Notices

Day 3...question

Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3...question

Day 3- well, good morning 10 am! What in the world? I slept for 10 hours. I know that because I remember, again this morning, what time I turned my lamp off: 12:02. I haven't slept this late or long in forever. Is it normal to feel so fatigued? I ran and felt so labored. Eww. Anywhozell.... I feel more empowered today. I remember everything I did yesterday including the outcome of my tv show. I would normally have to rewatch the ending before watching next week's episode. I reread of of my replies to yesterday's post and feel pretty good.

I am worried about the weekend, though. I'm so much more fun when I drink.... My jokes are always a hit. Now I'll be keeping my mouth shut. It's amazing how hot I am after a few glasses of wine... I better break out the heavy artillery.... Extra mascara. Did I mention what a fabulous dancer I am when drinking? That stumble during the roger rabbit is always sexy! Ha!!! Eww. So embarrassing.

Is non alcoholic beer/wine a safe substitute or should I stay away from the "flava" all together?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When you're detoxing I think it is pretty normal for your body to feel fatigued - it's getting quite the workout ridding your body of poisons and toxins. Your liver is probably working overtime.

As for the weekend, maybe a few weeks off from partying would help you focus on your goal of sobriety?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jackie38 View Post
Is non alcoholic beer/wine a safe substitute or should I stay away from the "flava" all together?
Congrats on three days. I drank beer...to excess. So the last thing I needed was something that looked like beer, fizzed like beer, and to some degree tasted like beer. NA beer would have had me running for the real stuff too quick. Too many alternatives to drink that aren't fake booze.

You might think twice about socializing on your first sober weekend. Part of recovery is changing where we went, who we hung with. It wouldn't hurt to get a strong sober foundation before putting yourself into social situations that may make you want to drink.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 3-

There is a small amount of alcohol in them and unsafe for an alcoholic, others may disagree however I speak from sponsoring several over the years who found out the hard way. BE WELL
Old 10-10-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

3 days is great!
It sure does feel better once you get past the dreaded insomnia.

Don't worry about joking around.
You may find being sober,like I did, that your timing is much better.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, there is no way out of this little gathering. The nights when I'm the designated driver, I usually drink soda water or nonalcoholic beer with no problem but I didn't know if that was a good idea. Should probably just stick to sprite.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd say start drinking a lot of water and a lot of green and black tea! The green tea is great for helping detox your body and liver. I like mine hot and plain, or if it's hot out, I brew a big batch, throw it in the fridge and make iced green tea. Yummers!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
3 days is great!
It sure does feel better once you get past the dreaded insomnia.

Don't worry about joking around.
You may find being sober,like I did, that your timing is much better.
Bob--- my jokes always stink!.. Ha!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Did you folks hear about the guy who had his entire left side cut off??
Old 10-10-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

He's all right now! Bwa ha ha ha
Old 10-10-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Who needs a party?!? This is like a party on-line _ good times! Jackie, last weekend was my first sober weekend and I was travelling with former drinking buddies to a city that is known for its partying. I stayed sober (yay! May miracles never cease!) I drank cranberry with lime and it was served in such elegant glasses. Very enjoyable!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bob--- my jokes always stink!.. Ha!!!
Oh cool,

I finaly found somebody on the wagon that's as flakey as I am.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Jackie,
Yep, your on track. Tired, sleeping, not sleeping, dreams, sugar cravings, emotional roller coaster. All part of getting better. Hang on and let everyone help you through it all. Ask for help before it's too late to get it. That's what I did.

You will be more fun and far more interesting not drinking than you ever were drinking. Wait till you get to the point where you see people drinking in all it's lovely reality. Not all that entertaining is all I'm saying.

Since you asked I'll give my opinion. I'd give the weekend a switch up. If I drank every weekend with my friends I'd be planning something entirely different. Kind of like me and happy hour. I knew that old 5 o'clock thing was going to give me some trouble so I planned on doing something else around that time. I knew that if I wanted to be different, I had to do things different. It felt weird at first but that passed.

There ain't nothing more fun and exciting and sexy and more attractive than a person comfortable in their own skin doing all of it on their own accord. Drunk is just drunk. It ain't nothing special.

As far as the NA stuff, I wouldn't. But then I'm cheap with my money so I would rather not pay full drink price for something that a fizzy water works just as well for. I would much rather be the one with the lowest tab at the end of the night. A great perk in my opinion. Heck, most places give you free refills if you are designated driver.

