Notices

Was holding myself back

Old 10-12-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Was holding myself back

Happy Saturday!

I've recently come to the realization that I have been quite dedicated to holding myself back over recent years.

I essentially (though not really intentionally) refrained from taking on new challenges and seeking new opportunities as they would not coincide well with my ever so 'important' hobby of drinking.
Anything that might interfere with an otherwise free weekend, or evening- I would avoid so as not to compromise the possibility of getting my drink on! DOH!
Of course, it didn't help that I felt unworthy, and certainly not as accomplished, deserving, and successful as those non drinking, motivated individuals.
Not putting myself out there also saved me from experiencing the rejection I felt I was likely to encounter.

I'm happy to say that it has been something like 92 days since my last drink. As summer drew to a close (and sitting at the 70ish days booze free mark) I sought out new job possibilities and considered taking some courses.
It was with renewed confidence I did this, and absolutely without any self imposed restrictions (didn't need those anymore) on when these things might be entertained in relation to my need to party/recover from said party.

Low and behold, my unbridled, drink-free efforts have paid off.
With a clear and sober mind I put myself out there, and was rewarded with a job offer that represents an opportunity to grow, try new things, and enjoy new possibilities!

Without really even realizing it, alcohol was making me sell myself short! NO MORE! I shall seize each day forevermore, and nothing (especially a drink induced fog) will hold me back.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What lovely motivation for me. Thank you for sharing this! Congratulations on your sobriety and your new opportunities.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for this! You should be proud and motivated to push yourself!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good news on the job offer. Living sober really rocks, doesn't it?