Notices

Spouse Drinking

Old 10-21-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Spouse Drinking

Good Morning! I hope today finds you well. I'm hoping to find an active thread to meet others who have made the decision to stop drinking but their spouse/partner has not (I've searched the boards but could only find some old threads).

Thanks so much!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there! I am in the same position as you. I decided to stop drinking but my husband continues to drink every night. It's been really hard but I've been getting through it.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting :o) What is the hardest part for you?

Originally Posted by BrinnLinnx2 View Post
Hi there! I am in the same position as you. I decided to stop drinking but my husband continues to drink every night. It's been really hard but I've been getting through it.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same for me as well but I continue to use it as an excuse to indulge. I'm married to a daily drinker and we've quit several times. The longest being a year. I worry that when we do quit, she is only doing it to be supportive.

I would like to know how people are able to quit when there is always alcohol available.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting BeerTooth. I guess I was able to quit and stay away from it because I finally decided that I no longer wanted it to be part of who I am. There were too many negatives for me and it took me almost 30 years to realize.

What is your reason for quitting?

Originally Posted by BeerTooth View Post
Same for me as well but I continue to use it as an excuse to indulge. I'm married to a daily drinker and we've quit several times. The longest being a year. I worry that when we do quit, she is only doing it to be supportive.

I would like to know how people are able to quit when there is always alcohol available.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoenix299 View Post
Thanks for posting BeerTooth. I guess I was able to quit and stay away from it because I finally decided that I no longer wanted it to be part of who I am. There were too many negatives for me and it took me almost 30 years to realize.

What is your reason for quitting?
Drinking depresses me and I'm perfectly happy when sober. It seems like it would be an easy decision. Even if I only have 4 or 5 beers I get the 3am wake up call so I can lay there and worry myself to death.

We hang around people that don't drink and most of our activities are fitness releated so it would seem that we are in the perfect position to quit. My wife is a really fun person to drink with but I'm really worried she is going to develop health problems.

I've got to quit making excuses and be a supportive husband.

Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My spouse does drink on a nightly basis. My decision to quit was due to my inability to maintain my composure while under the influence. I can not expect anyone to follow in my steps. This decision is mine to deal with. That is not to say that I do not get a little tired of the daily alcohol consumption by my partner. However, I can not nor do I wish to control anyone and their choices. I take it one day at a time. I would like my spouse to maybe spend a night or two not drinking his beer, but when someone is active in their own alcoholism, there really is nothing that can be done until the person is ready to make a change. I am grateful that I have freedom from alcohol today.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We have a special forum for friends and family of alcoholics. Take a look and post your questions there if you like.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husband is a daily beer drinker. Always has been. When we married (15 years ago) I was comfortable in my sobriety. As the years passed, and I relapsed...and got back into the program, he eventually came with me....but, he did not work the steps or stay. Since I have (again) relapsed, I am fortunate that he is so supportive. He has cut way back and removed the alcohol from the house. I KNOW that I have to do this for ME. Somehow he is able to drink ( a lot) of beer and remain coherent and totally functioning. I cannot do that anymore. Is it tough, absolutely...but this is my life that I have to deal with. Maybe one day he will join me in sobriety.