Notices

Anabuse

Old 10-13-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anabuse

Anyone using anabuse? How long? Any side effects?
Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been trying to get a doctor to prescribe antabuse for awhile with no luck. I just think I need to take the ability to drink at all out of the equation. I spend too much time on deciding if and when I am going to drink, going back and forth about the decision. Antabuse would take choice out of the equation for awhile so I wouldn't have the option of drinking. Then maybe I could get out of the habit of spending so much time planning whether or not to drink and feeling bad about myself when I inevitably give in.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I couldnt make it w/o the anabuse. Why wouldn't they prescribe? My therapist called my gp and he called it into the pharmacy. Try a new doctor. I remember that struggle every night. "If I can just get home and not buy anything on the way.." But it never worked. good luck
Old 10-13-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is not medical advice:

I took Antebuse for the first day and it really helped mentally - knowing the potential side effects if I did drink (stays in system for 14 days). I then weaned off and mentally did not want to take it, as I felt it was a crutch. I am 44 days sober now. I think it can help initially.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am using antabuse. It is helping me get some sober time in. I just talked to my physicatrist yesterday and it's ok for me to keep taking it for several months. She said to have my liver enzymes checked every 6 months though.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took Antabuse in conjunction with 12-step many years ago. If memory serves, I was on it for about 3 months while I worked on getting mentally on board. Similar to your experience, I just couldn't put together more than a day or so prior to that.

More recently (maybe a year ago I think), I tried it again, but would simply stop taking it because the obsession to drink wouldn't let up.

The only side-effect was headaches for the first few days.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The side effects if you use antabuse and also drink, are horrendous and can be life threatening. Antabuse merely stops the clock, may in some cases provide an alcohol free period where a person can, at least theoretically, start recovery. However, my experience has been that it has postponed (or precluded entirely) recognizing the need to start a program of recovery. In other words it's no more than a chemical dry drunk.

W.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
The side effects if you use antabuse and also drink, are horrendous and can be life threatening. Antabuse merely stops the clock, may in some cases provide an alcohol free period where a person can, at least theoretically, start recovery. However, my experience has been that it has postponed (or precluded entirely) recognizing the need to start a program of recovery. In other words it's no more than a chemical dry drunk.

W.
I agree that you absolutely can not drink on it. It can kill you.

It can be used to postpone or preclude the need to start a program of recovery. However, I think it can be a very useful tool. I know that for me, it is helping me get some sober time in while I am working on my recovery. I am developing other methods to deal with some issues. I am able to get those routines firmly in place. I do not consider it a 'dry drunk' at all.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I couldn't cope with the fatigue / tiredness side effect. I tried to ride it out, seeing if it would subside but I just couldn't. Its a good back stop when you need it however....
I seriously wouldn't risk drinking on it though... one of my ex clients died drinking on ant abuse..... and for some it didn't work unless they took it 3 times each day.
I think anything that keeps you sober is brilliant!! any sober time is good time

best of luck
Old 10-14-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've heard of ill effects using it and unknowingly having any meds like cough syrup, mouth wash etc. Not following directions for it can result in very bad effects. BE WELL
Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

jutam- I have been exhausted. Hope it passes now that the dosage is half.
wpaintw- I have started a program of recovery and this is the only way I can stay sober.
Im glad antabuse will destroy me if I drink. I have no problem taking it every morning when my resolve for the new day is strong. Thanks for all the support.