Notices

Failed again

Old 10-20-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Susan: Glad you are trying again. I went through a couple of relapses before I finally made it to 45 days (which is where I am now). I have issues with the whole God thing also - I believe in God - but just the whole "pray to not drink when you are feeling like drinking" I haven't really "felt" that works for me yet. I call people I have met and say "Hey I'm having a ****** day and I really want to drink." They will usually talk me down and get me to redirect on other activities: cleaning my house, crocheting (yes I've learned to crochet while in recovery), anything OTHER than drinking. We liked to drink when we were bored, angry, happy, you get the point. It's a habit of "coping" for us. But you can break it. For me right now my God is my own inner perseverance of knowing how sh*tty I feel after drinking and all the damage I do while I'm drinking. I can drink, anytime I want, I just can't drink safely or sanely - so it's best for me to avoid it. Hang in there find some support.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by onthebrinj View Post
You fall, you get up, dust yourself off, seek a supportive network of friends and get back to it. I think it would be a safe bet that most of us have tried and relapsed more than once but there are many here who have fought the beast and won. It can be done. And you can do it!! I'm new too and would not be surprised at all to see myself posting this same thing at some point. But I think we can make it.

I'm thinking of it like a baby learning to walk at the moment. Stand up, fall down, stand up, fall down, stand up...take a few steps forward...keep going until you don't fall down again.

Hang in there!
Hear hear. Spot on. It took me more than 25 years but I got there in the end.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Susan80 View Post
Thank you so much everyone. I am thinking about going to aa with my friend. She said that she has met great people there and I think I need the support at the moment.
Good. Just go. It's an hour out of your life, and you might hear something that can save your life.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the hope during this thread. I went on a bender both Fri and Sat nights. Just drinking alone in my apt., reading, listening to music, and watching movies. Today, Sunday, I feel completely miserable and disgusted. There's an AA club up the street which I've been to but I'm afraid to go to it alone. I need to discuss the meeting afterwards instead of heading back to my lonely apartment.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Do it. Go to the meeting. I'm not a religious person, well, I used to be but life has left me down a lot lately...or has it been the alcohol? That is the question isn't it?

But, I would still recommend the AA meeting. It is helpful to be welcomed by so many people who know what you are going through and, believe it or not, you'll find a lot of them have delt with even more than you are are okay now. That in itself is encouraging. They will support you, they only want to help you. It is better than drinking that's for damn sure!
Old 10-20-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The "higher power" thing puts me off, but I suppose don't knock it until you try it. . .
Hey Susan... I know what you mean. I'm not a religious person at all, however, I went to my first AA meetings last week and what I have realised over the last week or so is that the planets all aligned to bring about several small miracles in my life. "the Universe" got me into AA last week, "The Universe" was watching over me 15 years ago when I nearly lost my life, "The Universe" brought me several people in AA one of whom is now my unofficial sponsor and who I can already feel is going to be a significant person in my recovery. "The Universe" got me to call my sponsor this morning to talk through my relapse over the weekend instead of throwing in the towel, missing meetings and just carrying on drinking. "The Universe" is my higher power, it doesn't have to be god or any religious figure. Have there been times in your life you can think of when you felt like an angel was watching over you? That my friend is your higher power. You just have to be willing to see it.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

Keep trying! That's what I'm doing! No matter how many times I fail, I will keep trying for sobriety as long as I'm breathing! Going to a meeting with your friend sounds like a great idea! I stayed sober in AA for 14 months. When I distanced myself from AA is when I really started having problems staying sober. I plan on going back to AA really soon!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have failed again and got drunk yesterday. So much for all my hard work!! I was only going to have "two," but as usual in was more like 8. So fed up with myself.
I've been there Susan. IMO your trouble started when you thought you could stop after two drinks. That was my problem. I had to finally get rid of any notion that I could ever drink normally. Once I did, staying stopped became easier.

I'd say you need to fully convince yourself that you can't drink normally, and the only option is to quit for good.

Keep at it, it will eventually click.