Here's the deal. Odds are in your favor of having a better chance staying sober if you stay out of the clubs and don't drink NA stuff right now. Work on being interesting. Go do some interesting things instead. Expand your horizons.

There will be a day it will make no difference what it is you are doing. Not drinking is just what you do. Or maybe it will. I don't know. I have no problem being around it but that's just me. Not everyone can do that. But I also didn't run out too early to find out. It naturally just worked out that way. For me anyway.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You guys are awesome! I feel so humiliated by this whole process. It helps to make fun of myself. Thanks for the joke, jade!!! And I look forward to our flakey conversations, bob!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And double dragon... Thanks for the advice for cranberry. No one will suspect I haven't spruced it up with stoli! I am trying to keep my sobriety under wraps until I have a little more confidence. Right now, everyone thinks I'm on a diet. My husband is the only one that needs to know how serious my problem is for now. I don't think I can handle the judgement from others at this point. I have hidden my best friend, alcohol for some time and to announce that I have a problem would set in motion too many questions like "when did this happen", " I had no idea, why didn't you say anything", blah blah blah... Better to say, I'm trying to shed some pounds rather than I'm trying to shed my pet monkey.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You know, I have been pondering how to tell people, too, Jackie. I told my husband and my sister and my mother that I was quitting drinking for a while. I didn't say why and they were all very supportive. I haven't told anyone else. I am not sure I plan to wear the "I am alcoholic" banner. I have changed a lot of things in my lifestyle over the last couple of years. I stopped eating red meat, I stopped drinking Diet Coke, I started going to yoga regularly. Nobody questioned those choices. Obviously, they were very good choices for my health and well-being. So, why is quitting drinking alcohol any different?!? One of the biggest ironies I had to face is that I quit my 6-a-day Diet Coke habit because I didn't want that "vile, poisonous liquid" in my system any longer, but alcohol is okay?!?

I am just taking it all slow and how I choose to go about living the rest of my life, and concerning my health, really isn't anyone else's business. If how I live my life affects someone else's life, then they have to decide what to do about me in their lives. (that's how it was when I was drinking and that is how it is now that I am not drinking.)

BTW, I love your sense of humor. You remind me of my sister.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Double dragons.... I love you! You're awesome. I just told someone else that the people that would judge you; are most likely doing nothing to improve their lives other than criticizing others to feel better about themselves. I should take my own advice but it's too humiliating. I think I am scared that if I say "I'm a dirty drunk" then people may look at me differently. Or, if I fail, then everyone will know "I'm REALLY a dirty drunk" and definitely look at me differently. I think the beauty in this forum is that you feel accountability for lapsing but without judgement.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jackie, I do have it easier in the fact that we had to move to another state a few years ago for my husband's job. We lived in our previous home for 10 years and we were a big part of the social, party scene there. I deliberately stayed clear of that scene where we are now, because I was already wanting to make changes. I can talk a good game, but I think it would have been a lot harder not drinking in front of that crowd, who was so used to crazy, drunken me. But what I said before still stands, I am just empathizing with you, that I understand your concerns.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I haven't slept this late or long in forever. Is it normal to feel so fatigued?
Yes. I realized after I quit drinking that my body needs more sleep (8-10 hours) than I ever got before. I now plan accordingly.

I am worried about the weekend, though. I'm so much more fun when I drink.... My jokes are always a hit. Now I'll be keeping my mouth shut.
I think almost everyone feels this way when "liquid courage" is on-board. As you spend more time around drunks while sober, you will realize that the reality is drunk people are obnoxious and annoying. I now avoid these types of events for my own serenity.

NA beer actually does contain alcohol. I would steer clear of any liquor substitutes, especially in early sobriety.

Unfortunately, there is no way out of this little gathering.
I don't buy it. This is your alcoholic voice speaking. And it will start talking louder when you get there, telling you that one drink will be okay. I fortunately have ten months of sobriety under my belt now and I still refuse to attend events where drinking is the main attraction. It's not worth the hassle and danger.

Get to know yourself better, become secure in your recovery, then make the decision if you want to attend these types of events. Nothing changes if nothing changes. A major change I came to terms with was the necessity of eliminating friends and events that could threaten my resolve.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness the EXHAUSTION is bone crushing for me- I'm on day 13.I feel I cold fall asleep any moment of the day! And it's making me smile that you and I are both telling folks we're dieting- lol! Best. Diet. Ever. But I can't come right out with everyone yet either- I feel too fragile to be under everyone's scrutinizing eyes. Keep at it Jackie!