Notices

My quitting log.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

--added to previous post--
Old 10-23-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Interesting about feeling cold. Just prior to 8 days ago I HAD to have the air conditioning on at night to sleep. Now it is just a fan and I am FINE. Glad to hear that you are feeling better as well
Old 10-23-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good job so far. Keep focused, I'm convinced it will be worth it.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

this must be what they said to me in AA when i started about newcomers being a good reminder of where we all start sobriety from.

your diary of the first 3 days put me right back in that nightmare. freezing, sweating, anxiety. i tried to eat peas with my dinner on day 2 the last time i quit and just threw them all over the floor, i was shaking so badly.

my final (please the gods) detox wasn't too painful as i was in hospital after a suicide attempt and was on IV fluids for 3 days. i've been in AA 3 weeks today and the 'mental obsession' with drinking is lifting. i never thought it would.

you are doing amazingly well. hang onto this. i am still trying to rebuild my relationship with my daughter, who is living with her dad while i get my feet under me.

keep on keeping on. i'm right here alongside you.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i think your HR might be slowing a bit and your BP might be lower with no booze.

good solid sleep helps to repair the brain function too. try some fruit in the morning (replaces the alcohol sugar you were used to)...i take B-6 and biotin supplements at night. by the time i quit, i had lost almost 50% of my hair, it was coming out in the shower, my drain was full.

glad to hear that you are on day 5! (or 4)?

for a bit of motivation you might want to take a weekly picture of yourself (bathroom mirror). you will be surprised how different your face looks.

i'm glad you are here and post as much as you need to.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Dear onthebrink, Thank you for sharing your journal. I'm sure it will be helpful to many. I'm happy you are doing well. Love and hugs to you. It will get better with sobertime.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you onthebrink, so much for sharing your journal. I'm loving this thread.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

This place is an amazing resource for information and support, I'm thankful to YOU guys!

In case anyone is wondering where I started, here's my first post. It explains how much I was drinking et all: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...need-help.html

Warning, I sound pretty damn pathetic. Maybe I should re-read that thread the next time I have the urge to hit the liquor store.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You do not sound pathetic. You were heartfelt and reaching out, that's what SR is for. (and we are free too).

you are doing great, one day at a time, you are feeling better physically and emotionally.

the economy is a roller coaster for most of us these days, i hope it evens out for you soon. I gather that you can get insurance because they won't cover a pre-existing condition. i know how expensive it is to go to the oncologist...i would think you might be qualifying for a clinical trial that would provide free office visits? (there are many different kinds where i work).

I hope you feel better after this week.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
You do not sound pathetic. You were heartfelt and reaching out, that's what SR is for. (and we are free too).

you are doing great, one day at a time, you are feeling better physically and emotionally.

the economy is a roller coaster for most of us these days, i hope it evens out for you soon. I gather that you can get insurance because they won't cover a pre-existing condition. I know how expensive it is to go to the oncologist...i would think you might be qualifying for a clinical trial that would provide free office visits? (there are many different kinds where i work).

I hope you feel better after this week.
Exactly. But ObamaCare was supposed to fix that...won't go in to political topics here but I'm still not approved at any rate I can afford. My business that supported 75% of our family's expenses for the last 10 years is still there but struggling. I'm lucky I kept my CEUs up to date or I'd be really screwed right now. So, for now I work two jobs just to try and keep food on the table and a roof over our heads. My husband works too, don't mean to sell him short - but it's never enough with those bills. Right now I told him I don't want to dwell, fixate, or fret over medical expenses. We will pay what we can, when we can and we will get through it. Added stress is not needed right now. He, thankfully, understands that.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Think of all I'll save not buying vodka though!! Seems pretty dumb looking back.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Another coupla days down !!!!

YOU GOT THIS.

XO AO
Old 10-25-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

10/24 - Day 5

Was a small slice of mental hell. It was my first day off mid week since quitting. As in, a day all to myself with no one to be accountable to. Who would know if I had one little drink? I had to go get groceries right next to the liquor store. You're going home to an empty house, what's one little drink? See, a battle of wills with my AV for half the day. By 2 it was time for the first child to be picked up from school so we went shopping for Mom & Dad's Halloween costumes at the thrift store. Thank goodness for distractions!! I really thought I was going to cave. Physically I feel good. Emotionally I'm a wreck. Still trying to convince myself I can have just one when I just went through hell a few days ago? That's nuts!! Physically I'm the same as day 4 a few posts back. Emotionally, I'm okay unless I feel like someone is questioning me about something (not even alcohol related), then I get very defensive.

10/25 - Day 6

Glad I didn't cave. The urge passed eventually. I didn't have to hide anything from my husband. I was a productive member of the family rather than sitting on my butt drinking all day. Physical symptoms: still colder than usual for me. Still having vivid dreams. Still waking up sweating. Still getting anxiety. BUT, I'm also not puffy, alert, no dark circles, no blotchy face and have more energy. Getting up to prep some stuffed peppers for the slow cooker, pack lunches and be off to work!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good for you! I had cravings yesterday as well....but now, as we both know (since we made it) they do pass. Woke up this morning feeling great! On day 11 and I don't have to use the air conditioner at night anymore Gonna try to make it a productive, great day today
Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

10/26 - Day 7

Feeling less irritable today. My husband seems to get the brunt of it, unfortunately. If I'm snappy it's always him I snap at. Poor guy. He's not innocent either, he certainly knows how to push my buttons. Had a Halloween party to go to tonight, stuck with the "youthful spirits" aka no alcohol. Had fun. Liked that I wasn't saying something stupid or worried about saying something stupid or being hurt by something a family member said - typical at gatherings with my family. Came home a couple hours later and climbed in to bed with a book.

10/27 - Day 8

Would I like a drink? Yes. What am I going to do about it? Go weed the flower beds, then start a new book. Clean the house, do laundry, prepare for the week ahead. Stay busy. I think I'm over the detox aside from mode swings. Now I just need to put at gag in the AV's mouth.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good for you onthebrink! You're doing great resisting that AV voice. It does fade and then things get a lot easier. Have a great Sunday.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good for you, onthebrink! I am on day 13, and completely over the detox part of it....still fighting the AV at times, but not as often
Old 11-02-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Back to day 1.

Made it to day 11 then the AV got the better of me. Evil b!tch. That's what I'm calling her now...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4271262

Felt important to add this here for me, and for anyone like me who starts by searching threads looking for help.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Okay, I just reread all of my posts and I feel like such an idiot!! On my other thread great advice was given. I need to print this out an carry it with me, I felt SO good. Proud of myself. Why did I give that up?? I got NO satisfaction, hell, I was drinking alone. I got nothing done and now I feel like crap physically and mentally. How evil is alcohol to treat me this way? I think I've made a decision, to not be mad at myself because that just leads me further in to hell. I need someone to blame though, it's the beast, AV. It's not a scapegoat, but someone to blame other than myself because I'm already too hard on myself. I think a lot of us here have that in common actually and it's a vicious circle. Blame. Guilt. Drink.

Deep breaths. Here I go again. Day 1. I can do this. I'm a tough girl. I've been through a LOT in my life and survived! I can beat this too damn it!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

You're a tough broad, and YOU CAN BEAT THIS.

You are so worth it.

XO AO