Notices

Lots of "why" to stop drinking, not so much "how"

Old 10-11-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2 (like my 100000000000th day 2) and I am literally taking it one hour at a time. Last night when I got home from work I wanted to take my usual shot of vodka so bad...and it was there in my house. So I went for a walk instead. With me I think I have to try and re-work my routines. I have said the serenity prayer about a million times the past two days to myself and I say it slow and concentrate on the words. It's an uphill battle but I would rather be fighting upwards then falling downwards. Good luck to us all
Old 10-11-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stark6935 View Post
Make a list of everything in your life that alcohol has ruined for you, and get MAD.

I can think of probably 50 things that are a direct effect of my drinking that are not good in my life that would **** me off right now. I am starting to loathe alcohol.
I completely understand where you're coming from. When I first got sober my sponsor had me make a list of what I was tired of. the "tired of" list included things like making up lies about why I couldn't be somewhere, tired of forgetting what I had for dinner until I saw the dirty dishes in the sink next morning, tired of dry heaves, etc. It was a whole page, single spaced typed tome to degradation.

I think at this point I can be even more honest about the mistakes that I made because of my drinking.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RightLAine View Post
I'm on day 2 (like my 100000000000th day 2) and I am literally taking it one hour at a time. Last night when I got home from work I wanted to take my usual shot of vodka so bad...and it was there in my house. So I went for a walk instead. With me I think I have to try and re-work my routines. I have said the serenity prayer about a million times the past two days to myself and I say it slow and concentrate on the words. It's an uphill battle but I would rather be fighting upwards then falling downwards. Good luck to us all
Get rid of the vodka. And, yes... vary your routines. Getting out of the house is hard for me but I know it works.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
Somebody needs a hug.
I will not discount that as a possibility.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I quit drinking one day, and decided I was going to do everything to make it as easy as possible for me. I met with my family and then got rid of all the alcohol in the house. I started being respectful and gentle with myself. I gave myself a pass on the past, with the proviso that that page had been turned, that I would never drink again. I read and read and read about alcoholism and addiction and got involved here to offer my experience to others.

I don't know if I can say that it was easy, but the degree of difficulty was immaterial. I had decided that I had quit (not that I was going to quit some nanzy panzy time in the future, or for just a fixed time period). I was going to stay quit, dammit. And I was not ever going to change my mind about it.

I believed in myself, Ms. Lanter, in my ability to make changes in myself. I believed that I didn't have a disease that needed any superhuman power to cure, I believed I had an addiction that was within my power to end. I believed that I deserved to be sober and to have a life with a home, a marriage, a family, some mental health, and my own measure of peace of mind.

Because of those beliefs, I am sober. Best to you.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I quit drinking one day, and decided I was going to do everything to make it as easy as possible for me. I met with my family and then got rid of all the alcohol in the house. I started being respectful and gentle with myself. I gave myself a pass on the past, with the proviso that that page had been turned, that I would never drink again. I read and read and read about alcoholism and addiction and got involved here to offer my experience to others.

I don't know if I can say that it was easy, but the degree of difficulty was immaterial. I had decided that I had quit (not that I was going to quit some nanzy panzy time in the future, or for just a fixed time period). I was going to stay quit, dammit. And I was not ever going to change my mind about it.

I believed in myself, Ms. Lanter, in my ability to make changes in myself. I believed that I didn't have a disease that needed any superhuman power to cure, I believed I had an addiction that was within my power to end. I believed that I deserved to be sober and to have a life with a home, a marriage, a family, some mental health, and my own measure of peace of mind.

Because of those beliefs, I am sober. Best to you.
You are very compassionate. And, you set a date... very important in your story if I understand what you are saying. Do you think that was pivotal to your success?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sarah, I didn't pick a date in the future, after some more drinks, I picked a 'now', and this meant that I had already taken my last drink. It was gone and done, and I was now looking at its backside. The rest and the best of my life was already underway.

That was the last I would ever see of my drinking. Done.

It was terrifying at the time, but it had to be. You can do it too. You can make that decision to be done with this. Believe in yourself. You deserve this.

Onward!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by SarahLanter View Post
I was 4 1/2 year sober, very active member in AA then my thinking began to shift. I went out mid-2010 and have regretted it every day since. I hope with God's grace I can find my way back. Every stage brings its own challenges. Right now, it's one day at a time without vodka.
Well Sarah we have that in common! We changed our drinking habits in mid 2010, well me in September. I quit then and you picked up.

Well did you learn that you cannot ever again pick up just one saying it will be just one because you have proven you can do not one for so long that just one should be easy, even though you knew that you can never have just one.

