Notices

If you were told you couldn't eat bananas...

Old 10-22-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think my "VERY well" comment was misunderstood... I wasn't saying that in an emotional or physical regard, more in a spatial sense... I don't know how to explain it really. Not sure I really feel I should have to. I am by no means promoting drinking! Sorry to ruffle feathers or make people uneasy!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
I think my "VERY well" comment was misunderstood... I wasn't saying that in an emotional or physical regard, more in a spatial sense... I don't know how to explain it really. Not sure I really feel I should have to. I am by no means promoting drinking! Sorry to ruffle feathers or make people uneasy!
You don't own anyone any explanations but yourself. And frankly you've been here long enough that you should know any mention of moderation around here is going to create some backlash/negative reactions. It's just the nature of the beast - alcoholics cannot moderate, period, and we are alcoholics ( SR in general I mean) And in the sense that your eventual goal is sobriety, moderation is a failure of that goal - so "doing very well" doesn't seem appropriate in any shape or form.

It's great that you are seeking help, and I truly do hope you do find the inspiration you need before another rock bottom does come around. Because as you personally know from your drinking history, it will come again -it's only a matter of time.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Thanks for all the responses. I truly appreciate your time! However I don't need anyone feeling bad for me... yes, my situation is not ideal, but I am working on things, sought out outside help ( which for me was huge) and know that the final outcome will be giving up alcohol completely. For now though, I am not drinking excessively, and have long periods of not drinking with periods of drinking in the mix. I am finding a path that works for me. I am not going to spril or hit rock bottom before i tackle this. I don't need a pity party. I'm confident I'll be ok. We all get to sobriety our own way right?
We definitely have to find our own way to sobriety. I tried many times to moderate and for me, it certainly didn't work.

When you start a thread you are going to get many different responses. People are giving your their experiences when it comes to moderating. Which in most cases ended up not working.

The journey to sobriety is not easy for anyone that is for sure. Sometimes it is baby steps.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This day is annoying me. I may be reflecting that here... I think I will head out to clear my mind.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I get that moderation is a touchy subject here. Sooooo.... I guess just post if you're getting wasted, or completely sober?? I read posts very frequently and it seems like people admitting to still binging get more support then people trying to taper down or moderate. I know that people who are sober are just trying to help, but I sure hope that if someday down the road I am sober and come on here to help people, I don't pass judgement or negativity on to them. For the most part I feel like people here are supportive but sometimes not so much. I always hesitate before pressing that post button... with good reason I guess.
People aren't judging you, just telling you what they have found in trying to moderate. Can you honestly say you are trying your best to quit drinking by continuing to drink, even if in smaller quantities? You don't need to answer that publicly, just answer it for yourself.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

bananas are usually my last option for any meal...so basically i wouldn't care if they vanished from the face of this earth
Old 10-22-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
bananas are usually my last option for any meal...so basically i wouldn't care if they vanished from the face of this earth
Kind of off topic, but when I went to the ER the first time I tried to detox on my own, they told me I was very low on potassium and that I should eat bananas to help bring the levels back up. I always kind of disliked bananas but now I eat one every morning just because it's become a habit. It's also a reminder of the ER and the damage drinking did to me.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Off, off topic.
I made banana dog treats a couple of weeks ago. My dog somehow got into the bag and ate over half of them in one shot. He was very ill a while later.
Apparently he cannot moderate his intake of his drug of choice.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This day is annoying me. I may be reflecting that here... I think I will head out to clear my mind.
My day is similar. Almost five months of sobriety and today anxiety was nipping at my heels all day like a mean dog (and this after a great work out at the gym this morn). The anxiety and irritation so overwhelming it was like even my very skin felt tender. I couldn't seem to abate it and the visions of a chilled glass of white wine danced in my head like a magic elixir.

"Just one" was reverberating through my brain. It'll take the edge off..nothing else seems to be helping. People have been driving you insane for days and they won't get off...Have a drink..end the madness...just relax.

This is what I was fighting when I read the post that you are moderating and defending it. Perhaps there were twinges of envy..but more than that...anger.

I'm a barely managed human...today more than ever...so forgive me, if I see no issue with folks responding without support for moderation. They are people here...on the brink sometimes....just so ya know.

Fortunately, my schedule today afforded me the luxury of driving out to the water and just sitting in my truck and zoning out for an hour and a half.

I got through today...so far...without a drink. It can hurt at almost 5 months too Pinot.

Over and out.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

something I don't understand:
how "moderating" and doin it 'secretly" equals 'doin It well."
Old 10-24-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well, I wish you success if you decide to drink, PinotNomore. Moderation didn't work for me but maybe it will work for you. I hope you will continue to stick around SR while you sort things out.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Know what I call an alcoholic who tries moderation because they feel deprived? Bananas.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Could you smoke the bananas?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

In my opinion the therapist was simple trying to show you the association of a banana being anything you ingest. The banana has no power there for sure you could give it up forever.

Take the power away from alcohol...... And I'm certain you can give it up forever! Alcohol has zero power to me at this stage so I do understand their analogy. And yes I could never eat a banana again or drink alcohol.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Magsie

I envied people who drank socially. That isn't me, one was never enough, I made the decision just like a light switch turning on but after many many years of self battle convincing myself I can control the booze, so stopped, and feel tons better every day, freedom from the 'crutch' I've had or hid behind all my life.
My husband left after an almighty row. We are reconciled but I looked at myself for what I had become and did not like it. A friend told me she could stop drinking if it ever affected her health then she had kidney problems and found she couldn't stop like she thought she can. So bananas , lettuce or anything which would prove addictive to me I will refrain. All the best with your journey, Pinot.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
I also think there is a tendency to want to pull people into sobriety. Someone quoted the Big Book. It also says that if you think you can control your drinking, go ahead and try. If you succeed, more power to you. Everyone must come to their own conclusion as to whether they need to quit.
I really love this. I came to my own conclusion, utterly.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

If I was told that I could not eat Bananas any longer....I would freak out. I love Bananas and I eat them daily. I feel incomplete when I do not eat one. However, if it was a matter between life and death. I would give up the Banana and choose life.

So, with the alcohol. It could be as simple as "Alcoholism will kill me if left untreated. I will treat this Alcoholism with abstinence. Not drinking is the solution."
Old 10-24-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Tell your counselor to stop having sex. Ever. And see how easy that is for her. Giving up alcohol is nothing like giving up eating bananas.