Notices

striving for abstinence

Old 10-19-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up striving for abstinence

i have been struggling with alcoholism for 17 yrs. ive lost family, friends, jobs, self respect and narrowly avoided prison. i fall on and off the wagon regularly n then have to go through horrific detox which get longer to recover from the older i get. i want total abstinence as i want to be happy and live life.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Madmaz and welcome to SR,

Glad you have made the decision to give up. moderation never worked for me. if it had I wouldn't be here. I needed a program to stay sober and SR is an invaluable tool and support to creep me sober these 2.5 years.

CaiHong
Old 10-19-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Life is not perfect but it a lot easier and more fun sober
Old 10-19-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Madmaz. We all understand how you feel. This is a great place for support and encouragement.

I found it was much easier to stop all together. I fooled myself into thinking I could control it, but it never worked out that way - ever. Each time I drank I led myself into danger & embarrassment. I had to admit it was never fun anymore - and I didn't need it in my life. It feels wonderful to be free. You can do it! I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you accept that moderation is not going to work for you.

We understand how hard this is and I know you will find lots of support here.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Believe it or not, it's actually easier to accept you just can't drink at all--and like you I fought that idea tooth and nail for years. Welcome back.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thankyou for messages of support it means so much. im not sure how this site works but practice makes perfect thanks again. its gr8 to be back with people that understand
Old 10-20-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome madmaz07, there is tons of support and advice here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hey u are on the right track

keep it up..and if you stumble come back..cos we are all in the same boat
Old 10-20-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

im hearing ya
the first drink will always lead to the craving for more alcohol, more drinking sessions
How many times did I prove that to myself.....
and then complete chaos ensues....
21 weeks sober, only because I accept, I cant even have one. it really makes it easier....
good luck.... it can be don't. The best thing is... your still here trying
Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Here is one way of looking at it that helped me quite for good. Instead of trying to moderate or feel sorry for myself because I can't drink or use recreational drugs.

There are many things I could do when I was younger that I can't do now. This is just one more of them. Natural process of life. Is it really worth making myself miserable over it or literally killing myself over it?

There are things I used to be able to eat that I can't now. There are physical things I used to do and enjoy that I can't do now. The love of my life divorced me. I've lost people who were tremendously important to me, and I can't have them in my life now. Yet I survive. And if I stay open, there are things in my life that I couldn't do before. New wonderful friends come along. I have a grandchild now. I have a pet I adore. I have the opportunity to do things that were impossible for me before.

I could choose to make quitting booze a bigger deal than it had to be, or I could quit, experience withdrawal, which is like a really really bad flu, mourn for a bit, and get on with things.

Like the loss of a loved one or spouse, which truly and deeply changes many things in our life, we sometimes need therapy, a support group, information and lots of courage. But it IS doable, and there is life after drinking. The best piece of advice I ever ever got from any therapist was "Stay open to new perspectives."
Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madmaz07 View Post
i have been struggling with alcoholism for 17 yrs. ive lost family, friends, jobs, self respect and narrowly avoided prison. i fall on and off the wagon regularly n then have to go through horrific detox which get longer to recover from the older i get. i want total abstinence as i want to be happy and live life.
thanks for everyones support. went back to aa womens group yesterday .hadnt been for 7 years and the support was immense. so good to be back
Old 10-23-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you Maz - nice to meet you

D