Notices

NyQuil

Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NyQuil

So all day today I have been weepy and down and feeling depressed. Like after a night of drinking. I waist now realized that I took NyQuil the night before. I felt cold lie symptoms coming on and took it without thinking. I'm wondering if it's the alcohol content in the NyQuil that has me feeling this way. I can't believe I was so stupid to not even think before taking it. Ugh.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up. It's easy to not notice stuff like that. You might want to ask the pharmacist for recommendations for cold meds w/o alcohol in them.

I had a similar thing once with sugar; I avoid the stuff for lots of reasons. Took some cold stuff and noticed it was really sweet...yep, full of sucrose.

Just let it go, and be careful to read the label next time.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Have to agree, don't beat yourself up. I never even thought about Nyquil, mouth wash etc. when I first quit drinking.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Years ago I recall a guy with long sobriety in AA purchasing Nyquil by the case he got so hooked on it. I can't imagine drinking 4-6 bottles a day. But we addicts act strangely!
BE WELL
Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So, now you know. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on. There is alcohol in lots of things...especially liquid medications like Nyquil. I was on antibuse for awhile and I couldn't use hairspray, facial toners, lots of things. Don't beat yourself up about it.

BTW, I used to count on Nyquil as my favorite hangover cure. The alcohol helped with the anxiety, and the meds in it helped the headache. I'd drink a bunch, sleep all day, and wake up feeling okay. I never realized that Nyquil is an antihistamine, and taking a bunch on top of drinking would make me horribly dehydrated. I'd look like hell by the end of the day, not too mention the danger I put myself in. Whenever I see Nyquil now, it's like looking at a big bottle of some weird green liquor, and I give the stuff a wide berth.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hoping your cold symptoms are improving
Old 10-10-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Those types of meds or even the sleep aid Z quil really did nothing for me.
My tolerance level was way to high to get anything from it.
And it never drove me into a drinking binge.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No half measures

Before you put in you mouth or on your skin check it out. Hand sanitizer, vanilla, various OTC liquid drugs, perfume, mouth wash and others all contain alcohol that can be absorbed or ingested