Notices

diazepam

Old 10-17-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

diazepam

Hi i am new here, so hi every1.
Anyway has anyone be on diazepam for a long time and came of them, i have been tryin a year now and belive me its hard. i was wondering has anyone else been doing the same...
shell
Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was prescribed Ativan quite a few years ago when I was going through a horrible divorce. I was assured they were 'not addictive' by my hopeless GP. In fact they were terribly addicitve. The relief from anxiety they offered was wonderful!

..but stopping them was very hard. In the end (I really do NOT recommend this) I bought two bottles of Scotch (I drank then obviously..), shut myself in and cold turkeyed. It was two very tough days indeed before I started to feel I could even leave the house.

A friend of mine gradually reduced her dose over a period of six months and quit much more sensibly that way!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

You need to seek your Doctors help to taper off these.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're here and seeking support.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

best to work with a good, knowledgeable doctor that can offer a tapering plan.
i went through xanax withdrawal, which led me to the hospital twice. really devilish drug.

try to look for a doctor who knows what they are talking about it when it comes to benzo withdrawal. and ask him/her a ton of questions and look for specifics. be ready to go through a number of doctors before you feel you can trust one to put you on the the right plan. this stuff is no joke.

p.s. unfortunately in my experience very few doctors (even psychiatrists) are familiar with withdrawal issues. one simply told me i was full of sh*t and my w/d symptoms were just panic attacks. ... twitching on the floor in my own drool (forgive me for being graphic) is not a panic attack. i've had plenty of panic attacks to know the difference.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanku everyone i have been on them 4 7 maybe8 years now. and 1 day i thought what is this drug really doing to me. omg last year i knew how bad these's were. i wirte down every mg i take. this time last year i was on about 40mg a day' but down i am down to 26mg and that's down to me reading and understanding this evil drug. some days i cant do nothing' is that normal? so many wried feelings i am feeling and sometime's i feel like i am losing control.my support from my gp is a phone call when i need more med's and to see how i am going. which i belive people like me need more help then that after all the gp gave me them. for panic attacks. plus 150mg sertraline 40mg amiprityline is anyone out there on the same rd as me.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YoungTom View Post
I have been addicted to them, I was taking upwards of 100mg of valium a day. This was a few years ago now mind.

Great choice that you have decided to want to come off them.

Do you have a tapering program in place from your doctor?

Tom
Hi how did you get off them' my doc said its going to take time' it took me a year to cut 10mgs driving me mad the side effects' did you get this ?. i am cutting half a mg every 4 weeks. so had is this normal.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

diazepam

Originally Posted by shell36 View Post
Hi how did you get off them' my doc said its going to take time' it took me a year to cut 10mgs driving me mad the side effects' did you get this ?. i am cutting half a mg every 4 weeks. so had is this normal.
many thanks
shell
Old 12-10-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi so whats the best tape plan would be good.
many thanks shell
Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The best taper plan is one prescribed by your doctor...
Everyone is different and they can check your withdrawal symptoms as you taper.
I did a medically prescribed detox from benzos... I hadn't been told it was dangerous to just stop and found myself on the phone to an emergency doctor asking what the hell was happening when I hadn't picked up my prescription once.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shelly

By our rules we can;t give you medical advice, so we can't give you tapering plans here - you really need to speak to a professional, especially if benzoes are involved.

D
Old 12-11-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Twinings View Post
The best taper plan is one prescribed by your doctor...
Everyone is different and they can check your withdrawal symptoms as you taper.
I did a medically prescribed detox from benzos... I hadn't been told it was dangerous to just stop and found myself on the phone to an emergency doctor asking what the hell was happening when I hadn't picked up my prescription once.
so are you on the same meds as me..or is anyone coming from diazepam. my taper is half a mg a mouth. and i am even finding that hard but my dr says its right.