Blogs

Notices

Am I Drinking too much?

Old 10-17-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
quat

I think most of the people on this site will self identify as medical laypeople. Even if some are not the policies of this site restrict giving medical advice. Your concerns seem to be in the area of biologic damage or the possibility thereof from alcohol consumption. Being a lay person myself, I assume there are tests medical professionals can conduct to make a diagnosis. If they suspect malfunction of organs I believe they then try and divine the cause. My lay advice is to seek out medical professionals.
I ended my addiction to alcohol , and would be happy to discuss my experiences with you or anyone. But I do not know how to conduct a blood test that looks for enzymes good bad or indifferent.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Life is life threatening. This is risky behavior. You know that, that's why you are here. I'd suggest consulting with your doctor honestly and getting some blood work done to check on some vital functions of your liver, etc.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by losty View Post
I would like to know how bad is this?
hi losty, welcome to SR, you have asked a great question.

more importantly, why do we want something that we know is bad?

a quote that might make sense to you...

“No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good. A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is. After all, you find out the strength of the German army by fighting against it, not by giving in. You find out the strength of a wind by trying to walk against it, not by lying down. A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness — they have lived a sheltered life by always giving in. We never find out the strength of the evil impulse inside us until we try to fight it..."
The Following User Says Thank You to happyhour For This Useful Post:
hypochondriac (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a poison, so any amount is not going to be good for you.

Personally, I could do 35 cl (350ml) vodka in 4/5 hours, and that's enough for me to cause issues to my life.

As others have said, if it's not a problem for you, then just don't drink. Give your body a break. Simples!
The Following User Says Thank You to sicknote For This Useful Post:
DoubleDragons (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replies so far, just a question, does anyone know the symptoms of a liver failing or getting worse?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

losty, only a doctor could tell you that.
initially they will do a blood a test to see if you have elevated enzymes, then they might do a scan for a fatty liver (i certainly hope you are not at that point, but even then it's still curable).

we can speculate all day long about this, but there is only one way to be sure. some people can drink for years (tens of years) without a hint of a problem. others will develop issues much quicker. you really need to consult a doctor.

but let me ask you this, how important drinking is to you, if you are so concerned about potential medical consequences? alcohol (ethanol) is poison, no matter how you slice it. why put your body through torture?

here's my non-medical advice: take a long break (a few months) at least, as soon as possible (today?) go see a doctor and explain your concerns. then re-evaluate your decision on whether you really want to be drinking for the rest of your life.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I wrote a reply but it looks like it didnt get posted.

Just one question, what are the chances in anyones professional or life opinion of developing a critical fatty liver from the amounts i was drinking?

Either way i have decided to stop drinking all together i last had a drink 6 days ago and the plan was to have a drink tomorrow as its friday. But im so angry at the potential harm ive been doing to my self thinking that it was normal to drink these amounts, i have decided i wont touch it tomorrow or anytime in the future.

Im going to get back to the gym workout and eat healthy. starting from today.

Thank you for everyone's support
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to losty For This Useful Post:
advbike (10-17-2013), happyhour (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It was an eye opener for me to face that so-called "normal" drinkers don't come to forums like this asking any questions and so-called "normal" drinkers don't put apps on their phone trying to control their drinking. I read once that if a person put limits on how many bananas they could eat a day, and they limited the time frames that they could eat the bananas on any given day, most people would say that person has a banana issue. My opinion has turned to the idea that alcohol is a poisonous drug like any other poisonous drug (heroin, crack, nicotine, etc.) and is not meant for ingesting. I like that you are using this health scare to move towards a healthy life-style.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think long before we get to the point of wondering what physical damage we have done there is the slight awareness that we are not drinking like other people, or at least that to us it seems a bit too much. I felt like that for a long time anyway and it worried me occasionally but because there were no obvious negative consequences I just kept on doing it. The point is though that to do there is quite likely something we are trying to escape by drinking. The physical damage is a secondary thing and an unavoidable consequence. You may find in an extended period of sobriety that the things the alcohol covers up come bubbling up to the surface and it can be tough, which is why it is good to have support to help keep the motivation up. But ultimately if there is anything that is causing you to drink then you'll gain a lot from sobriety x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hypochondriac For This Useful Post:
DoubleDragons (10-17-2013), Olive1 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I think long before we get to the point of wondering what physical damage we have done there is the slight awareness that we are not drinking like other people, or at least that to us it seems a bit too much.
I remember taking all the tests for excessive drinking and alcoholism a couple of years before I truly admitted I had a problem. I think I always fudged the results in the favor of not having a problem. Denial hard at work there. When I got truly honest with myself, it didn't really matter how much, when, why or where, I just needed to stop and stay stopped.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olive1 For This Useful Post:
DoubleDragons (10-17-2013), tursiops999 (07-16-2015)
Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Liver problems can get really serious without any symptoms at all. My liver doc told me that binge drinking is especially bad for the liver! Your doc needs to at least run blood tests for liver function to get a sense of what's going on.

