SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Friday afternoons suck... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/310991-friday-afternoons-suck.html)

lessgravity 10-18-2013 12:10 PM

Friday afternoons suck...

This colleague asking me out to a winebar for a couple before she meets friends.

That colleague talking about having some wine and watching TV soon as she gets home.

Friends who want to know if I can make happy hour.

Possible dinner plans at a restaurant where I know I'll be surrounded by beer and wine and booze.

I know all the sober possibilities that I could do. Some Fridays just suck, that's all.

Uninvited 10-18-2013 12:13 PM

It's amazing when you are sober to realize that the world really does seem to revolve around alcohol. I'm glad I'm free of that.

ClearLight 10-18-2013 12:13 PM

Yup Friday can be one of the toughest days for sure.

LadyBlue0527 10-18-2013 12:16 PM

Believe it or not that does go away. I promise. This coming weekend will be my 21st sober. I'll never forget my first Friday after quitting and I was sitting in your shoes thinking the same things that you're thinking.

You know what happened? Monday came and I was glad that I pushed through and spent the weekend sober. Next week I did the boo boo face but the craving was not as intense.

I found the key was to plan something to do that would make me happy. I think I preplanned and saw more movies on Friday night in two months time than I have in years.

What can you do to get your head out of where it is right now? You can spend a lifetime of Fridays feeling the way that you do or you can face the music now and push through it. What are your plans for the evening?

Oops, I'm back, I read your post wrong. Yes indeed, some Fridays do suck. However, like I said above they do pass. In fact, where we were feeling the same in the beginning I can't even tell you the last sucky Friday that I had. It does go away, I promise!

PippoRossi 10-18-2013 12:23 PM

Wanna trade Friday nights? I live in a neighborhood where all (and I do mean ALL) the people attend the same ward (church). Hubby and I are not religious people so we, obviously, do not go to their church or any other one. Well, the nice neighbor guy invited us to a "pie social" which means we will be getting together with a bunch of like minded, church going folks who are probably mostly interested in converting us. This particular religion does not believe in drinking alcohol, so it won't be present. I can honestly say, though, that I'd rather go to a wine bar and drink water which a bunch of drunk people instead of attending someone else's psuedo church meeting on Friday night. :headbange

joshlyman 10-18-2013 12:27 PM

Right there with you. Been invited to the bar by four separate people in the past two hours. Really tempted to shut my phone off for the rest of the day.

Going to see Carrie with my little cousin tonight instead. :)

happyhour 10-18-2013 12:40 PM

make happy hour do what? i heard you talking about me... :lmao

i agree - friday late afternoon's can sometimes indeed suck...!

BUT...

-doing something fun, of quality, and intentional friday night - does not suck
-doing and saying what i mean all night - does not suck
-not forgetting, tripping, slurring, mumbling, arguing, denying - does not suck
-being honest, trustworthy, reliable, caring, helpful all night - does not suck
-not waking saturday at 2am sweating - does not suck
-not drinking out of a faucet in the middle of the night - does not suck
-not waking (really early) on saturday with remorse, regret, shame - does not suck
-not having upset stomach, throbbing head, and red puffer fish face - does not suck
-seeing a sunrise, hearing birds, having some tea/coffee, reading - does not suck
-waking thankful for sobriety, my friends, family, my life - does not suck
-having the energy/desire to exercise, be outdoors, enjoy the weekend - does not suck
-not having to do sweep of the house, "take the trash out", shamefully - does not suck

sheesh..i only made it to saturday around 10am...but, if others have more chime on in'

PippoRossi 10-18-2013 12:46 PM

That was totally awesome, HAPPYHOUR!

ReadyAtLast 10-18-2013 12:46 PM

The feeling does go away. When I drankI thought everyone drank. Only now sober do I realize many people DONT drink. When I drank I surrounded myself with drinkers so when I stopped they were still there.Over timeI moved away and now more involved with non drinkers. It does happen and it does get easier.

Just think how wonderful you'll feel tomorrow waking up sober. waking up sober every day's great but Saturday is just that bit extra special :)

Imabuleva 10-18-2013 12:52 PM

The addictive voice sucks. But it can't do anything without your approval any day of the week.

PippoRossi 10-18-2013 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Imabuleva (Post 4245673)
The addictive voice sucks. But it can't do anything without your approval any day of the week.

Excellent point.

Serenity1972 10-18-2013 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Imabuleva (Post 4245673)

Amen to that one!

Imabuleva 10-18-2013 01:02 PM

Hopefully I approved its requests for the last time on Wednesday.

AV: Go buy a pint of whiskey and drink half of it. It will be fun!

Reality: Gulp down the whole thing as quickly as I can and lay on my couch in a miserable mental haze before passing out for the night. Wake up the next morning feeling like death and try to make it through my day at work without too much interaction with people.

ippochick 10-18-2013 01:47 PM

i just got back from a meeting. i'm still early days, and can't quite believe i've spent the last 3 friday nights at AA!

i hope you have a fabulous, sober weekend.

Zebra1275 10-18-2013 01:49 PM

Friday afternoons suck...

maybe right now they do, that will change with time.

Monday mornings, after a weekend of heavy drinking suck way more . . .

lessgravity 10-18-2013 02:07 PM

All of you are so on point. However my Beast's irrationality is hard and heavy today.

Going out to a nice dinner wherein NO WINE will be consumed. I know come 9pm tonight I'll be happy. Right now though? Still in the maw of the Beast...

Imabuleva 10-18-2013 02:09 PM

Stay in if you can, lessgravity. Don't give the beast more ammo than it already has.

instant 10-18-2013 02:10 PM

A big sticking point for me was my belief that Friday nights had to be "special". In time I came to see that the idea and the feeling of wistfulness that went with it were products of my addiction.

Fridays are special now, I am also free of the burden and torment. With time in sobriety the focus on alcohol and alcohol related stuff has diminished to a degree that at times it is a minor annoyance.

I do not tend to go to bars, but I can and it's no big deal - in the first six months it was like kryptonite to superman

alphaomega 10-18-2013 02:17 PM

Suckity suck suck right there with you. It's a crisp fall night in the Midwest and I'm totally romanticizing the lie of the Red Zin.

She's being a total *****.

flujays 10-18-2013 02:18 PM

Morning everyone... I feet great today!!! Got through my first Friday night without a drink in such a long time. I'm on day five today. AND last night my husband's friend came over and they had a beer each and a scotch each. I smelled the scotch bottle and had no real desire to have a drink with them. I was AMAZED. I think AA and SR are totally working for me. For the first time EVER, I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. I'm dancing inside, never thought I would feel that way on a Friday night in the company of people drinking, especially not so early in my sobriety. You guys rock.