Notices

Weight Gain in Recovery

Old 10-19-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight Gain in Recovery

Hi everyone,

My name is Sarah and I am an alcoholic. This is my first post. Today I have 103 days sober and I am really happy and grateful about that. Everything has been going well... except: I have gained about 25 pounds since I started recovery. I am still a relatively healthy weight for my height/size and I know that my recovery is more important than how I look but I feel disgusting and I know that if this feeling gets worse it will be a threat to my sobriety.

I want to be kind to myself and let go, so I am not currently dieting or doing anything drastic to lose any weight. But I am also not indulging in too many sweets, or sugary beverages, or eating a lot of crap. I am trying my best to eat healthy (lots of veggies!) and I exercise at least three times a week, but the weight is still piling on. I am not looking for suggestions about how to lose weight, as I know that will come when my HP is ready. But this would be a lot easier for me to cope with if I knew why it was happening and heard some ES&H from others who have been there. What kinds of physical changes, and chemical, is my body going through in early sobriety that is causing this rapid weight gain? How long will this last (besides one day at a time :-))? Can anyone tell me how they got thru this tough part on the path?

Thank you for being here! I am so happy that I have learned to ask for help!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi sarah
i have 11 months sobriety now. i also started to gain weight after i stopped. as i look back i noticed that i eat now more and on time. unlike my days of nonsoberity, i would miss meals and eat junk food.
but i then started to look at what i ate and drank. i pretty much stopped drinking pepsi and carbonated drinks. i would only drink 3 or 4 a week and drink more ice tea. well i started to loose about 4 pounds a month for 3 months straight so far. i also started to walk daily with my dog for exercise.
congraduations on being sober sarah!! go to the chat room and meet some great people.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah, welcome!

I also gained weight after quitting wine. I was kind of upset about this because everyone was talking about losing but I gained. I think it ended up being about 10-15 lbs. I am barely 5'3 so that's quite a lot for me. And it showed.

I am eight months sober now and my weight has stabilized. I still could stand to lose another 5 or so but not indulging my sweet tooth anymore and cutting out junk food and carbs has worked for me. Also exercise.

Your body has to get used to not relying on alcoholic calories and learning to eat normal amounts at normal times again. My doctor told me that my body probably initially slowed down its metabolism once it got ahold of some food calories (versus wine calories) in order to store them up for the next time I decided to abuse/starve it again.

Don't know about all that but I do know I feel 150% better now than I have in years and the weight is coming off. Stay the course...it is so very, very worth it.

Welcome again, so good to have you with us!!
Old 10-19-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Sarah, congratulations on your sober time. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sarah,
the same has happened to me. I was happy with my weight before and have put on about 8 kg since i quit 6 months ago. It bothers me alot. Afew things contribute - I hardly ate when I was drinking, now I eat too much and far too much sugar, I am taking ADs and I know that they can cause weight gain, and sugar cravings too.

I have recently started exercising more and cutting down on sugar and carbs as much as I can. I fell so awful that I'm starting to loe some of the confidence sobriety has given me, so it has to stop somehow!

All the best
Old 10-19-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I put on 42 lbs in 18 months after getting sober ... but i'm building healthy habits now
22 lbs lost and 20lbs to go to reach the weight i was 2 years ago and then only 80 to go before i'm a "healthy" weight *giggle* .... one day at a time ..

maybe get checked over by the doctor , a lot of issues tend to come out of the woodwork after giving up

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-19-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sarah

Okay this is what happened to me weight wise... I lost a ton of weight when I first quit, but I was a beer drinker so that wasn't too surprising. I was eating really healthy then too but I still ate a lot of chocolate and sweets and seemed to still be loosing despite that. I got down to 74kg. I am 5' 11" and have always been heavy but not really overweight. Then it just suddenly started piling on. It seemed like for the first few months I was burning a lot of calories and then it just all crept up on me. Plus I did start eating more junky food. I got up to 94kg which is the biggest I have ever been. It didn't bother me for a while cos I thought, well at least I am sober. But eventually it got to me and I started thinking about what to do about it. A few months before this I had got a dog so I was doing a lot more exercise but I didn't seem to be shifting any weight, and I didn't want to go on a diet because I knew I would just pile the weight on again. After much deliberation I decided to go vegan as I felt it was a sustainable lifestyle choice which would cut out some of the worst foods I was eating and also fit in with my ethics. I was vegetarian years ago but was a meat eater in my drinking years so it felt symbolic somehow. Well that was 3 months ago or so and I have dropped down to 87kg It has been a slow steady weight loss but people have noticed.

I think in the period before that I was not too tough on myself because my priority was staying sober, and I don't regret that and wish I had eaten healthier because I feel like I needed that at the time. Chocolate and cheese laden pasta helped me stay sober. Now I am more concerned about moving forwards and making healthier choices. But it is good to do these things in stages I think. Giving up drinking was the best thing I did for my health, then giving up smoking. That was enough for me for the first year and those few extra pounds (okay, quite a few) didn't bother me too much.

Glad you are here and well done on 103 days! x
Old 10-19-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, this is really helpful to me.

Seahorse, I know how you feel... I have started to get some self-confidence back in sobriety and I hate that I am losing some of it again over this weight gain. It's frustrating.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm only on Day 11, but have gained a few pounds already. I believe it's from focusing my energy on resisting alcohol cravings. I've treated myself to extra comfort food instead.

