Notices

Crave the "good time", not an alcoholic

Old 10-17-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crave the "good time", not an alcoholic

Anyone believe this or relate to this ? I think thats the boat Im in........maybe lol
Old 10-17-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MadmanMark View Post
Anyone believe this or relate to this ? I think thats the boat Im in........maybe lol

I had a few of those
but
after getting beat up from the booze, wife and judge a few more times
the desire has left me now for close to - 6 years next week

this is the good life for Mountainman

may not be for everyone ???????

best of luck wished for you
Old 10-17-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I craved the "ease and comfort that came at once by taking a few drinks". There was something visceral that would occur, a shoulder-sinking, chest-relaxing, whole-body sigh that I couldn't seem to get any other way. And with that incredible gift of ease and comfort and relaxation came the ability to enjoy the moment and have a 'good time'.

I don't know if you can relate to that; it may not be what you're describing at all. For me, that feeling was the mental component of my problem. That mental drive drove me to think that a couple of drinks was a good idea, but sometime between the first sip (or gulp) of the first drink and the last mouthful of the first drink, something happened physically that made continuing to drink the best, perhaps only, option.

That's the only experience I have with it. But then, I'm an alcoholic.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mark,
You said :
"Well it worked. I ordered some take out for me and my girl last night so instead of us "both" drinking we stuffed our faces and watched a couple of movies instead. Woke up today feeling great add got alot done today without being hungover. I think Ill try that more often lol."

That sounds like a good time!

I had to/have to change my definition of a "good time".
Old 10-17-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MadmanMark View Post

Yep, that was me about 10 years ago...

But then it got bad, real bad. The good times were long gone.

I hope you can get sober sooner than I. I know it's hard to believe, but sobriety is so much better.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dylan excellent description of the effects of those first few drinks. if one could only stop there. That's why I am on this website because I cant. I fully accept that I can't drink and now I have no desire to.

madmen I am sure everybody relates to what you wrote.

CaiHong
Old 10-17-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

heyy...

I never new how to have fun without drugs and alcohol.....I had to learn. I did this by finding sober people who ski, climb, cycle, fish, build, create, cook, swim, laugh.

Push yourself out of your comfort zone and find sober [people that dig the stuff you dig... I drank after 8 years of sobriety and all the fun S$#t disappeared. There is nothing but sadness and despair in a bottle for me
Old 10-17-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you're saying. I love bars. I love sitting around making new friends with all the regulars. I like talking to strangers. I like knowing the bartender and his wife and kids names.
But for me bars come with binge drinking and waking up on someone else's couch.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's one of the scary thoughts about no more beer . I am going to have to miss that good time feeling. But that is only your AV . This is one of his most powerfull weapons and you must try to recognise it for what it is. Your AV is scared .Your AV is worried about not having that good time. You must separate the beast from yourself and tell the beast that this tactic will not work! Day by day you get stronger and your AV gets weaker. But you have to see these thoughts for what they are.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh I can TOTALLY relate to this!!