Notices

is it possible to become a moderate drinker again

Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Sleepy51 could be a normie and not an alcoholic: we don't know. And maybe he doesn't know either. He said he doesn't crave alcohol when he is not drinking. That certainly didn't apply to me. I had massive mental obsession.

Can stop. That didn't apply to me. I could not stop.
Can be at a drinking event without really caring about drinking. Excruciating for me.
Maybe he is at that place when the heavy drinker decides its time to put the brakes on. The heavy drinker can go to moderating.

The alcoholic? Not a chance. All I've got to add is that you don't have to be sleeping on a park bench, with no teeth and/or lost everything you've had to qualify for this disease. Drinking makes you lose things that matter to you. They don't have to be huge losses, but if they matter to you, that's serious enough.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

A pickle can never again be a cucumber. Sounds shallow, but it is the truth.

In some ways I wish my detox was more painful than it was, it would be more of a deterrent to try drinking again.
Keep drinking and trying to quit and you'll get there. Every attempt at detox gets worse. It's called "kindling." Some here have posted of horrific detox experiences, horrific experiences from drinking, etc., but still thought they could drink moderately after a while. I have seen no stories of success in that area.

You came here for answers to a question and have received three pages in response. Sounds like you don't want to accept those responses and are determined to do what you want to do anyway...just like an untreated alcoholic.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
EndGame

Been reading threads like this for some time now. They all end the same.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Apologies for being blunt but for me drinking moderately is like start sex without finishing. I'd rather not.