Notices

New in town

Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face New in town

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself as yet another alcoholic looking for support. I'm 26 and in school. I've been trying to figure out what I want out of life since I was 12-13 but once I started drinking in high school I got distracted with the trivial things - mostly social acceptance and romantic love. Two things that I felt were easier with a warm liquid confidence. Even writing that phrase made me miss whiskey a bit. I am the kind of drinker who can go a few days without the temptation to drink but once something goes awry or if I've been really good and healthy for a while, I will justify a wild night. Or if I am going on a date, I'll always take a swig of something before hand. That's not the person that I want to be. And once I start drinking I usually can't stop. I spend the next day miserable and ashamed and vow not to do it, only to do it at least once a week.

I've been 8 days sober. I will be seeking out meetings and a sponsor on the near future. I'm scared that after a month or so I'll think "I'm ok. I've learned my limits. I can be a normal drinker". But the past proves otherwise. It's hard to imagine that I can have wild crazy giggling fun again without drinking or that I won't crumble when something goes bad... But I am turning 27 soon and there is no more time to waste my life or accept a lesser version of me.

Any advice or guidance is welcome. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Libby!

Welcome to SR!

Congrats on 8 days of sobriety!

Originally Posted by LibbyLouBoo View Post
I'm scared that after a month or so I'll think "I'm ok. I've learned my limits. I can be a normal drinker".
Hang in here - SR folks won't let you believe this lies your addictive voice may start telling you.

Great that you are looking for more support.

Focus on your sobriety, take it seriously. never give up)

Best wishes to you.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR LLB. Your on the right track. If you do fall off Always remember you can always get back on and learn from it. Alcohol is a poision and I think we all are using it to kill something inside of us. Your young. Dont waste your life on building regrets. Hang tough!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Libby!

I'm so glad you're here and at such a cool age to get sober. I just thought about what I could have done the past 11 years if I had made that decision. (I'm 38.)

And I honestly smiled. For you! For the possibilities!

I'm proud of you and looking forward to hearing about your journey.

Even though I've had a couple slips, one thing I have learned here is there is no amount of time spent not drinking that will ever trip a 'master reset' button that will permit me to drink normally.

I think the AA'ers say it really well, 'you can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber.'

Welcome and enjoy the camaraderie here at SR.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! Congrats on 8 days sober. You'll find that we're very supportive here.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi libby, welcome to SR, you are smart to take this decision, especially at your age.

i can tell you, your condition WILL get worse as you continue to abuse alcohol.

if i got sober at 27, i could have avoided a lot of pain, also being sober is pretty darn good - especially the part about waking up every am, and being able to remember last night, w/o any regrets stick around, your life will turn back on as you ditch the drink.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi LibbyLouBoo, welcome. You came to the right place. With longterm sobriety you can have fun again. Keep going. Good job.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Libby,
Your post reminded me so much of my own worried, unhappy feelings about the prospects of an endless, sober future that I had to answer and let you know that it's very natural to experience the feelings you are having.

"I'll never (insert your favorite drinking function/habit/event here) again. It could be something like "I'll never giggle with my girlfriends again because I CAN'T DRINK!". Or "I'll never enjoy a nice meal in a restaurant again because I CAN'T DRINK!". When we are giving through our "drinkers mourning period", that time after we realize that we can't ever drink again (never, ever, EVER! sniff, sniff, wipe that tear from the corner of your little eye), it feels like we will never enjoy anything in life again. It's all doom and gloom, sad, lonely little tv dinners with our Diet Cokes.

Honestly, Libby, nothing could be further from the truth. One of these days you'll find yourself laughing, really laughing, at something and it will feel so real, so genuine that all of these worries about life without alcohol will begin melting away. I can't give you an exact date, or even estimate how long it will take for you (everyone is different), but it's going to happen. Congratulations on you sobriety!