Notices

What do I need to know

Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do I need to know

About going to my first AA meeting? I am going mostly to try to begin to find some sober friends.

What do I need to know? Do I have to talk/introduce myself? Is there a rule about what I can or cannot say? What can you tell me to give me the confidence to go tomorrow?

Thanks, all.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Introduce yourself and just say I'd like to listen. Just go, you'll be ok. You'll get the hang of it quickly, rootin for ya.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At my very first meeting I didn't say anything, and that's OK. They'll ask if this is anyone's first meeting, and if you feel comfortable introduce yourself. I didn't feel comfortable doing it (I was scared out of my mind at my first meeting), so I just listened. Meetings are actually quite calming for me. No reason to be nervous at all.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a pretty good link:
Your First AA Meeting<
Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i know a few people who went there mainly to find sober friends. look, i don't mean to sound rude, but AA isn't a social gathering of alcoholics. that happens before and after the meeting so you can make your friendships there. arrive early, stay late but at meeting time, absorb everything you can. take direction from the sober alcoholics, start looking around for a sponsor (or ask someone about theirs!), get yourself a big book and find someone to take you through the steps. gather all the phone numbers you can to use when you need them. i don't doubt that you'll find sober friendship at AA but that shouldn't be your focus. focus on what you need to do to get and stay sober. having a sober community is only a part of the equation.

just my two cents
Old 10-22-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
The thing about AA meetings is that every single person in the room you go to had to walk through the door the same way you will. They will understand exactly how you are feeling. Do what makes you feel comfortable. Then wash, rinse, and repeat.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you don't have to share if you don't feel ready. concentrate on finding the similarities, not the differences.

i really hope this works for you. AA is saving my life, one day at a time.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
About going to my first AA meeting? I am going mostly to try to begin to find some sober friends.

What do I need to know? Do I have to talk/introduce myself? Is there a rule about what I can or cannot say? What can you tell me to give me the confidence to go tomorrow?

Thanks, all.
From one Grace to another....

You do not have to introduce yourself if you don't want to. There are some meetings that have an introduction section at the beginning where everyone takes a turn and introduces themselves, you can just say " Hi, I am Grace" and it moves to the next person.

There are no rules against what you can or cannot say only that you takes turns. No interrupting or comments while another is sharing. If you want to share then you state your name and then share. It is one at a time. When someone is sharing they have the floor.

I would advise just to go and listen. You can learn a lot by watching how the meeting plays out. Some meetings jump right to the new person and go out of their way to welcome them, while others let the newcomer come to them but you will always find several people that are going to want to help and give information.

Good luck and let us know who it went. I may not be there physically but as an AA member I will be there in spirit
Old 10-23-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. Very helpful information! I plan to go at noon today. Nervous, but optimistic!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Thanks, everyone. Very helpful information! I plan to go at noon today. Nervous, but optimistic!
Keep us updated and keep coming back