Notices

Protector in Dream

Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Protector in Dream

So I wanted to share this in a thread and ask other people if they have had similar experiences. This may sound strange or odd but it has helped me stay sober tonight, my 21st sober, and I feel like I was given a chance to see something about myself that I normally ignore or pretend is not there...

Last night I had a dream and in the dream I was in my bed, sleeping on the same side I normally sleep on, the only difference was there was an enormous ox standing beside me, looking at me, and breathing. I looked at it, it looked at me, and for a while nothing happened. The thing just stood there and I rested, feeling an enormous calm emotion wash over me. When I felt that the ox moved and walked over me, then stood or got on the bed, and turned away and went to sleep himself. I remember going to chinese restaurants where the chinese calendar was on the table and my sign is the ox in that calendar.

Tonight while I walked past bars and people drinking the urge was so intense, I just wanted to sit and talk, have a drink or ten, and forget about my problems, which all stem from heavy binging since I was 15 years old. Now 28 I feel like I have the chance to be the strong, dependable person I am inside. My ox dream showed me part of my strength, and I feel less alone in this battle. When I was walking around earlier I sensed the presence of the ox as a protector or shield against my self-destructive negativity that can get me back into binging.

Or maybe I just needed some sleep, but I had another dream the same night when I was with a girl and drinking, and this experience was different.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Sounds pretty cool to me! Use this if it helps you.

Glad you are still sober. Tonight was kind of rough for me too, and for no particular reason that I can think of. The support others gave you also helped me.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Concratulation on the 3 weeks Acheleus.

Some dreams do have meaning in my experience.

I think it is a strong dream.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I found the following discussion of dreams a while ago while researching alternate versions of the twelve steps:

Creative dream analysis: Understanding the meaning of dreams

Sweet dreams!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thats a pretty cool dream, and an even better way to look at it. the only dreams i can remember are ones where im drinking and thinking i have to start all over again, then i wake up in a panic
Old 10-19-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting dream! Congrats on the 21 day...if the ox wants to ox help, let him!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, that's pretty intense Ach. That dream was definitely your subconscious trying to help you out. I've done a lot of dream study, and if you pay attention, your dreams are trying to give you solutions that you may not be able to figure out while your awake.

Always take them seriously! I'm glad you had this dream when you really needed it.