Notices

Just needed to post this morning

Old 10-23-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just needed to post this morning

Hey y'all, day 3 here and the anxiety in the morning ( like 4am and on) is awful.... I can't stop my brain from depressive and anxious thoughts and just feel like I'm going crazy.... Not too mention I have a huge stressful day of work ahead of me today and I can't focus at all. The anxious thoughts will go away in time,I know, but they are really starting to freak me out and scare me..... I tried a gratitude meditation this morning and that seemed to calm me down a little bit and I fell back asleep for like an hour.... But woke back up just as anxious..... I have no desire to pick up a drink at all, these anxious thoughts are driving me crazy though..... I'd be interested in hearing other stories and what kind of anxious thoughts y'all had or you have when you get panicky......
Old 10-23-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ryan, day 3 is a toughie, but very doable
I'm wondering if you'd be a little stressed today anyway, as you say you have a stressful day at work? Am sure once you get going and out into the fresh air, things will start to feel better (bit like going to the dentist - always feel better once i'm resigned to it and on my way there)

Hang in there !!

Xx
Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

that sounds pretty debilitating - have you thought about seeing a Dr or a counsellor at all, Ryan?

D
Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think day 3 was my most difficult day. It does get better and easier.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
that sounds pretty debilitating - have you thought about seeing a Dr or a counsellor at all, Ryan? D
I see an addiction counselor once a week and I see her tomorrow.... But you're right on with that word "debilitating" is how I feel
Old 10-23-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're concerned enough about it, it might be good to bring it up - your addictions counsellor may have some ideas, or a few names if they themselves are not trained in that area?

best wishes anyway

D
Old 10-23-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Check your breathing pattern and concentrate on diaphragmatic breaths.

Anxiety makes us chest breathe which perpetuates the anxiety.

Your shoulders should not be moving up and down during deep breaths. Belly should be extending only.

It has been said depression is living in the past, anxiety is living in the future.
In this moment, right now, is all well ? Stay in the present. It's all we have.

Be well and remember, this too shall pass.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, anxiety was my constant companion when I was not drinking. Could't even leave the house or answer the phone because of the fear.
I remember, after a particulaly bad drunk, hiding in my closet I was so full of fear.

You're in early sobriety, things will get better. Day three is tough, but things WILL get better the further away you get from a drink.

I've been in your shoes, so I can relate. Avoid caffeine! And, any this else that causes you anxiety, if possible.
Keep posting and let us know your progress. We're all here for you.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Oh, anxiety was my constant companion when I was not drinking. Could't even leave the house or answer the phone because of the fear. I remember, after a particulaly bad drunk, hiding in my closet I was so full of fear. You're in early sobriety, things will get better. Day three is tough, but things WILL get better the further away you get from a drink. I've been in your shoes, so I can relate. Avoid caffeine! And, any this else that causes you anxiety, if possible. Keep posting and let us know your progress. We're all here for you.
Thank you! I can just tell my brain is just beyond exhaustion!!! I have slept maybe 6 hours total the last 2 nights and stressing at work because I have a huge exam tomorrow for it and I am totally not prepared for it...... I can't wait till I can get a good nights rest!! There's nothing better than that!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of good books on dealing with anxiety and panic attacks.

One of them is "From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep in mind that there are sooooooo many of us here that can totally relate to what you are going through.....it is normal.....and you are not alone SR is always here for you It is ok to take little "time out's" during your day to breathe, listen to relaxing music, or look at images that are inspirational. Go easy on the caffeine although I know I drank a lot of it in my early recovery! You can do this!!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anxiety after drinking is what led me to drinking in the morning. I had to skip my coffee and drink wine instead to calm me down, stop the withdrawals.

Some of your anxiety can be attributed to being in very early recovery. After stopping drinking your anxiety shifts into high gear without it's normal depressant. With time it should get better, as will your sleeping. If it doesn't get better after a month or two then you might want to see your doctor.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
Keep in mind that there are sooooooo many of us here that can totally relate to what you are going through.....it is normal.....and you are not alone SR is always here for you It is ok to take little "time out's" during your day to breathe, listen to relaxing music, or look at images that are inspirational. Go easy on the caffeine although I know I drank a lot of it in my early recovery! You can do this!!
Thanks! I know everybody can relate.... I dig myself a hole and the anxiety tries to convince my mind that I'm bi polar, or a 100 other things and I start diagnosing myself, which throws me into panic haha. But I understand how screwed up my brain is right now and there's no way to diagnose some underlying problem right now.... The only way to get the right help is to stay sober and let my brain sort it self out for a bit!

Any of you guys start "self diagnosing " yourself with anything like that early in sobriety?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was feeling the same way with the anxiety. I went to the addiction doctor yesterday and they put me on some anxiety meds (non-addictive) which helps a great deal. The anxiety medication was critical to me in early recovery the first time around because I felt like I could take an anxiety pill instead of a drink or two before going to family functions and whatnot.