Notices

Day 7 but worried about tomorrow

Old 10-21-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 but worried about tomorrow

I know that it is best to live in the present, for today is all we truly have...one day at a time....BUT...I am finally feeling up to getting out of the house. My husband wants to go do some shopping for the house tomorrow and I want to go too. However, I am filled with fear. Since we have lived in this country (Costa Rica) for 3 years now (and I relapsed), every time we drive somewhere we have always had a cooler of beer in the car. Police here are almost non-existent, and we live very rurally, so we have never worried about being stopped. My husband is able to drink beer all day....never showing signs of drinking (although at one time, years ago, he attended AA with me). He is still drinking beer and I am sure he will bring a cooler. Often we would stop along the way, either into town or on the way back home, (sometimes both ways) for more beers at beach bars, etc. Soooooo.....I am worried to death about how I am going to get through tomorrow, with this cooler of beer in the car....and him drinking it.....and stopping for lunch....and...and....and. I am planning on taking bottled water...but I know it is going to be tough. Right this minute I am focusing on today and doing what's in front of me, but tomorrow will be here soon enough. Yikes!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How about staying at home and doing something there.
break the habits of danger
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's true....but, I haven't been out of the house in over a month....I am getting really stir crazy. We just moved into a new house and I have been to town only once. I don't even know where we live....lol...Prior to our move-in, I broke my ankle and was non-weight bearing for over 2 months.....interestingly, I didn't really drink during that time, in order to do PT and to begin to heal. Then, when I was able to walk, I was afraid to drink, for fear of falling. Now that I can walk again...I really wanna get out.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi trudgingagain,

It sounds like you are in a unique situation. Living in another country with a spouse that likes to drink significant amounts of alcohol. They say that when recovering, stay away from people and situations that will encourage drinking. This is your husband though, which puts you in a tough, tough spot. Most alcoholics that are married are either left by their spouse, or, if they are lucky enough to still be married, their spouses want them to stop.

In your case, your husband still drinks heavily himself. And as you know, we are only going to stop when we really want to and not be talked into it.

You must think of your sobriety first if you really want it that bad. Ask him if he wouldn't mind holding off on the beers around you for the day. If he can't agree, then you're better off staying home sober.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, basketball....I totally agree and I am going to talk to him. I think he may do it. He has been very supportive of me getting sober (again). I remained sober for years after our marriage....so a sober person is who he married...not me as a drunk again. He has cut down his beer considerably since I quit recently, and agreed to remove all of it from the house. Maybe he will do this too?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OMG! I just talked to my husband about tomorrow. He said that it never occurred to him to bring a cooler. He said he knows I want to stay sober and that he would never do anything to make it more difficult. I told him how I was struggling right now. He completely understood and said "The days of the cooler in the car are over". I cried....now, it is up to me! Thanks, basketball....don't think I would have mentioned it to him. Just toughed it out. It was no big deal to him and he actually thanked me for bringing it up
Old 10-21-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

an example of how our perception of things is outta whack.
Now go and see the world
Old 10-21-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Love it!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

What a brilliant thread this is! So pleased at the way it's turned out, trudging! I think both you and your husband rock - and basketball, too!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gotta say, I am pretty surprised myself....just went for a walk on the beach....came back and was talking to hubby about how I really felt like having a beer. He IMMEDIATELY took his out of my sight and we were able to talk through my craving....I guess I don't give the guy enough credit.....and another example of perceptions being outta whack
Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
Gotta say, I am pretty surprised myself....just went for a walk on the beach....came back and was talking to hubby about how I really felt like having a beer. He IMMEDIATELY took his out of my sight and we were able to talk through my craving....I guess I don't give the guy enough credit.....and another example of perceptions being outta whack
Give him a huge hug, trudging! He sounds like one in a million
Old 10-21-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

He is indeed...thanks so much!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nice thread. It is totally insane how we can become so convinced of something, and yet be so far off the mark. I gave up trying to read minds a while ago and life is a lot easier.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by basketball View Post
Hi trudgingagain,

It sounds like you are in a unique situation. Living in another country with a spouse that likes to drink significant amounts of alcohol. They say that when recovering, stay away from people and situations that will encourage drinking. This is your husband though, which puts you in a tough, tough spot. Most alcoholics that are married are either left by their spouse, or, if they are lucky enough to still be married, their spouses want them to stop.

In your case, your husband still drinks heavily himself. And as you know, we are only going to stop when we really want to and not be talked into it.

You must think of your sobriety first if you really want it that bad. Ask him if he wouldn't mind holding off on the beers around you for the day. If he can't agree, then you're better off staying home sober.
Yes, I totally agree. If he can't do that for the one he loves, perhaps he needs to address his own drinking behaviour and you should definitely stay at home. Put your sobriety first.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
sorry, i didn't ready the whole thread before my earlier response. That's fantastic, I'm happy for you. Keep up the good work. I don't give my husband enough credit either sometimes.