Notices

14 months sober ~ now what?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm not to a year by a long shot (4 months or so) but I put fitness as job one very early in recovery, for a few reasons:

- builds discipline
- entirely within my control, no depending on chance or whim of others
- benefits are myriad (better looks, better health, just feel better -- strength comes in handy all the time, from opening doors to climbing stairs to bending over to tie my shoes)
- fairly long-term goal; probably a yearlong project
- visible, tangible benefits, especially early on, so there's a near-term return-on-investment
- start a new chapter, shed the old life and begin anew
- I'm not getting any younger

So yeah I think fitness is a good idea for the recovering drunk, or at least it has been good to me so far. The other day a coworker asked how I was losing weight and told me I look "buffed" .. it was a nice compliment he was not one of my comely female coworkers, though, but it's a start
Old 10-18-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
Hello, All. I am bringing this topic over from the "One Year And Over" thread as I'd like to hear from more of you with 1+ years of sobriety who might not comment over there.

On Sunday I will have 14 months sober. The first year I pretty much tried to keep things in my life running smoothly and eliminate any drama. I didn't make any big decisions which is a suggestion for those in their first year of sobriety. Well, now that I've successfully cleared the one year hurdle, I feel like I want to take on something else. What that actually IS, I don't know. Should I tackle new projects, get into better physical shape, something else?

I'd really like to hear stories about what YOU did after you hit the one year mark? What did you start putting more of your efforts into? What worked best for you, and what didn't?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Thank you for the post! Congratulations on 14 months!

I am at 17 months and my first year of sobriety was very quiet and drama free. I joined a church and women's group, went to AA meetings (but have not done the steps), started back with my regular exercise program which mostly includes brisk walking and swimming (both in the ocean and pool)...I also searched vigorously for work (as I had not had a regular job in years). While searching, I started doing some part-time contractor work and finally just after my year mark I got a regular office job. These past few months I have been adjusting to actually having a place to get to Mon-Fri and working in an office again. I am also doing volunteer work and looking a little bit after my parents. My life is still very boring and quiet.

However...during this next phase of sobriety I am thinking seriously of pursuing the possibility a new relationship/romance...I have been slowly easing out of one with someone who has not been able to get sober...I feel bad for him and do understand why he isn't able to get sober. But it is what it is...in the meantime, I have my eye on someone but not sure how to pursue it at this stage...HA!

So that's my story...I hope that gave you some ideas or thoughts...I think you should try to tackle anything you want!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm a relapser, but I had 8 years. In year 2 I transferred to another dept at work, at year 3 I quit and got a better job. Attitude and sobriety do have a relationship, and if I hate my job I'm in a danger zone...