Notices

71 Days and Struggling

Old 10-11-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

71 Days and Struggling

Hi everyone,

So I am 71 days sober and I am very close to drinking today/this weekend. I just found out that I have to have an MRI next Wednesday because I had bloodwork come back that suggests a possible pituitary tumor. From what I have been told/read these tumors are usually benign and treatable with medication, but I am still very worried. The waiting is going to be hard and I feel like having a drink(s) to calm my nerves/anxiety.

My husband has been very supportive and is home today, but not sure even he can stop me. Could easily hide it fom him, but don't really want to go back to my old, devious ways. I have nothing in the house, so I am posting this before I have even made the trip to the liquor store.

Deep down, I know drinking will not help anything. I will feel awful and disappointed tomorrow and the anxiety will most likely be worse, right? Yet, I am still really struggling. Thanks for listening, SR friends. Just needed to vent.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry about the wait before getting a diagnosis. It sounds like you've already realized that drinking will make that wait worse, not better. Please stay strong.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 71 days sober! I hope you don't throw it away now. You can get thru this sober, I know you can. Stay here and post to spend time with supportive friends.

I pray the tests come out good for you.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Drink, the go-to solution for alcoholics. Guess what? It's perfectly normal to feel nervous and anxious about your health. And most people ride it out until they can discuss the situation with a medical professional. You can do the same.

Being anxious won't hurt you. Drinking will. Be strong.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 71 days sober. Sorry to hear about your bloodwork and your wait to find out whats going on. As you said yourself drinking will add to anxiety and create more worry not less. I think you would be doing yourself a disservice by drinking. By facing this with a clear mind you will be able to deal with it more effectively. I know it's difficult waiting for test results, keeping as busy as possible helped me when i was worried about blood test results in the past. Sending positive thoughts.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LADYBUG - I'm glad you vented here as opposing to heading straight for the booze. Be strong (you might surprise yourself just how strong you can be without it). Remember, life is full of challenges and what you are going through is only one of the many. You can do this. Let's make it to 72 days sober. What do you say?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone!