Notices

first timer,

Old 10-13-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first timer,

just looking to vent a little

I'm a 31 year old male, 5 day's sober,

how thing's spiraled out of control

I've always liked to drink, since I was 17-18 years old, basically I was a weekend warrior, drank fri - sat night, vacations ect. Made some stupid mistakes, got a zero tolerance dui, but other than that nothing too serious.

in 2005, Worst year of my life, I got a another dui, lost my job, my license, and then at the end of the year my father passed away from leukemia. I started drinking more and more, and by myself more and more. 3 days a week turned into 4 days a week, and then on nights I didn't drink I couldn't sleep. After a while I would just accept that 1-2 nights a week I wouldn't be able be able to sleep, so I wouldn't even try, I would just try the next night which I usually could after being awake 36-40 hours straight. And then one night I couldn't sleep even the second night. I was miserable

at this point i discovered sleeping pills, they were my sister's, first lunesta then ambien, (I didn't steal them,she could afford to give me 2 a week), so I would drink 5 night's a week, and take an ambien the other 2 nights, I got a script from my doc for ambien as well, 30 pills for 3 months.

this went on for a couple of years, and then the ambien wouldn't work either, I got to the point where I had to take 3 10mg pills to fall asleep, so I started drinking and taking the ambien together,

This has been going on for about the past 3 years, drinking 2-4 beers and 5-8 shots a night, 7-12 standard drinks total, starting 3 hours before bed and then pop half an ambien.

it's begun to take it's toll on my brain and memory, especially as I've gone from working night's part time to daytime full time (used to sleep 10hours a night, now 6-7,prob no rem sleep)

At the time I had no Idea the reason I couldn't sleep was because I was having withdrawal symptoms, ( i know, stupid). After reading for a while about quitting, I finally told my doctor.

After a little begging, he prescribed me folic acid,
and librium,
day 1 100 mg
day 2 75 mg
day 3 50 mg
day 4 25 mg

today is day 5, first day without librium, and i feel, ok, pretty exausted though

withdrawal symptoms were pretty minor, some shaking, anxiety, but sleep has been ok as I've actually done a ambien taper also
day 1 20mg ambien
day 2 15mg ambien
day 3 12.5mg ambien (I just bit about a quarter of another pill)
day 4 same as day 3
tonight I plan on just taking 1 10mg pill

I just needed to vent a little, if you have any questions about more specifics feel free to ask
Old 10-13-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to sr.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post.... Personally , I've never been a fan of the sleeping pill thing... They always kept me awake.... But, the withdrawals and not sleeping, I can totally relate! I quit drinking during the week but when the weekend hits, it's on for me! I spend my week nights shaking, sweating terribly where I gotta lay on a towel ... And take Benedryl to help me sleep. I have recently started being severely depressed and uncontrollable anxiety during the week at work and it's terrible..... I got sober for 10 months before and I know things change back to normal after time..... But it's those terrible weekdays that get to me and want to make me release on the weekends
Old 10-13-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

I can relate to a lot of what you said. I'm 31 myself and every year from 2000 on my drinking got worse. In the end it was 8-12 beers a night. I have a DUI on my record, I'm spent nights in drunk tanks. I never was into sleeping pills but I mixed Xanax and booze and that would knock me out many nights.

I'm trying to clean up my life, and I've gotten past the worst (I also slept on a towel so I wouldn't sweat through my bed), but the insomnia has been killer. I never realized how much I used alcohol to sleep. On rare occasions where I couldn't drink late I would be up all night. I'm hoping it gets better. I feel fine, but oh so tired.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies,

It's funny how a little information can help,

as soon as I started looking into stopping, a lot of things started to make sense.

the, insomnia, excessive sweating, heart palpaltations (this usually corrects itself when I hydrate), blood pressure changes.

I knew these things were linked to my drinking, but I didn't realize I've basically been in going threw withdrawals everyday.
I figured if I'm only drinking 3 hours out of everyday, and am sober the rest of the day, How could I be physically addicted.

It's funny how stupid i was, or more correctly in denial
Old 10-13-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was amazing how fast the lightbulbs started going off once I was exposed to information on alcoholism. This site held the biggest revelations of all. You've definitely come to the right place, sleepy. Welcome to SR.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome sleepy - I'm so glad you found us. You're not alone.

I'm sorry for all the things you've been through, and the loss of your father. I finally figured out that drinking did the exact opposite of what I expected. It wasn't helping me cope with life, it was making everything harder to deal with, making me anxious and disoriented. It's so wonderful to be free of it. A better life is waiting for you. Congratulations on your 5 days!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

bump, I started another thread and didn't really feel like writing this diatribe all over again, in case anyone wanted to read it lol
Old 10-14-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sleepy, welcome to SR - congratulations on 5 days.

the whole body starts to regulate itself once mr booze gets an eviction notice.

insomnia hangs around longer than i expected, but everything else gets better in short order. congratulations again, great job! let us know how tomorrow goes....
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey sleepy, I saw your other thread too. I detoxed off of Ambien, klonopin and alcohol in June. I never thought I would sleep without any of them, I don't even want to mention my dosages, scary. I find it interesting that without considering myself "a druggie", I naturally gravitated toward 3 meds that all affect the brain in the same way. I hate pot, did coke a few times, was scared to every take other drugs.

Little did I know that the suburban housewife was dealing with one of the most dangerous combinations out there. All prescribed, I never bought street meds. I didn't doctor shop or do anything illegal. I tried other prescribed drugs, but my brain knew what it wanted.

I am so happy to be off that train. I detoxed in a medical facility, I am glad you have a doctor. I am actually surprised we don't hear more about Ambien here.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

lol, pot, somebody convinced me to try switching to pot instead of alcohol, so I gave it a go.

Being stoned while going through alcohol withdrawal symptoms is the very definition of hell.

within 5 minutes I had a beer and a nice 3 ounce glass of whiskey in my belly.

In my opinion ambien has it's place if you can use it properly, not everyday, and taken directly before bed.