Notices

Why you are an alcoholic

Old 10-18-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Here is a link for a well written and researched article from Harvard Magazine.

Deep Cravings | Harvard Magazine Mar-Apr 2000

More concise, correct, specific, scientific, than A. Orange's blathering.

Does anyone even know who Orange is?

I must admit his/her website is one of a genius. Just the sheer volume is quite amazing.

Unfortunately, majority of the articles are not backed by research nor citations. And, many have undertones of paranoia and false conspiracy.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Not genius, just response to a familiar voice methinks..... thanks for the link.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
Here is a link for a well written and researched article from Harvard Magazine.

Deep Cravings | Harvard Magazine Mar-Apr 2000

More concise, correct, specific, scientific, than A. Orange's blathering.

Does anyone even know who Orange is?

I must admit his/her website is one of a genius. Just the sheer volume is quite amazing.

Unfortunately, majority of the articles are not backed by research nor citations. And, many have undertones of paranoia and false conspiracy.
And that is an article I can read and respect.

To add a more human note - in the past I have given up party drugs (LSD, marijuana, speed, MDMA, thankfully never got addicted to cocaine although I used it) and more mundane drugs (nicotine, sex) and am now still addicted to the Net and TV and am in recovery from alcohol. I have a classic addictive personality and yet - it's all a lie. I can stop. I've been through abusive situations as a child and young adult and have come through. I am a lonely adult with two children but do you know what? If my (possibly addicted to alcohol) friends call me to ask if I want to hang out when the kids are with their dad I say no. Cos if they're drinking my resolve will go out of the window and I'l drink. But I didn't use alcohol to escape any of that. Nor did I use any drugs to escape that.

I used because it felt good.

And now it does not feel nor do me good. We can all decide not to use/feel sorry for ourselves any more. Or we can not. Choice is nothing without information though.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

"Deep Cravings" is a great article, which I think I'll be reading a couple more times. It is very insightful and goes a long way explaining why AA or RR or even SR works with different people in different situations.
I could really relate to the Heroin use in the military overseas, and the cessation once the soldiers return home.
Thanks for the link.