Notices

Newcomer Again

Old 10-15-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer Again

I am back in the rooms and now new to here. I had about 6 months before i quit meetings, because I didnt need that......yep, exactly what i was told not to do for 6 months. and i did what a few alcoholics sometimes do after about 2 months on my own....I....Drank. and wouldnt you know it, i took a hold of me, worse, and lost more important things in life, wow, i guess what those 100 or people told me multiple time would happen, that i thought i was the exception to, HAPPENED.
Guess i had to learn the hard way. but whatever it takes, i lost my job and car, but i didnt lose my family, freedom, or hurt and innocent people, so i am grateful i knew where to go and am back on track, i now know that meeting and sobriety are life long thing for me, just like i was told, but disregarded.
dont believe us, go do a little research they said. we will be glad to refund your unhappiness.
I can no longer disregard all the truths i have heard because, maybe im a little different, i most certainly am not, and know where i need to be for life, and this time i am truely accepting of that.

i am glad this site and all the members are here so that i can always stay connected

thank you all

a
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome acarey, it seems like you know what you need to do to stay sober. This is a wonderful place for support. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep on here , sorry to here your starting again its no real deal you've learned you can quit and that trying to moderate doesn't happen. Good lesson and here is great.
Keep posting .
John.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

maybe commit to a specific number of meetings a week and keep that commitment?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Football season in Western PA is a rough time for we (ex)drinkers- so happy you found your way back here and have shared insight that is sure to help others ans has REALLY made me think.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome back, well said.....

Don't beat yourself up too much, LEARN from it and move on. Be a lesson to others in the room...

Much more to being sober than not drinking.

All the best !
Old 10-15-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by acarey View Post
Guess i had to learn the hard way. but whatever it takes, i lost my job and car, but i didnt lose my family, freedom, or hurt and innocent people,
Hi and welcome to a fresh start. When I was regularly relapsing I made statements like yours and was told to add the word YET, your eligible too. Slow to get honest with myself I got to realize how accurate it is. BE WELL
Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can identify with ya , I was the same for 2 years , and then I learned what people told me years ago , keep coming back it gets better , no matter what happens don't take the first drink keep coming back , meetings , meetings meetings , and don't beat yourself up , ur back I welcome you and that's something to be proud of , thank you for helping me to stay sober today through your story
Old 10-15-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Acarey, thanks for the helpful post. At Day 52, I can tell you that your mistaken theory is the one thing that puts my recovery most at risk: that constant thought that maybe I can go back to drinking a little bit and just try to control it better.

Hearing your experience, and the experience of so many others who have tried moderation convinces me, at least for this day, that it is a path to destruction. So, again, thank you. And welcome back. I am glad you are here with us.