Notices

CONFESSIONAL! What stupid things have you done drunk?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

-blacked out got a dui
-a friend let me sleep in her room while i was drunk, i ended up drunk sleep walking into her room mates room freaking her out then walked back into the room and pissed on her mattress while she was sleeping on it:|
Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I cannot stand this thread.

I wish Dee were here to weigh in.

Romanticizing, whether through the horrors or the comedy, of our drinking pasts does nothing for me anymore.

We all should have stopped long ago.

That's it.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

dyam i use to do the same thing lol
Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

I was drinking one night (quite a few years ago) and decided I needed to dispose of some old black powder that was collecting dust in my garage. So I thought easy, I'll just burn it like in the movies. I poured the few once's in a pile in some rocks next to the patio and tried to throw a match into it--well I had to lean a little closer to hit it in my inebriated state and WHOOSH! It doesn't just burn slowly like in the movies--it is classed as an explosive for a reason! Anyway I kept my eyesight (I wear glasses) but I had to go to work the next day with no hair on my arms, hardly any eyebrows, and what looked like a severe sunburn on my face.
Don't try this at home :-)
Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Back in 08, I was on a large bike cruiser/booze ride. I fell while riding (I hit a parked car) and broke my wrist. I had broken it a few times before. It was sore, but not too bad so I stayed with the ride. Ended up at a bar across town that I'd never been to. Made out with a fat chick that tried to get me to go home with her after last call. Luckily I wasn't THAT drunk and knew that was a bad idea. But it was also a bad idea to try to ride home. Not sure how, but I made it home around 3 or 4. I may have gotten on the freeway for a little bit .

Woke up, got to work at 8 am still drunk. By 10:30 my wrist was really starting to hurt and I was nauseous and had to go home.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Eurgh so many stupid things whilst pissed on vodka and whiskey, So much guilt and shame comes from it, But I never seem to learn :/ Stupidity!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
I cannot stand this thread. I wish Dee were here to weigh in. Romanticizing, whether through the horrors or the comedy, of our drinking pasts does nothing for me anymore. We all should have stopped long ago. That's it.
I disagree. I have not read a single romanticized story on this thread. While some are funny they are all, at best, cripplingly embarrassing and at worst, tragic. I think if yours was the majority sentiment then this thread would have died a long time ago. People who share your sentiment probably will not post on this thread, which is their prerogative.

We are allowed to make fun of ourselves in recovery. There are a TON of things that I've done while wasted where, if I didn't laugh at myself, I'd probably cry. There are others that, if I dwell on for too long, WILL make me cry. For me, posting on this thread is not dwelling on the past, rather it is taking a glimpse at it- and measuring how far I have come.

I think it's cathartic in a way to talk about drunken bloopers, whether funny or sad. IMHO, these stories serve as reminders for how insane my logic was when I was drinking, and how happy I am to be sober!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Ditto, Br00ksie.

I have a very subtle scar on my chin - got it in my "wining" days. Watching TV, drinking wine on the sofa. Drank up bottle, went to kitchen, but stumbled, fell, hit my chin against the floor, luckily didn't cut myself with shatters of the glass.

Nothing romantic about it.

These memories are somewhat like scars - reminders of the past we certainly don't want to be replayed.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you feel that way lessgravity .. It was never the intention to offend , nor romanticize . Not at all , it's completely the opposite . It's how you interpret it . Part of my recovery is owning my mistakes .
For me its like a journal and as i read back my time here , i NEVER want to be that drunk person i was for years.

I - like Brooksie find it cathartic.....thanks for your comment , we all have a right to our opinion. Have lovely day.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Awwww Less, Boo.

There isn't anything I could find remotely less romantic than a single story shared here.

I do feel mortified, horrified, shocked, disgusted, embarrassed, and ashamed.

But, for me, if I cant find a reason to laugh (e.g. my friend Melina's dehydrated lady parts) I might as well crawl into a hole and shrivel up (like said undercarriage).

We are a serious lot.

XO AO
Old 10-17-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I cannot stand this thread.

I wish Dee were here to weigh in.

Romanticizing, whether through the horrors or the comedy, of our drinking pasts does nothing for me anymore.

We all should have stopped long ago.

That's it.
I agree. This post needs to go.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

The biggest problem with a thread like this is that people start reading the stories and begin to think, "Wow, that's pretty bad. I'VE never done anything THAT bad before. Maybe I don't have an alcohol problem, after all." Nope, this thread is not promoting sobriety.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
We are allowed to make fun of ourselves in recovery. There are a TON of things that I've done while wasted where, if I didn't laugh at myself, I'd probably cry. There are others that, if I dwell on for too long, WILL make me cry. For me, posting on this thread is not dwelling on the past, rather it is taking a glimpse at it- and measuring how far I have come.
You make some good points, but why not measure how far you have come by listing off all the SMART things you have done while sober, instead of all the stupid things you have done while drunk? Dunno, just a thought...
Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Agree to disagree.

The last thing I would begrudge is another's means towards sobriety. So if that's what this does for those posting/reading - all good.

For me all these posts, from the horrid to the silly, are Beast activity.

There was a big party last night that all my colleagues went to, and today they are here at work laughing about this stupid thing and that stupid thing that this person or that person did while wasted. I guess I'm just over finding humor or even solace in stories about blackouts, scars, tragedies small and large, silly embarrassments. I don't think we should live in shame of them, at all. But I think this kind of thread/thinking does give them value in the same way my colleagues are doing so.

This isn't a "what horrible thing made you stop" type thread - it's another Beast. And instead of humor or whimsy or solace, I find when I read these I just get sad.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

there was a big party last night that all my colleagues went to, and today they are here at work laughing about this stupid thing and that stupid thing that this person or that person did while wasted. I guess i'm just over finding humor or even solace in stories about blackouts, scars, tragedies small and large, silly embarrassments. I don't think we should live in shame of them, at all. But i think this kind of thread/thinking does give them value in the same way my colleagues are doing so.

This isn't a "what horrible thing made you stop" type thread - it's another beast. And instead of humor or whimsy or solace, i find when i read these i just get sad.
amen.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

This isn't a "what horrible thing made you stop" type thread - it's another Beast. And instead of humor or whimsy or solace, I find when I read these I just get sad.
I think for some, it is. For some, it was a culmination of the Beast that made them stop. You have a good point. This thread made me think about the chapter in Living Sober book that talks about your "last drunk." Inspired by this thread, last night I thought about starting a thread with that topic in mind. Thanks to your insight, I think I will.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
I think for some, it is. For some, it was a culmination of the Beast that made them stop. You have a good point. This thread made me think about the chapter in Living Sober book that talks about your "last drunk." Inspired by this thread, last night I thought about starting a thread with that topic in mind. Thanks to your insight, I think I will.
Blackout = tragic. That's the bottomline for me. Small or large tragedies, whatever. They are tragic and horrible things.

There have already been posts just like that "last drunk", if you search for them.

Why are you so interested in thinking about people in states of drunkness?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I would have been one of those newcomers who would have come across this thread and thought, "Well, I'm not *this* bad. Maybe I'm not an alcoholic..."

But that would have been a result of my denial, not the content of this thread.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Blackout = tragic. That's the bottomline for me. Small or large tragedies, whatever. They are tragic and horrible things. There have already been posts just like that "last drunk", if you search for them. Why are you so interested in thinking about people in states of drunkness?
This is why (see chapter 20. It's short, a little longer than a page. )

http://siestakeybeachmeeting.com/ind...ng%20Sober.pdf
Old 10-17-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

This thread made me laugh harder than I have in a very long time. How can that be bad?