Notices

Alcohol and the Heart

Old 10-14-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and the Heart

I go to the Dr. today for my yearly physical. Needless to say I am nervous about what they will tell me. I have a had a slow heart rate (bradycardia) for years now-more than likely due to alcohol and smoking. I have had dizzy spells lately, and often feel flush and out of breath. I have heart palpitations and extreme fatigue. I am only 37-but the damage may have already been done.

My options are probably going to be pacemaker, meds, ect. This is just another reason that I must quit NOW! I can't leave my wife and sons alone, I hav etoo much to live for. I hope everyone out there takes this alcohol thing serious, it will kill us one way or another. Good luck to you and wish me some as well.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good luck at the doctor today. Hope that get some encouraging news about what you might be able to do to improve your health. I also hope you can be 100% honest with your doc about your drinking and smoking so you can get some recommendations on how you can quit. We'll be here for you if you do decide to try and put down the bottle.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best of luck at the doctors. I hope you get some good news. There is lots of support here if you decide to quit drinking. Take care.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Probably" means ,you really don't know.
So don't let you're mind run wild with "probably". It will just make you worry with no real reason. Just wait and see what the doctor finds and keep that sobriety going no matter what the outcome is.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try not to work yourself up into a panic. And if the news is better than you expect, don't use that as an excuse to keep drinking. Good luck, hope the tests turn out okay.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try not to second guess what they'll say... it'll drive you nuts. There are more reasons than that to quit drinking though so no matter what happens it is worth doing. And a lot of health conditions can be reversed Mine have been anyway Hope you're okay x
Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wharf Rat, ScottfromWI said it so well!

I have had heart problems and don't know whether or not alcohol caused them. I do know alcohol did not help. My heart problems disappeared after I had been sober for a bit. So please don't give up hope!