledge") The second or crucial one comes in capital letters ("PLEDGE") Persons in recovery often take the small one ("This time I really mean it! I'm never going to drink again!") and often sadly find that something somehow goes wrong, doesn't go as expected, as promised, etc. etc. Things then progress from bad to worse. Another "pledge", another relapse. Then if you're lucky, if your back is really to the wall, maybe if you're scared out of your wits, -whatever. Then if you're lucky, may come THE PLEDGE. AVRT calls it THE BIG PLAN. AA calls it "Step One". Whatever version you take, it's the moment of truth. You can spend a lot of time kicking the can down the road. I know I did. But, again, if you're lucky, you may come to the moment of truth. Where does it come from? When does it happen? No one knows. The only important thing is that it does arrive for some folks and it's what used to be called the brass ring on the merry go round. To survive you've got to grab that brass ring and go for it. Get off the merry go round.

W.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I guess this is a good place to reflect on the fact that today is 5 months for me. The reason for here is because your post put me in mind of all that I thought about this morning.

Remembering the person that I was 5 months ago and the mess that I had to be in order to make the decision to quit.

Thinking about all the blame that I would place on others and how stressed I said that I was at work. How miserable things were in my life. None of those things were true, at least not to the degree that I made them out to be. I just needed to create reasons to justify drinking.

I had no self esteem and hated myself. I hated that I drank and I hated who I was because I drank. So what did I do? I drank so that I wouldn't feel so bad about it. Wow, insanity at it's finest.

At this stage of the game if someone told me that there was a cure for this I would really have to think long and hard about if I wanted it.

As hard as parts of this journey have been I have come to know myself probably better than I ever have and am living well mentally, physically, and spiritually for the first time in my life.

I don't want to drink again. Ever, even if it was normally. Life is far better now than it ever was before. The small piece of me that has any intrigue whatsoever is the AV and I know that demon well. It can't beat me.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Fresh Start wrote in part: "I was trying to indicate that then, as now, many quit drinking by vowing to never drink again and to never change their mind. This isn't a trivial exercise, but a deeply considered solemn and binding promise. A pledge, if you will."

Yes, I agree that it's necessary to take the pledge, but the problem is that there are at least two (maybe many more) versions of "the pledge". The first is in small letters ("pledge") The second or crucial one comes in capital letters ("PLEDGE") Persons in recovery often take the small one ("This time I really mean it! I'm never going to drink again!") and often sadly find that something somehow goes wrong, doesn't go as expected, as promised, etc. etc. Things then progress from bad to worse. Another "pledge", another relapse. Then if you're lucky, if your back is really to the wall, maybe if you're scared out of your wits, -whatever. Then if you're lucky, may come THE PLEDGE. AVRT calls it THE BIG PLAN. AA calls it "Step One". Whatever version you take, it's the moment of truth. You can spend a lot of time kicking the can down the road. I know I did. But, again, if you're lucky, you may come to the moment of truth. Where does it come from? When does it happen? No one knows. The only important thing is that it does arrive for some folks and it's what used to be called the brass ring on the merry go round. To survive you've got to grab that brass ring and go for it. Get off the merry go round.

W.
I know perfectly well where my BIG PLAN of Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) came from and I knew perfectly well when it happened. That's the beauty of AVRT. There's no mystery about it. How many times could I ever take that last drink? ONCE! I knew that had happened. I was never going to experience that "DEEP PLEASURE" again, ever!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
I guess this is a good place to reflect on the fact that today is 5 months for me. The reason for here is because your post put me in mind of all that I thought about this morning.

Remembering the person that I was 5 months ago and the mess that I had to be in order to make the decision to quit.

Thinking about all the blame that I would place on others and how stressed I said that I was at work. How miserable things were in my life. None of those things were true, at least not to the degree that I made them out to be. I just needed to create reasons to justify drinking.

I had no self esteem and hated myself. I hated that I drank and I hated who I was because I drank. So what did I do? I drank so that I wouldn't feel so bad about it. Wow, insanity at it's finest.

At this stage of the game if someone told me that there was a cure for this I would really have to think long and hard about if I wanted it.

As hard as parts of this journey have been I have come to know myself probably better than I ever have and am living well mentally, physically, and spiritually for the first time in my life.

I don't want to drink again. Ever, even if it was normally. Life is far better now than it ever was before. The small piece of me that has any intrigue whatsoever is the AV and I know that demon well. It can't beat me.
Exciting and inspiring words Fresh, congrats!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was hoping this was a joke
because
I am not willing to go backwards and take a drink
mountainman
Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

You know it's funny, my gut response was "no thanks".

I've seen how destructive ingesting poison is, and quite frankly, I see no useful reason to drink even if I wasn't an alcoholic.

Although, I do still like the umami flavor it imparts on certain dishes. So maybe for that reason alone.

Oh, that and if I ever needed a limb amputated in the wild and they had no anesthesia. I think I might want some then. But other than that, no.