Notices

And the glow is gone - Rambling

Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Jade, that was a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it.

I highly recommend you give AA a try. You have nothing to lose.

I am not religious at all. My belief in God is pretty muddled and uncertain. You don't have to believe in God to have AA work for you. It is NOT a religious program.

It is, however, a spiritual program. By working the steps, I found a spirituality that I had been missing for so many years. I learned how to pray, how to care about people other than myself, how to connect with the Universe, how to feel at peace in my own skin. None of these things require a religion, only a willingness to be open to a new way of life and to be honest with myself.

When I went to my first AA meeting, it felt like coming home. Finally, a group of people just like me, who got it, who understood me without my having to say a word.

AA taught me how not to reach for a drink when something bad happened in my life.

There are other programs too, and those work for people as well, so I'm not saying AA is the only way to sobriety. But it's the only program I've tried, and it has saved my life and changed me in ways that I could have never imagined.

I tried to stop many times on my own before I finally achieved true sobriety. Believe me, I know how difficult it is. You can do this!

Have fun apple picking and pumpkin shopping! I grew up in New England and that was a fall tradition. Now I'm on the prairie lol.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
w2r

I don't believe ANY of the progress you have made has disappeared.
You started a journey to a better life. You are on your way, one small decision at a time.
We see it. Everyone here believes in you!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Jade,
Comfort and love appears when we need it the most. The next best thing is to start looking for work and to keep moving forward. I can empathize with your situation greatly. Wipe off the dust and put your best foot forward. Do not give up. Take up the apple picking offer
Old 10-14-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I loved what you said about the sense of community and belonging you felt at the church. I am not religious either, and do not consider myself a Christian, but often I long for the sense of community that Christianity provided, even when I was at my loneliest. It sounds like you have found a place where you do not have to be alone--and I think that is far more important than any difference in religion. Christianity is supposed to be about love, and I think the people you met demonstrated that. It sounds like a good place to hang around, because even if you don't completely agree with the ideology, some genuine love and caring never hurt anyone...