Notices

6 Days Sober - Time for change

Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 Days Sober - Time for change

Been a heavy drinker for the last 7 years or so. Mostly liquor. I can only remember one time in the last 3 months that I actually felt buzzed and new I was drunk. I drink at home for the most part. My GF lives with me and doesn't like it, but she knows how I feel about it.

Booze was my drug of choice to calm me down after work and tuck me in at night. I can't remember the last time I went to bed without at least have A drink. It also helps lubricate me socially. I was a pretty shy person growing up, and when I found out how I can loosen up with a drink or two, I kept doing it. I used to go out with friends 2-3 times a week and I would almost always "pre-game" before meeting them. Sometimes I would have drinks with them, sometimes not.

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago, I had a serious of unfortunate events happen to me that caused me to have small panic attacks. I had to stay home from work or work from home for several days. I wasn't able to eat much or keep food down, so I was taking a lot of vitamins and drinking a lot of gatorade. But I also kept drinking booze. The withdrawal symptoms were too much for me to ignore. I would shake violently and couldn't hold a cup to drink from with one hand. I knew this was the sign I needed to get some consultation and see the doctor.

Hadn't been to a doc for a checkup in YEARS. I'm 32, somewhat healthy, but had recently gained about 10lbs in 3 or 4 months (~190, 6'1"). I told the doc the truth and that I wanted to quit, but was scared of the withdrawal symptoms I'd felt before (rapid heart, jittery, shaky, scared). She gave me an ekg which turned out fine, took a blood and urine sample and told me to stop drinking. She'd get back to me with the results.

A nurse called me the day after the apt and told me the doc wanted me to get a ultrasound done. Also the doc could prescribe me some pills to deal with the first few days of withdrawal.

I picked up the pills the next day (Librium), took 2 25mg as ordered and went to bed. I woke up so drowsy the next day, I was going to call in to work, but there was too much to be done. BUT, I didn't feel jittery or feel like my heart was going to explode.

I took 1-2 pills for the next 4 days, and I feel like I'm done. No withdrawal symptoms to speak of. That stuff is amazing! I still have 2 pills left.

Now the bad news. I got the results back from the blood test today. Everything is AOK, except for very high AST and ALT levels (hundreds).

I feel like I can totally quit drinking and let my body heal now that I don't have to have the booze to calm me down and stop the shaky hands, but I'm scared to find out what damage is already done.

I'm pretty sure I'll still have anxiety, but I agree with the doc that I have to rule out the booze first, then we can deal with the anxiety later.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Scary experience. I'm 38 and am also worried about the health related issues, not to mention the visible impact I'm starting to see with my wife and kids. I hope the health issues resolve themselves and just remember to stay connected.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've made a wise decision to stop drinking. I hope the tests turn out alright. Congrats on six days sober!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 7.

Ultrasound scheduled for next tuesday.

I sort of knew I wouldn't stop drinking until something happened. Well, something happened.

Hoping to get out of this and start a new and healthier life.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Emailed my doc (who's out on sabbatical so another doc is/was assigned) to see when I could schedule another blood test. He replied back not to worry about it so soon and to get the ultrasound first.

I think I will schedule an appt before thanksgiving to see what my ast/alt numbers are. I'm going to be with my family over thanksgiving and it would help take a load off my mind if I knew I was getting healthier.

Speaking of which... Since I'm off the booze now, I've decided to try to eat healthier too, at least for the time being. I figure I was drinking around 1500 calories of booze everyday. Add eating on top of that and you see where that was going. I'm hoping to get near 175 by thanksgiving which I don't think is unreasonable. Putting this in writing might help motivate me. I haven't been 190+ since 2008 when I was at the end of my last major relationship. Funny how some people eat when they're sad after a break up... I ended up l losing about 30lbs.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi 4change,
Hope the test results come out alright. Its a wakeup call. To be honest after giving up the booze 2.5 years ago, I find it incredible that I drank at all considering all the damage it has done in my life, financially, emotionally and physically, although I must say I got of easy on the physical level. it's great having your body working at optimum level.

I say go for it on all fronts, looking and feeling better help you to stay off the booze. I needed more of a program though to help me stay there.

Good for you
caiHong
Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 9.

Funny thing... I woke up with a small "hangover" today. I'm pretty sure this is from the detoxing I'm doing. I've been making and drinking at least 1 smoothie/green juice per day. I've never been to good about eating my fruits and veggies. Normally my fruit was limited to store bought juice, and my veggies was a once or twice a week salad.

Some of my inspiration came from the documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". I recommend it if you feel like you need to "healthy" up your diet.

I think by thinking more about my diet, I'm able to resist more urges for drinking. Not that I would drink right now anyway without actually knowing the condition of my liver. That part scares me straight.