Notices

Packing for rehab

Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm thinking they have rules against caffeine because it listed "no mind altering substances" in another category than drugs or alcohol. Caffeine is the only thing I can think of that would be mood altering. Which is no big deal for me, I'm not a serious coffee drinker and I could stand to give up soft drinks.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

We were allowed to have a "contraband box" of our own stuff at the UA's desk, stuff like tweezers.

I loved the word contraband box, made me feel like I was taking a walk on the wild side. I would ask for it all the time just so I could say it..
Old 10-15-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Progroupie View Post
I'm thinking they have rules against caffeine because it listed "no mind altering substances" in another category than drugs or alcohol. Caffeine is the only thing I can think of that would be mood altering. Which is no big deal for me, I'm not a serious coffee drinker and I could stand to give up soft drinks.
OMG I'd lose it!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Unless they're talking about OTC vitamins or supplements or possibly energy shots etc?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Progroupie View Post

I'm thinking they have rules against caffeine
almost forgot -- long time ago 1989

they gave us no caffeine in the treatment center

don't think they wanted us amped up

but, while trucked out at nights to AA Meetings

there was plenty of strong real coffee there

Mountainman
Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
almost forgot -- long time ago 1989

they gave us no caffeine in the treatment center

don't think they wanted us amped up

but, while trucked out at nights to AA Meetings

there was plenty of strong real coffee there

Mountainman
OMG deja vu, one of my chores was to make coffee in the morning (by that I mean decaffeinated crap) and I actually stole a coffee can from the AA meeting they trucked us at so I could have my caffeine LOL
and no I did not get caught and yes I made amends.

On another note, I was in rehab in 2001 but I remember them not wanting us to be in sandals or open toe shoes. Not sure if it was for liability reasons or if they were afraid that a male patient with a foot fetish would go bonkers but you might want to take some closed comfy hard slippers just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post

I actually stole a coffee can from the AA meeting they trucked us at so I could have my caffeine LOL
you remind me of me back then

and I'm still trying to let go of some old ideas

sure helps being sober (we have a fighting chance today)

best wishes
Mountainman
Old 10-15-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's hilarious! Some of us are serious about our coffee!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

When I went to rehab I needed to bring (and didn't): bath soap, feminine hygiene products, bath towels, cash for our weekly walks to Target and Ralphs (grocery store), something to do yoga in (we had twice weekly mandatory yoga), something nice to wear to outside meetings (after I felt better, it felt good to get out of sweats and see other people.)

They don't provide for special meals, so my daughter brought me veggie hot dogs, sausage, facon, etc. a notebook for all the writing they had us do.

Each week we went somewhere fun, like a Dodger game, comedy club, movies - so money and clothes for that. We put on car washes to earn money, so clothes for that. I wasn't aware that any of this went on at rehab, so I was not prepared at all.

Most importantly, go with an open mind and follow directions..... I fought everything and everyone for my first 4 weeks. My last 2 weeks I did everything they said and wished I had done that all along.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Honestly I'm looking forward to it and treating it as a vacation. I don't know if that's a good or bad mindset to have.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Vacation! I wish. And I went to supposedly the best rehab in the area!

I got no trips to Target or baseball games. No outings at all. We weren't even allowed to set foot in the parking lot.

No alarm clocks, just the standard 5:45am wake-up knock. Locked out of our rooms from 8am to 6pm. Roll call every hour.

We slept on 2in thick plastic mattresses with plastic pillows and itchy linens.

Lunch was 11:30am. Dinner at 4:45pm.

Two pay phones for 90 people and the were only turned on during the 15 minute breaks between groups/lectures.

6 bathrooms/showers for all of us.

3 TVs were only allowed to be turned on from 6-8am and 9-11pm. After 11, it was back to the room with 2-3 other roommates, and a regular flashlight room check every every hours all night long.

Chores every day.

But it was the best thing that every happened to me. Vacation it was not. Lifesaver it was. It was the quality of the counselors and lecturers that helped me learn how to live a sober life. I am forever grateful.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'd take yours over mine, digdug. Mine was pretty much like a spa and the staff allowed me to bully them. They were getting a lot of money from my health insurance carrier, so it wasn't in their best interest to kick me out. I would have kicked me out.

Mostly I just wanted to let Proroupie know what I didn't have with my and had to either have my daughter bring me (from 250 away) or buy it.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Maybe camping is a better way to describe how I'm trying to view it, lol.
Like I realize the severity of it and the hardwork, but at the same time I want an escape from my life and clearly drinking isn't the way to do it.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Mine was in a State psychiatric hospital and it was a great rehab. They did not put up with any Bs or prince/ss attitude. I learned a lot. I went on my own with no one pressuring me. I wanted to get better do bad. I gave it 100 %.
I stayed sober 5 years
Old 10-15-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

... btw I went to rehab in 2009 and I have 25 days today. So, I guess I didn't listen.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by feralfemale View Post
Also a battery powered alarm clock is nice to have--at least at my treatment center we were not allowed anything with a cord unless it was locked up.
My Rehab was in a converted 2 story house. I shared the bathroom (in our room) with 2 other young women. Alarm clock? I wish we had the luxury, we were awakened at 6:00am every morning. Daily life skills began ay 6:30am breakfast at 8:00. Kept busy all day & night with morning chores, meetings, groups, more meetings, more groups, my counselor sessions...you get the picture. Those who had cooking duty provided all 3 meals. Cleaning duty, all 3 meals. Everything was cleaned by the women, cooked by us, did our own laundry (bedding, towels, and our own clothes). For me, it was just like home. I actually felt comfortable doing my chores because I knew what to expect. Free time, about 1 1/2 a day total was usually spent working on assignments. I brought leisure books to read. Never cracked 'em. It worked for me, I liked the structure. Others not so much.. Bobbi
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I hear you Bobbi, I was amazed at how many people had fits about waking up early and chores. For me it was nothing I did not do at home.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm going to have to adjust to early nights and early mornings. My booklet says lights out at 11 and up at 8. Which is plenty of sleep but is no where near my current routine. Chores are no big deal although I'll be honest, I'm packing as much clothing as I can so I can skip laundry once in awhile.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Hopeful

I don't have any advice to offer about rehab but I will keep you in my prayers and I wish you the best of luck