Notices

Head v's Heart - All advice is good advice

Old 10-24-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Head v's Heart - All advice is good advice

I don’t often start forums and I’ve never started a blog, hence I’m not quite sure where to place this. Perhaps a moderator will help me out and re-direct if so required.

I’ve been in SR for quite a while. I believe I registered 2012 but didn’t start posting until a year later. My class at the time (March 2013) are still going strong, well the ones I know of are, there may also be others who are going strong but just don’t feel any need any more to check in. I’ve faltered, too many occasions than I’d like to count any more. I’ve dipped in and out of classes, October 2013 my latest contribution….and must say, what a lovely bunch they seem to be. IN the long run however, it’s all whimsical, promise after promise. I’m not writing this down to disregard anyone who has sipped one, two, three hundred and two times, I’m writing this for the complete opposite effect.

I’ve reached so many times when I’ve muttered, and even written on here “this is it, no more day 1’s………la de da de da”, we know the rest.

The false promises, not only to myself, but also to my ATM (cash flow), my existing ‘real life friend’s, (for which there are few), to my GP who I saw today and also to my SR friends, these ‘promises’ have to stop………..my life is disintegrating in front of my eyes, along with my physical health, my bank balance and my once very open bubbly positive personality.

Now this may seem a little leftfield but I’m trained and haved worked in Psychiatry for many years. I took a backward leap to save face and for the safety of the clients. I was very young when I qualified, 21. In hindsight I don’t believe people should be allowed to be trained and registered at that age, what the hell did I know, I hadn’t lived life………….humm, sometimes I wish I still hadn’t (in the way I had). I’ve never ventured down the AA route, while not remaining directly in Psych therapy groups, I have however remained professionally within that genre. I really do now believe that from everything, every little hurdle, slip, trip, fall I’ve done over the past 20 years I’m ready to start applying for those type of jobs and starting again……kind of ike therapy through their eyes.

As I say, this might sound a little leftfield, but it’s not really a question that I could raise with an interviewer at the time.

I know we’re not supposed to discuss medical advise and I don’t believe this is but I’d appreciate your thoughts. To do, or not to do?...
Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by lifetplant View Post
I’m ready to start applying for those type of jobs and starting again……kind of ike therapy through their eyes.
I think you should work on your recovery and be sober a year before committing to any major change in your life...like a career change.

I don't know how to help you with accountability. But when you are ready to quit...really quit, you will do whatever it takes to get and stay sober.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry it has been a struggle.

If it is not working something has to change. I do not know whether it is a good idea, depends on how hard a job it is and how ready you are.

Take care and do not give up.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If i can't sort out (with help) my own problems with alcohol, and life after alcohol, how in the heck can i profess to have answers for others that are credible.......
For me the power of example works wonders.
G