Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

If you could (or have) get a tattoo in honor of sobriety, what would it be?

Notices

If you could (or have) get a tattoo in honor of sobriety, what would it be?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
it's all happening

I would get a little penguin. I'm actually considering getting one on my wrist. Tiny. A support group I'm in uses them as their mascot -- we're like penguins in the cold, who sometimes are on the outside of the circle protect those on the inside from the wind, and sometimes on the inside getting the support from our fellow penguins.

I'm not doing anything, though, until I get at least a year sober. And right now I only have 47 days. So it'll be awhile.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Olive - Yeah, they hurt a bit, but it's more an annoying pain than real/severe pain. If you take your fingernail and scratch a place on your arm like you're scratching an itch, but then just keep doing it in one spot - that's kind of the 'pain'. Only a little sharper, of course, since it's done with a needle rather than a fingernail. The more sensitive the area (e.g. inner arm, neck area, etc.) the more intense/sharp the pain.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Do the tattoo artists get annoyed when you say, "ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow,........" the whole time they are tattooing?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Lol, I dunno. Most of them are covered in tattoos, themselves, so they may just think it's funny. When I was getting 2 of mine (it took about 3 hours I think) the gal in the next stall was doing that, though (owowowowowow), heh heh.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have "Serenity, Courage, Wisdom" tattooed on the arch of my foot. And yes, it hurt!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I'd get the AA symbol (triangle in a circle). I'm a fan of tats (I have 3). I'm getting my mantra tattooed in Sanskrit on my wrist as soon as I'm done being broke.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I am fairly tattooed. To finish up the sleeve on my left arm, I had a big foo dog for the bottom half. The face is looking down at my hand, and I am left handed, and the foo dog is a symbol of protection against evil spirits. So there is a foo dog scaring "spirits" away from my drinking hand. It's a rather nerdy visual pun, but fortunately no one ever asks me what my tattoos mean. Plus it looks cool and fits with my overall theme of traditional Japanese style tattoos.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
I have "Serenity, Courage, Wisdom" tattooed on the arch of my foot. And yes, it hurt!
Agreed. I have the bulk of the tops of both of my feet covered and that is definitely my least favorite spot to get tattooed on.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
lovely memories sleepin at gram's house if I remember right it was an allstar lineup Love Boat, Fantasy Island and if we were real lucky stay on the sofa and get to watch the million dollar movie !!
Lol, I saw some dvds of the Love Boat in the library the other day and was tempted to rent them. Maybe I will now.

Don't forget The Dukes of Hazzard and Solid Gold (a bit risque for those days)! I've never heard of the Million Dollar Movie, but I seem to remember The Million Dollar Man.

It's hard to explain to my 7-year old niece that we used to watch cartoons just on Saturday morning because that's the only time they came on.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Our son has "Everything Will Be Ok" on his forearm. I don't want a tattoo on me. Still, "I Love Lucy" has always been there for me. In reruns at first, then DVD. I just watched the first season recently, she always makes me laugh...gets me out of "poor me". It's not AA Print, but IF I did get a bit crazy in my older age, that's what I'd get! Bobbi
Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I have thought about this before and have to admit that I don't have a clue what I would have done. I know I want something but just haven't figured out what it should be yet.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

well, the pic for my name here is what I have had priced out, triangle, circle, and third outline, not the extra blue background. and as others say I do not know what tomorrow brings, but today there is nothing that is going to make me drink, god willing I will make it one more 24 hours!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I love tattoos and I've often thought about what I would put to honor my sobriety. I love the idea of a blackbird.

I have the words "beauty and terror" written on my arm, from my favorite Rilke poem,

"let everything happen to you
beauty and terror
just keep going
no feeling is final"

In hindsight it is very apropos of sobriety, but I'm definitely going to get another.

I also love the phrase:

'devo farmi de la ossa" - which means, in italian, "we must make our bones"

I say get one! And btw - I don't think there's anything wrong with 'honoring your sobriety'.h
Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

the lotus flower in this tattoo is representative of my sobriety (and overall 'new life'):

Old 10-18-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

on my forearm I am gonna get "Progress not Perfection"