Notices

Fatty/Enlarged Liver

Old 10-22-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fatty/Enlarged Liver

Anyone out there have issues with a fatty liver or an enlarged liver? If so, did you see changes after being in recovery? Did you have symptoms which drove you to the doctor?

I have been diagnosed with a fatty liver and I know (or suspect) it is due to years of alcohol abuse. Curious to see if others have experienced this and to what extent.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I had this, and more. I also was quite overweight and had undiagnosed diabetes. I had to have a liver biopsy and went through a scary time, actually.

Now, after lsoing 50 pounds, some periods of sobriety(I have struggled here and there) and with my BG under control, my liver has gone back to a normal size and my blood tests have been normal for a couple of years.

This is simething that needs medical attention if you think you have a problem. Are you under the care of a doctor?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

My liver ached for a few months before I quit and led to me quitting (thought I wasn't diagnosed with a fatty liver). Now my liver counts are normal.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had fairly acute abdominal pain on my right side for the last few months that I drank. I stopped drinking 2 months ago and the pain has lessened considerably. I will see a physician in a few weeks and come clean on my past drinking and see where we go from there.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had elevated counts but not enlarged or fatty liver. That improved along with just about every other aspect of my health when I quit drinking. Listening to what your doctor recommends is the most important thing you can do, and eating healthy and appropriate exercise for your fitness level can't hurt either.

The one absolute certainty though is that quitting drinking will be a positive step for you if you haven't already.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Try reading: The Liver and Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse by Andreas Moritz. It goes into great detail on what is wrong with your liver and how you can fix it. Look it up on Amazon. I haven't done the cleanse yet, but I will probably be doing one in 2 weeks. I am 2 chapters in and it has already talked about Fatty Liver. Worth a read just to gain knowledge of your Liver even if you don't do the cleanse.
I stumbled upon it while researching a gallbladder issue that I thought was my liver acting up again.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with fatty liver back in 2009 and it's all the more reason for me to stay sober.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had fatty liver, elevated enzymes, lots of tests, biopsy etc etc etc. Until I got real about my drug use, lost 40 lbs, started exercising, stopped drinking alcohol, cut down on sugar, cut out fast food - all that - my liver got better and I was out of the weeds so to speak.

The best reason to stop is the move that moves you to - this was a big mover for me.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The liver is one organ that has an amazing ability to heal itself - but you have to stop drinking to see if it will.

Can't hurt to try, will it?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

I have fatty liver but my liver function came back satisfactory. Im not really over weight either, so i think its down to medication and alcohol.