Sarah,
You already proved that AA worked for you for awhile.

I can tell you the how of how I did it. Got sick and tired of being sick and tired. But for two more years I bemoaned that I wasn't rich and could not afford the rehabs and detox centers. My doc warned me about how dangerous quitting could be for mid 50s people like I was. BTW when I got off my duff and talked with my doc he didn't realize either that I qualified with my medical insurance/retirement coverage for two full rehabs. I didn't find that out until I found the VA had an in hospital detox for me lasting 7 days with a follow on 28 day rehab. I set my home affairs in order and once my SH (Significant Harassment) and my two grown boys knew where I was going to be and that their mom would need them to check in more often than the then once a week. I figured if I could just detox safely I would never take another alcoholic drink or cigarette. Hey! They gave me drugs to make it easy so I quit both things killing me, smokes and booze!

I quit the Rehab after 5 days as it was not needed and I knew it then. Hated the idea of AA as Rehab forced me to a weird meeting. I joined SR, and some AArs here told me to go try several meetings until I found a more compatible group which I did. I liked the idea of face to face support, and it was way cheaper than the co-pays for my counselors. I stayed with AA for three months and then didn't need them any more either so just stayed here on SR as I had it licked. I read all of the online SMART books and started helping others who had problems too.

That is the how for my three years of not being a drunk anymore for life.

The short version is two simple steps.

1. Don't drink alcohol.

2. Repeat as necessary.

I do not want to ever go through all that again for anything. The drinking and dying was easy. The detox and struggle through PAWS is never going to be repeated by me like some bizarre repetition a la the movie Groundhog Day.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Well Sarah we have that in common! We changed our drinking habits in mid 2010, well me in September. I quit then and you picked up.

Well did you learn that you cannot ever again pick up just one saying it will be just one because you have proven you can do not one for so long that just one should be easy, even though you knew that you can never have just one.

Sarah,
You already proved that AA worked for you for awhile.

I can tell you the how of how I did it. Got sick and tired of being sick and tired. But for two more years I bemoaned that I wasn't rich and could not afford the rehabs and detox centers. My doc warned me about how dangerous quitting could be for mid 50s people like I was. BTW when I got off my duff and talked with my doc he didn't realize either that I qualified with my medical insurance/retirement coverage for two full rehabs. I didn't find that out until I found the VA had an in hospital detox for me lasting 7 days with a follow on 28 day rehab. I set my home affairs in order and once my SH (Significant Harassment) and my two grown boys knew where I was going to be and that their mom would need them to check in more often than the then once a week. I figured if I could just detox safely I would never take another alcoholic drink or cigarette. Hey! They gave me drugs to make it easy so I quit both things killing me, smokes and booze!

I quit the Rehab after 5 days as it was not needed and I knew it then. Hated the idea of AA as Rehab forced me to a weird meeting. I joined SR, and some AArs here told me to go try several meetings until I found a more compatible group which I did. I liked the idea of face to face support, and it was way cheaper than the co-pays for my counselors. I stayed with AA for three months and then didn't need them any more either so just stayed here on SR as I had it licked. I read all of the online SMART books and started helping others who had problems too.

That is the how for my three years of not being a drunk anymore for life.

The short version is two simple steps.

1. Don't drink alcohol.

2. Repeat as necessary.

I do not want to ever go through all that again for anything. The drinking and dying was easy. The detox and struggle through PAWS is never going to be repeated by me like some bizarre repetition a la the movie Groundhog Day.
Wow! You know how to weave a tale. What do you mean by SMART books?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

SMART is Self Managed Addiction Recovery Training. It's a type of CBT and puts you in charge. Self Help Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ
Old 10-11-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well. I'm in the same fight as you. I hope to be able to stay sober with you. Keep up the fight. Help is here.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by SarahLanter View Post
Wow! You know how to weave a tale. What do you mean by SMART books?
Freshstart had it right but on the SMART website I found this page buried that is a gold mine:
SMART RecoveryŽ - Tool Chest and Homework

Hang in here kiddo, you have a lot of experience to offer. The definition of experience is the ability to recognize a mistake when we make it again!

dbrunton,
Old 10-11-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Freshstart had it right but on the SMART website I found this page buried that is a gold mine:
SMART RecoveryŽ - Tool Chest and Homework

Hang in here kiddo, you have a lot of experience to offer. The definition of experience is the ability to recognize a mistake when we make it again!

dbrunton,
Thanks, I'll check this out. I'll use any suggestion.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cascabel View Post
I think alcoholism starts as starts as a habit and ultimately leads to chemical dependence.
Genius quote there.