Notices

Relapsed after one week sober...

Old 10-15-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed after one week sober...

Really annoyed at myself, had som wine yesterday. Of course a bit too muh and a little hungover today. I just thought I could handle it. It must have been the millionth time...Was doing great the whole last week and I want my sobriety back. On Saturday we are supposed to have guests over for dinner, they drink a lot and I donīt know how to handle it. I donīt feel like telling them I quit, these are people I work with and I donīt want them to know about my problem. But I guess seeing as I am great at hiding drinks I should be able to hide the fact that I donīt drink...
Old 10-15-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you could always tell them that you needed to take antibiotics because of an tooth/ear/arm infection. and you can't mix meds + alcohol.
people never question that, nor do they think twice about it.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just relapsed the other day. I would go out when I didn't cheat and order a club soda and cranberry this way they thought I had vodka. But to be honest, telling the truth is not embarrasing. I told my friends, I can't handle it. Most understood to be honest. The few that didn't had a problem themselves. You do what you want. You don't go to a restaurant and order beef if you don't like it, you say you don't like it and get chicken. WHy should booze be different?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IMO, a sip was too much. I highly suggest doing something different.
you don't have to tell them you quit. it very simple to say something like," not tonight."
have an escape route.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I will buy some alcoholfree wine and just drink that, after a while noone will notice anyway as they get drunker....and if they ask In just realized I have a running race at 12 on Sunday, thatīs a good excuse.

What is IMO?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is a good sign that you are angry with yourself. Think about this next time you want a drink. Sobriety soon becomes a replacement friend for alcohol doesn't it. It's interesting to note you say you miss your sobriety . Bit like a friend who has gone away. Stay positive and learn from this. As regards your friends , don't make a big deal out of it .after the first round they won't be bothered whether you are drinking or not. Believe me I have seen this loads of times. But most of all don't make a big deal out of it and they won't either. Good luck and keep posting
Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all, yes I am really mad, went to gym, joined an excerise gruop and had so much fun, feels like the whole sober week is now wasted and all good things destroyed. Sleep was fantastic!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The week wasn't wasted. It is part of the learning curve. A little taste of how good life could be. A taste of how good you can feel. But learn from it. Why did you drink. What was your trigger? That trigger will not disappear and you need to recognise it next time it appears.keep us informed on your progress. I think IMO means In My Opinion.all the best
Old 10-15-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've quit many times. Avoiding being around alcohol in social situations helps getting your first few weeks\months. For many that translates to avoiding social situations altogether, harder for some than others.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know why I drank, thats the good part, for some reason every second Mondays are a trigger, this is when my kids go to their father and I meet my boyfriend. So many emotions and a lot of stress. Will make plan for next time.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Victoria74 View Post
I think I will buy some alcoholfree wine and just drink that, after a while noone will notice anyway as they get drunker....and if they ask In just realized I have a running race at 12 on Sunday, thatīs a good excuse.
Friend-

Sorry to be the courier of bad news but people that are serious about their sobriety don't buy alcohol free wine or associate with people that drink.

I cannot put it to you any more simpler than that.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Victoria....

I'm finding the same thing, I think my fiance is a trigger, but he has no idea. When my kids go to their dads' house for the week is when I let my guard down and have a few glasses of wine with him. I am absolutely fine and sober for weeks and weekends when I have them. No cravings or much thought of drinking.

I don't want him to know of my shame of drinking too much, yet...trying to come to terms with it myself before sharing with him. But I'm learning so much about myself and sobriety, and I am proud of my sober time which have been the majority of the last month.

Dust yourself off, and keep trying. XX
Old 10-15-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's great news that you recognise your trigger. Be aware of it next time and be extra vigilant. I think you will find that every time you beat your trigger point that it becomes weaker and weaker and soon doesn't even cross your mind. One of my trigger points is cooking pasta. I mean who can cook pasta without red wine. The two go hand in hand right? I am pleased to say I can now eat pasta sober!! Give sobriety a chance to work.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you for being honest!!

I have found myself in social situations where alcohol was present and I have used the antibiotic excuse. No one questioned me after that and the night went well. Honestly though, if you are feeling apprehensive even before the event, then cancel! Your sobriety is WAY more important.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No half measures

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
Friend-

Sorry to be the courier of bad news but people that are serious about their sobriety don't buy alcohol free wine or associate with people that drink.

I cannot put it to you any more simpler than that.
Sobriety is all about choices. I need to ask myself is this choice moving me towards sobriety or away. In my case being around alcohol is always a choice away from sobriety.

I am sober today because I never put anything in front of my sobriety. The only thing I have to do is stay sober the rest are choices
Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wakko View Post
Sobriety is all about choices. I need to ask myself is this choice moving me towards sobriety or away. In my case being around alcohol is always a choice away from sobriety.
Amen.

Success is intentional.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

Hey Victoria--the week of sobriety wasn't wasted--just the day that you drank was. Anyway the week is still a good start in the overall healing process, only the 'count' starts over. Best with the future days and weeks.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have found that non-alcoholic drinks that taste like ones w/ the alcohol, (NA beer, near beer, na wine) are sort of 1/2 to drinking and so I abstain from those as well.

Maybe postpone this dinner party until you have more days sober under your belt and are not obessive over the drinking part?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The antibiotic excuse is good as is the allergy pill excuse- can't mix that with alcohol either. Best of luck and let us know how things go!.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
Friend-

"Sorry to be the courier of bad news but people that are serious about their sobriety don't buy alcohol free wine or associate with people that drink.
I cannot put it to you any more simpler than that."

I think this is rather a harsh response and too black and white in its opinion. I have plenty of friends who drink that aren't alcoholics.