Notices

Rehab and stuff

Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab and stuff

Well SR I love you. Rehab ok, no one told me no phone no computer, which means no SR. Except Deeker. No phone calls for the first 72 hours. No hair dryers in the room, what the heck is with that? Thanks for the tips on what to pack. I will so miss you guys.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

call your rehab and ask them their rules

best wishes on your sober journey!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We will miss you too!! We can't wait to hear how you are doing. When I went to detox, I tried to pack a couple of reading novels...they were quickly confiscated and replaced with the big book and twelve steps...HA! I thought WTH are these???
Old 10-10-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be well, Raider, and take this time to take cre of you!

June
Old 10-10-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Best wishes Raider--I have read all of your posts since end of September and I'm so glad you are doing this for you. I believe you will find a whole new wonderful sober life after this :-)
Old 10-10-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

We'll be here when you get back.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think they take away all those things so you are not distracted or influenced in any way and can fully concentrate on your recovery. Very proud of you that you are taking this HUGE step up the ladder to a sane, healthy, happy life!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Good Luck raider .. take care.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Pam, my heart just grew 10 sizes. We will all be thinking of you and here when you return!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Raider, I'm just thrilled that you're going. Sure, you'll rough it a bit. Probably no hair dryer because the cord is dangerous to very depressed people? Here are my recommendations for packing...

Sweats, comfy, warm clothes. You want to stay as comfortable as possible, and rehab isn't about fashion. Warm socks, moccasins.

Can you bring your own pillow (or several)? I hated the pillow situation...never enough, pillows were flat and uncomfortable. I love to read in bed, so I brought my own.

If possible, bring your own comforter or bedspread. It will make your room more familiar. Find an inspirational poster if they'll let you hang one up. A plastic vase was also handy. I love fresh flowers, and when I could get them, there was never a vase.

Nice stationary, writing implements and stamps. Add a few thank you and birthday cards, maybe a congratulations too...You will use them!

Bring dryer sheets. They'll probably have laundry soap, but no fabric softener. Keep your clothes nice and soft.

Of course you'll need plenty of reading material (my two favorites are "Parched" by Heather King and "Dry" by Augusten Burroughs). Bring a few good novels as well...sometimes you will just want to get away from it all. A few of my favorites are Elizabeth Berg' s "Open House", any of Valerie Wolzien' s "Susan Henshaw Mysteries", "A Dogs Purpose" (can't remember the author, but I just read this and ADORED it. My favorite author of all time is the epic Margaret Atwood, and if you haven't read her greatest work "A Handmaids Tale" then you are in for an amazing pleasure.

Bring a deck of cards for Solitaire. Can you bring music, an iPod? Fill it with AS much of your favorite music as you can. I love show tunes, classical, early rock...it will help. Sometimes when I was really down, music was the only thing that helped.

I had massive sugar cravings, and hard candy was great for this. Also, if you can bring in herbal tea, like Sleeytime or Tension Tamer it'll come in handy. Usually the food is pretty good, and you'll get snacks, treats, etc...

If you have any artistic abilities, bring something for drawing and painting. A sketch and watercolor pad, pastels, watercolor paint (it's dry, so they'll probably let you have it). Even crayons and a good, adult themed coloring book (no, not that kind of adult themed...more like "Stained Glass Windows" or "Fashion through the Ages").

Rehab isn't a vacation, you'll be working very hard, but a few extras will help make the experience a bit more comfortable. Once you are settled in, rehab is kind of like camp. It's just an ENORMOUS relief to hand the reins over to someone else for awhile. I think you will do just great!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

What an opportunity Raider! I've been following your story here. Best of luck, now get to work!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Good luck to you, Pam.

Yes, rehab is no vacation. I still remember some female patient freaking out because she wasn't allowed to bring her curling iron. But the truth is, no one cares how you look. Everyone looks like crap.

You really should check with your rehab about what you can and cannot bring in.

I was allowed basically nothing; just a few pairs of clothes, a calling card, a notebook/pen, a few books, basic toiletries (nothing with alcohol in it), detergent, cigs, and $25 in quarters for the vending machines.

I slept on a plastic mattress with a plastic pillow. No razors allowed, so to shave, I had to sign out a single blade razor every morning and return within 1 hour. Rooms were searched every night. Every package and letter sent to a patient was opened and searched.

No phones, iPods, or radios. No outside food items allowed (they confiscated my jello!!). Only 2 working pay phones for 90 people.

There were a few TVs, but we could only watch from 9pm-11pm and 6am-8am.

In spite of all this, I really enjoyed myself after I got through detox. I learned a lot. I met a lot of great people who really wanted to get sober (and many who didn't care). It saved my life. I needed that break from the real world. 30 days to just learn how to be a sober member of society.

So follow directions. Humble yourself. And stick with the winners (the people who actually want to get sober).

I cried all the way from the hospital to rehab in the back of an ambulance (yes, I roll like that lol). I sobbed during my intake. I was scared to leave my room the first night. The withdrawals were horrible but the nurses took care of me.

This is your chance. Think about so many people who never get this chance. You are more lucky and blessed than you even know for this opportunity.

Take care!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sending lots of good thoughts your way.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

After the lock down period, my mom was able to bring me anything I forgot. A good book for reading before sleep was helpful to me.
Rehab saved my life.

(I also went to rehab in Kirkland. Not the same place.)

Old 10-10-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So proud of you Pam. We'll be right here when you get back. The time will fly, and you'll learn a lot. A new and better life is about to begin.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Well SR I love you. Rehab ok, no one told me no phone no computer, which means no SR. Except Deeker. No phone calls for the first 72 hours. No hair dryers in the room, what the heck is with that? Thanks for the tips on what to pack. I will so miss you guys.
Those are called rules. They are good for you, trust me. They added one when I was in rehab. I bitched at my counselor, told her I wasn't happy about it. She said, well, you'll either get over it or you won't, turned around and walked off.
I recall this now, and it doesn't make me mad one bit. It taught me something.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hevyn - I was about to say that!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Wishing you the best
You can do it Raider!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I am so relieved and happy for you!
Brings back memories of my own experience.

My best wishes and prayers are with you.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)