Notices

Back to Day 1

Old 10-14-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to Day 1

I don't even know what to say other than that I need to stop drinking. I tried 3 years ago and got 6 months in, and then I've tried here and there. I'm not really great at sticking with things. I was so hungover this morning that I had to call off from work. That just doesn't seem okay or normal to me. I let my husband down because I was supposed to be at home helping out with our weekend to-do list, but I stayed out drinking all day instead. I can't believe that I keep doing this over and over again, and I'm so tired of the post-binge guilt.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi LittleSparrow. I'm sorry you're frustrated.

That's why I had to just stop all together. Every time I picked up it led me to a place I never intended to go. I'd be determined to just have a couple, and it would alway lead to a binge. I missed time from work too - it was becoming impossible to recuperate the way I once could. I was exhausted from trying to control the amounts. Quitting and staying quit was such a relief. You can get free of it - never give up.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The hangover guilt for me was terrible and ultimately what made me stop drinking. It got to the point that I preferred the vomiting and diarrhoea over the shame and embarrassment. If I went to work the guilt subsided but getting through a day at work hungover is torture.
It amazes me we do it to ourselves. Hang on to the memory of how bad you feel today and remember it next time you want to drink. All the best.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi LittleSparrow. I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so much with continued sobriety. I know first hand that it's not easy. I got 40 days in and then slipped on Friday and drank almost an entire bottle of rum. I was so hungover on Saturday that I lost the entire day. I started over again yesterday full of the post-binge guilt and anxiety of starting over again.

For me, I now see the triggers leading up to that slip and I have learned from them best I can. I think I knew the entire week it was coming and I didn't take the steps I should have to prevent myself from giving in. Instead, I let my free weekend be my trigger with the thought that nobody would know if I just had a little on Friday. That little turned into a lot and ruined most of my weekend.

Are there signs that you get every time you are about to slip? If you really want to quit and stay sober, having a plan in place for those moments is key. Easier said than done I know but that's my plan moving forward. I'm sure others will have lots of great advice to contribute here as well!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hopefully the bad hangover and missing work will motivate you into some more positive action to stop.
I can't talk as I have a long history; moving well now though with AA and into my sixth month.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi little sparrow,I Am not good at sticking to things either but 2.5 years sober with the support of SR following the. 12 step program I have stayed sober. I am amazed at myself.

This time around I was very serious about staying stopped. I fought hard against cravings at the beginning and used the tools that I learned here to help me.

You can do this, it does get better the cravings do go away. Life is so much better sober. Where you are at now you may not believe this is true.

But most of the people of this forum will attest to that.

CaiHong
Old 10-14-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
I don't even know what to say other than that I need to stop drinking. I tried 3 years ago and got 6 months in, and then I've tried here and there. I'm not really great at sticking with things. I was so hungover this morning that I had to call off from work. That just doesn't seem okay or normal to me. I let my husband down because I was supposed to be at home helping out with our weekend to-do list, but I stayed out drinking all day instead. I can't believe that I keep doing this over and over again, and I'm so tired of the post-binge guilt.
Hi Little Sparrow, you have come to the right place here and please know that you have much support and understanding. Alcohol, I have come to believe, is truly an addiction. Your brain changes to the point that it demands Alcohol. The more you drink, if you have the Disease, the more your brain becomes dependent on you putting Alcohol into your body. It's not a flaw nor is it a lack of self control. I learned that the support of people like those on this site and/or AA meetings will help you thru the rough spots. You will be able to achieve ongoing Sobriety and it sounds like that is what you want. Please know that I would like to hear how you are doing and am praying for you to try to make this day your first sober one. You will be amazed, as the Big Book states, before you are halfway through. Much Luck and God Bless.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pipping View Post
The hangover guilt for me was terrible and ultimately what made me stop drinking. It got to the point that I preferred the vomiting and diarrhoea over the shame and embarrassment. If I went to work the guilt subsided but getting through a day at work hungover is torture.
It amazes me we do it to ourselves. Hang on to the memory of how bad you feel today and remember it next time you want to drink. All the best.
Thanks for reminding me of the tortuous hungover days at work. It's been some time but I remember craving Alcohol so much and not being able to have it right "now" was the worst. And knowing that people realized I was hungover was embarrassing. To this day I wonder why I didn't just stop immediately on the way home and pick up a drink. My HP was probably working for me already. So glad I don't have to deal with that, Just For Today..and chances I won't have to tomorrow or the next. I have no cravings for Alcohol and recoil from it as if a hot flame, as they say. One drink will take me right to Hell.