Notices

Hello from Afterthought

Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Welcome AT! Look, why not do all you can and have available to you? Instead of giving reasons why you can't tell me how you can!

Like a heart surgeon do you want the best equipped OR, or the field hospital depicted in M.A.S.H.?

Our sobriety may require little or vast investments of our focus and time, half vast efforts never cut it.

Wise words. Perhaps I should not rule out anything in-patient and give myself that extra tool in the "toolbox" so to speak. I'll reconsider and take a look at some options that might not affect my studies. Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
Welcome, Afterthought. It does sound like moderation isn't the way to go, otherwise you probably wouldn't have a problem getting past 4 days. Is there something that keeps happening within those 4 days that makes you go back to drinking?
That's when I either start to get bored or the 'little voice' starts becoming stronger to stop by the Supermarket on the way home for some wine. Ugh.

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post
My plan leverages strengths as well as addressing weak areas. In your case, Afterthought, your advanced medical knowledge of the damaging effects of high volumes of alcohol is a strength as well as the self discipline you own to accomplish your studies. I apologize if this comes across as preachy. It's just one of the tools that's been working in my journey.
Thanks Like2Hike. I didn't take it as preachy at all, rather some sage words to reflect and consider. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
You sound like a pretty standard alcoholic to me
I am starting to come to this conclusion myself after much soul-searching and reflection.

To your comment about fellow clinicians in recovery, I understand and appreciate that. I think part of it is my own fear and apprehension about it becoming public knowledge. Perhaps I need to 'get over myself' in this regard.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Afterthought,

Welcome to SR! You have taken that first giant step with your admittance of your inability to control your alcohol intake.

I went to a counselor. It worked for me because it was a one on one face to face experience. I needed some personal accountability. No one has to know your business, but you will need guidance. AA was not for me because I was a very private person--probably to a fault.

You sound like you have the dream life--don't let it go---and it will if you don't seek help now. SR will always be here for you.

Best Wishes,
TrixMixer
Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
You sound like you have the dream life--don't let it go---and it will if you don't seek help now. SR will always be here for you.
Hi Trix,

I am blessed. Your response actually had me review how blessed I actually am, since there are many occasions in the middle of it that I forget. I'm in the process now of talking to professionals about my options forward.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Looking at options forward is well put. As opposed to framing the reasons past why we needed to stay the same and holding options backward dearly.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hello afterthought, this is my 14 th week tomorrow. Yes my body would love to give in to my cravings but my mind is made up and I have given in to it too many times over the years, it's had all the alcohol it's ever going to have, and I feel a hell of a lot better in so many ways. So good luck and keep positive and keep on visiting SR, I've had some great tips and experiences from reading these pages.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Looking at options forward is well put. As opposed to framing the reasons past why we needed to stay the same and holding options backward dearly.
I hear you, Itchy. I can't do that anymore. The current situation is completely unobtainable much less sustainable in any form. I can't do the status-quo anymore and still remain human in addition to something that I recognize. I can try (and even try to fake the results and circumstances that come from it), but nothing would ever truly change.

It would be cosmetic only, like a puppet master re-painting a face of a favorite puppet to suit the current trend to suit the customers. That isn't real life...

I would be just like a man that changes the scenery in a play or musical. I would re-arrange circumstances and possibilities, even with the hope and promise of change -- but with no real effect or causation on anyone that could affect the plot. In other words, no real affect at all or anything that would matter. It's an empty promise (or a threat depending on who you talk too), and one that would never lead to anything other than a broken heart.

I have to give up looking for options and make a commitment to some actual change rather than relying on platitudes or optimism. I have a problem now, not when I choose it to be convenient.

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hello afterthought, this is my 14 th week tomorrow. Yes my body would love to give in to my cravings but my mind is made up and I have given in to it too many times over the years, it's had all the alcohol it's ever going to have, and I feel a hell of a lot better in so many ways. So good luck and keep positive and keep on visiting SR, I've had some great tips and experiences from reading these pages.
Congrats on 14 weeks, Mags! I would love to get to the point where you are, and hope at sometime in the future I am. I can totally believe you that yuo feel better. I would love to be there. I'm starting to see the support I can receive here, and hope that helps push me to recovery -- in honesty, it already has..
Old 10-24-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Afterthought View Post
I can't moderate, EndGameNYC. I would so completely love too and still hold on to my "lover" that is two bottles of wine every night (on a good night). But in being honest with myself and anyone else that has any form of common sense I really cannot. Well, at least I cannot and still hold on to the 'core' person that I count as 'me'.

I have to choose. Do I want the life alcohol has given me, which is a false sense of security and a comfort zone or do I really want to live life? If I choose to really live life, I have to admit I need help to do so -- and that means giving up my crutches and support system of alcohol and replacing it with something real/physical.

It sucks.. bad... especially since I have to re-train myself to give up on things that I believed in that were false (i.e. the hope that alcohol provided).

However, when I examine the things I belived in, they are really only ghosts. Echos of things that I really wanted but never had -- Things that if I would only get sober and focus my 'awake' life on I could truly possess.

It's like a mirror of what I want but with a $#@! way of getting there. In essence, the "easy way out". Thank you for being an impetus to my recovery and thank you patricia68 and EndGameNYC for sharing your heart.
Hello again.

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I'm responding here.

The "easier, softer way" for me became working the AA Big Book Twelve Steps. Yes, it's work. But compared to all the planning, scheming, hiding, lying, daily binging and later recovering from the effects of alcohol...and just all the time and energy I put into drinking and thinking about drinking...it was more like a full-time job that was exhausting, had medical, social, professional, and emotional consequences, and there was little or no payoff.

I don't want any part of that ever again. I learned to like and enjoy my life through working and then living the twelve steps.

My profession, too, frowns on alcoholism and other addictions. Many of us actually provide treatment for addictions. After all but destroying my professional reputation, I was able to get back to working in my field about eighteen months into sobriety, and I'm loving my work more now than at any other time in my career. Except the early part when I was taking in my learning and supervision at every turn.

At twenty six months sober following a three-year relapse during which I lost everyone and everything dear to me in life, all is well.