In addition, cirrhosis puts one at higher risk for a bunch of other nasty things such as blood vessels in the esophagus hemorrhaging, liver cancer, mouth cancer, encephalopathy (somewhat like dementia) - when the liver can't detoxify the blood, those toxins end up in your brain, among other places.

Am I trying to scare anyone? Yep! I wish someone had sat me down and explained all of the really awful things that can happen. Would it have made a difference for me? I don't honestly know.

I do know that even though I've been told that cirrhosis won't ever go away, staying away from alcohol and most especially not binge drinking, can reduce my risks. So I now am most grateful that I wasn't past the point of no return.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Incidentally, my doctor (when I finally found a good one after I got sober) said he didn't do liver checks on alcoholics because it can give them a green light to continue, which coincidentally was exactly what happened to me. I had numerous blood tests for my liver and kidneys when actually it was my nerves which were taking the brunt of the damage.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I your here on this posting about it , then yes your drinking too much.

Everything so much better without it.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yep stopped now , the plan was to have a drink today as i previously said its my friends stag. Had the supermarket to a delivery yesterday of general products, along with the bag was a bottle of vodka. Took it to the sink and poured it down, filmed it and sent it to my mate.
Am in too minds about going to the doctor about liver damage because I have been doing research and although there are no symptoms a lot of information is saying that it would generally take 10 years of 35 units or more every week for it to be a serous concern, so i figured that 1-2 years of drinking 13-26 units a week, shouldnt be as concerning, since 350ml of vodka has 13-14 units in it.

Anyhow regardless of this i just wanted to say that this forum is really really amazing, the replies are great and the response is so fast, if this kind of help was applied to every aspect in life, there would be no poverty, wars, stress.

Best forum i have ever been on and this is a GENERAL statement, not just specifically related to this particular topic
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to losty For This Useful Post:
DoubleDragons (10-18-2013), hypochondriac (10-18-2013), midgetcop (04-26-2015)
Old 10-18-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

losty, congratulations on your progress. way to go, you sound strong! not sure what strong sounds like over a keyboard, but you get what i mean, have a great sober weekend with no regrets.

The Following User Says Thank You to happyhour For This Useful Post:
losty (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Losty, I'm happy to hear of your decision. I wonder if we sometimes perhaps put too much emphasis on the word "alcoholic" as opposed to the behavior associated with it. Personally, I don't think alcohol issues are an on/off thing for all. It it for many of us (myself included now). I believe there may be a subset with a more borderline version. That was me some years ago. I have no history of alcoholism in my family. But the older I get, the harder I've found it is to "control" or limit alcohol use and I now know I simply can't drink.

If I had known more about it when I was younger, I might have been able to save myself a lot of grief.

This is strictly my opinion and my only basis for thinking this has been my own experience. I would never suggest that an alcoholic or potential alcoholic try what I did. It's so not worth it!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Just thought id mention 3 weeks sober, not even tempted to drink however I do miss the tipsy feeling a little, perhaps ill drink once or twice a year, socially only on weddings etc I guess getting tipsy isnt too bad if i did it a couple of times a year?

But dont get me wrong i probably wont drink again thats just a worst come worst scenario
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to losty For This Useful Post:
Danae (10-25-2013), hypochondriac (10-26-2013), midgetcop (04-26-2015)
Old 10-25-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Hi Losty,

Great that you've managed that!

Please keep checking in and reading. SR is an amazing place for support when you are newly stopping drinking. I know it was essential for me.

On a side note, I (and many others here) found that I couldn't have just a drink here and there. It set me right back to where I'd started, eventually if not immediately. Moderation didn't work.

There's a book by Alan Carr that is very helpful along these lines. You can Google it. But the essence that I got from it is stop feeling like you are missing something good, and start seeing alcohol as something toxic that you are glad isn't poisoning your body anymore. I know what you mean about missing it on special occasions, but I can tell you that at 3 years sober I don't miss it anymore.

Danae
Old 10-25-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 3 weeks

however I do miss the tipsy feeling a little, perhaps ill drink once or twice a year, socially only on weddings etc I guess getting tipsy isnt too bad if i did it a couple of times a year?
what you have there is a fallacy, one that's very familiar to me.

We come to places like SR because we can't control our drinking, but that little fantasy there is all about control - you stopping at one or two drinks, being nicely tipsy not drunk....

It took me years to accept this, but I know now it's the first drink that starts the madness....not the 15th

The likelihood is that the one or two times a year you speak off may turn out to be many more and, rather than just being tipsy, you may find yourself with far worse consequences.

tell that inner addict to bog off
D
Old 04-26-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Just thought id say guys not touched a drink since i last posted which is around 20 months ago now feel a lot better, hope you guys do it too
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to losty For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (04-26-2015), flutter (04-26-2015), midgetcop (04-26-2015), sugarbear1 (07-16-2015), Tang (04-26-2015)