Notices

Hello Everyone -

Old 10-21-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone -

I happened upon this forum as I was poking around trying to educate myself about my mother's pproblem.

She's 83, living now in an assisted living facility and doing well.

Alcoholism runs in her family, most of which have passed on now. Before August, this year, she was still at home and going through Scotch at night as if it were Kool-Aid.

She never felt good (but it was always some other excuse why) and was falling too frequently. We got her into the facility where she is under 24 hour supervision and she's not drinking.

She wasn't there a week and she fell down at 3 AM in her room -right in front of the door so the aides had a heck of a time getting in to help her.

That was the tipping point. After spending most of the day in the hospital she hasn't been given the opportunity to take a drink and has accepted it.

She is (of course) feeling well and had gotten stronger since then.

I do see signs of anger that I suspect she harbors toward us for not letting her drink. And, I think about the possibility of a relapse if she finds a way to get her hands on some scotch.

So far, so good.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'm glad your mother is in a safe place. My mom is also in assisted living due to dementia. She hates it but at least we know she's in a safe place.