In addition, I've had crazy sugar cravings! I never craved sugar before... I used to look around me at the people who couldn't resist chocolate, ice cream, candy, etc., and wonder, as I guzzled my wine, why they couldn't restrain themselves. "Why do you keep eating from that bowl of candy?" (gulp, gulp, gulp) I just consumed a different type of sugar. What a moron I was.

Sarah, congratulations on your 103 days of sobriety! That's wonderful. I understand you may not feel confident about your weight gain, but lasting change only comes with time. Now that you are gaining confidence in your sobriety, you can begin to focus on other areas of your life.

Just think... you've spent more than 100 days addressing an addiction. That's incredible! Once you have the energy to focus on your weight, and when the time is right, you'll surely succeed!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I know exactly where you're coming from and you'll level off and turn it around.

I'm 5 months on the 24th of this month and just in the past month I've been really focused on eating right and exercising. In the beginning I just wanted sugar and food that was horrible for me. I cut myself a break realizing that I was trying to accomplish probably one of the hardest things that I'll ever do.

Once you start getting your sobriety legs then you can work on turning it around.

One thing that did save me was seedless grapes. They're like eating candy so I buy the green and red ones and keep them in the fridge. They satisfy a sweet tooth and where I know they're probably not the best fruit to eat they're sure better than chocolate!
Old 10-19-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes it's hideous isn't it? Same thing happened to me. I'm day 100, waddling around like a ball on legs... I have to have sugar now and I've never had a sweet tooth. Now it's out of control. I am doing the best I can but because of the flubber I still don't feel healthy.. There are times when I,ve thought I would rather be drinking than putting in weight, but I worked out it's just my alcoholic voice talking to me again. I thought they weight would fall off me when I stopped drinking not jump on!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by yoohoo View Post
Yes it's hideous isn't it? Same thing happened to me. I'm day 100, waddling around like a ball on legs... I have to have sugar now and I've never had a sweet tooth. Now it's out of control. I am doing the best I can but because of the flubber I still don't feel healthy.. There are times when I,ve thought I would rather be drinking than putting in weight, but I worked out it's just my alcoholic voice talking to me again. I thought they weight would fall off me when I stopped drinking not jump on!
I only get to laugh at the ball on legs statement because you just so accurately described how I feel some days.

I thought the weight would fall off too. I mean, if you could watch some of the things I cooked and ate when drinking (my husband called me The Drunken Gourmet) and then add the calories from the beer I should have dropped a bunch of weight right off the bat.

Nosir, too busy eating chocolate ice cream, chocolate cake, chocolate by itself.

There will come a point when that turns around! It has for me over the last month.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Me too. I'm squeezing in my fat pants and eating ice cream like it's going out of style. That and dried fruit.

I suppose since alcohol metabolizes as sugar, the craving is worse. But like others have mentioned, I'd rather be stable in my sobriety first, and then worry about taking off the pounds.

I just try to make sure most of what I eat is whole foods and no empty calories.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

It's only fitting that since this board is about honesty that I must now admit that I ate a piece of apple pie this evening.

Seriously though, I've found that where in the beginning I had a big craving for sugary type snacks that's going away now. I'm sure it's that way for most people.

Who can resist a piece of apple pie in fall though?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just the opposite here. I gained when get drinking. No matter how much I limited my calories I gained weight.

You are doing the right thing. Please, please don't worry about weight. Worry about being healthy and even if you are overweight it is still better than alcohol!!! Hang I there okay??!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What a fantastic thread and thanks for sharing.

Hiya Sarah , welcome :-))))

I was always the skinny one in the group and i hated it with a passion.
My doctor told me to start drinking milkshakes to put some weight on.
I obliged , but as I have an addictive personality , that was my new fad. ( $#€£%)

I drink 2 litres of coffee flavoured milk every day ..have for about 20 years.
And I have always had a sweet tooth.

I was either all or nothing ( as my dad affectionately calls me lol )
I have just eaten a 220 gram block of chocolate as i do every day since i quit.

I just can't seem to get enough sugar which is bad as I'm newly diabetic.
I really have no idea pertaining to food , calories , carbs etc.....
But I have put on 6 kg in 3.5 months ..its gotta stop.

Thanks again for a great thread as I have only ever heard the reverse, i don't feel like such a pig now. We'll ..oink oink...maybe a little lol xx.

I've come a long way since those skinny days
Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Snoozy I'm hearing you, I'm exactly the same. I am stalking around the house sniffing out the sugar... Everyone is hiding the chocolate from me but I eventually sniff it out. This is getting ridiculous. I never liked sweets!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ladyblue I bet that pie was amazing. I was so proud of myself because I ran 3 miles today...aaaaaaaaand then I had pizza for dinner. Oh well, I went to a meeting and I didn't drink, that's what matters.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yoohoo. I'm gonna go with the majority here and it makes sense ....let's get ourselves well from the alcohol, then assess the situation.

So many great comments here. We have the same sober time , so let's get to 6 months and help each other if we can . I will pull my head in a bit and weigh myself every day so it doesn't get too hard .6 kgs. Is enough.

I'm seriously hoping my fatigue will be gone by then .xx
Old 10-19-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I lost weight when I quit drinking. 800-1200 calories per day gone from my diet, POOF! A thousand surplus calories each day works out roughly to two pounds per week of weight gain, so the scale started going my way pretty quick (down to 217 lbs from a high of over 270 lbs -- 'course there's a lot of diet and weight training in there)