Notices

Ignorant and insensitive

Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No half measures

Ignorant and insensitive

This was posted on Facebook and is wrong on so many levels

"People who are addicted to drugs and alcohol hurt those that love them most. Pray that their addiction to Christ will rid them of their sinful weakness."

I am a practicing Christian and this shows such ignorance I find it hard to believe. When I read this my blood pressure shot up 20 points. No wonder so many have a negative opinion of organized religion. Us alcoholics and addicts are likely possessed by demons to.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well that's not really so different than the basis for AA and ridding yourself of character defects.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a couple of FB friends that frequently post religious views that sometimes make me cringe. I usually just let it go. I've also recently learned the concept of Unfriending people that annoy me (not just religious people), so that's always an option.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I deleted my Facebook account about 2 years ago. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wakko View Post
This was posted on Facebook and is wrong on so many levels

"People who are addicted to drugs and alcohol hurt those that love them most. Pray that their addiction to Christ will rid them of their sinful weakness."

I am a practicing Christian and this shows such ignorance I find it hard to believe. When I read this my blood pressure shot up 20 points. No wonder so many have a negative opinion of organized religion. Us alcoholics and addicts are likely possessed by demons to.
Hello wakko. Hope all is well with you.
Your headline shows that u understand where the statement came from... I have realised that engaging individuals and telling them of my story and the story of others also help me... Who are better equipped to educate the ignorant and sensitise the insensitive than us?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's hard to see such things. There is a limitation with their understanding and knowledge. You can always block the news feed.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No half measures

Originally Posted by ovrock View Post
Hello wakko. Hope all is well with you.
Your headline shows that u understand where the statement came from... I have realised that engaging individuals and telling them of my story and the story of others also help me... Who are better equipped to educate the ignorant and sensitise the insensitive than us?
IAm so tempted to tell this individual my story but my privacy trumps my desire. I am open with select people and do not hide it but this person is not some I would be comfortable telling
Old 10-16-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No half measures

I'm sorry for posting this. It was a vent post. It just offended me on so many different levels. Let's just have this thread die
Old 10-16-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't worry about it, Wakko. Sometimes we just need to vent.

There's a new article going around FB that describes 42 of you typical friends - rich friend, condescending friend, party friend, etc. it's pretty funny, esp if you are on FB.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't be sorry. I'm just glad God had a higher opinion of my character than your friend
Old 10-16-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I deleted my Facebook account about 2 years ago. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.
I concur!! I did the same thing almost a year ago and was SO happy to be off, but rejoined because of family *cough, Tinder, cough*.

I've since deleted Tinder (google if you don't know what it is) after two days and now I think I'm gonna delete my effbook again.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What's Facebook?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
What's Facebook?
Have you ever read "1984"? Facebook = Big Brother
Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

FaceCrook?
Deleted my account just after they started. Now getting Google off all my computers and in a month my Android Google phones are gone too in favor of Nokias with Win 8. Then only the NSA will be eavesdropping and not because I let them in!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
FaceCrook? Deleted my account just after they started. Now getting Google off all my computers and in a month my Android Google phones are gone too in favor of Nokias with Win 8. Then only the NSA will be eavesdropping and not because I let them in!
*sings "Proud to be an American"* how does that part about freedom go? Oh.