Notices

Newbie :)

Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie :)

Hello everyone, my name is Michelle and I've been clean for 8 months on the 17th. I was addicted to meth for 6 1/2 yrs after my best friend was murdered in 2006. I've been doing really well, I cut out all mind altering substances including alcohol and I feel great. But the one thing that still happens on a regular basis is that I still have dreams about getting high. In my dreams, I miss it so much: the taste, the feeling, the motions, I miss it all. Then when I wake up, it's all I can think about. I know I don't want to get high because I've come so far, so I guess my question is.. What next? Will these dreams ever go away? I haven't been to any meetings yet, is that the next thing I should do? I read a lot, I've been keeping myself busy and working on myslelf, but I guess I can do it on my own for only so long.. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Michelle - welcome to SR
8 months is fantastic! well done
Old 10-09-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Michellefig76,

That is so awesome on the 8 months coming up. That made me smile. I love hearing from people doing it! I'm happy for you!

I'm no expert but my guess is that it does. I'm pushing 7 months so I figure it will take time for things like that to work their way out. I drank for a long time so it will take my brain the time it needs to rewire. I get the dream I'm drinking and then it wakes me up and takes me a minute to go whew...just a dream...or nightmare. However I want to look at it.

I had that when I quit smoking cigarettes too so that's why I figure its kind of normal.

Hey, as long as I remember the old life sucked and the new life is great while I'm awake
I'm not going to worry about it too much. I have lots of crazy dreams and nightmares. Some involve flying monkeys or George Clooney. Sometimes flying monkeys and George Clooney. Who knows but I'm going with yes, it improves. Everything else seems to be so why not.

Good for you M! Welcome to SR btw!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh. I'm so sorry about your friend. That must have been so hard. (((Hug)))
Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No half measures

I've been told that "using dreams" are Gods way of reminding us we still have a problem. I would not be sober if it were not AA/NA. I have found that getting sober and staying sober are two very different things. AA/NA teaches me how to have a wonderful life without mind mind altering substances
Old 10-09-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Michelle, Welcome to SR! 8 months sober, wow that's great, how wonderful!! I've heard of these dreams, I have realistic dreams that I smoked a cigarette, and I quit 30 some years ago. It seemed so real, I thought I smelled cig smoke and felt very guilty! But, I wake up, shake it off, and leave it in my dreams. If these dreams become nightmares, please speak with your Dr. there are new meds out to help you combat this annoying nighttime dreams. Take care and I hope they ease up, remember, they are dreams not reality, don't let them scare you. Happy hugs! TF
Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Michelle, so sorry to hear about your friend. You have found a wonderful place for support. Congratulations on 8 months clean, that's brilliant. I used to get the occasional dream that i was drinking again. I think it was my minds way of reminding me of what i don't ever want to go back to. These have stopped now i am further along in my recovery. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! You'll find a lot of support here in staying clean and sober.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Michelle and welcome to SR, good to have you with us.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, how tragic. Well done on your 8 months, that's awesome.

I've heard plenty of people share that drinking/using dreams mean nothing at all. I have only ever had 2 or 3 of these but they were really unsettling. I found they all happened at times when I was feeling insecure about something in my life. A change of some sort or period of stress...I don't know if you've got something happening in your life that is contributing?

I haven't had any at all for many months so I'm guessing they do pass.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awww thanks everyone for the comments! I appreciate all your supportive words of encouragement! I'm pretty proud of myself, and I do agree that getting sober and staying sober are 2 completely different things.. I've been doing a lot of reading and research online and joining forums such as these. And I think I'll be attending my first meeting this week just to listen.. I thank everyone again for the kind words 😊
Old 10-09-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your friend. I also had a friend who was murdered. It may be one of the worst ways to lose someone.

I hope you find the meeting helpful. When I went to my first AA meeting my goal was to "just stop drinking". What I found instead was fellowship and a place to rewire my brain. I feel totally transformed and it has been such a short time I can hardly get my head around it. I never would have been able to do this on my own.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey, Michelle!
I had dreams of using in the early days. I even had dreams of using drugs I'd never used before! WTF?!
But, I seldom have those dreams now. The last dream like that, I handed the drugs back to the pharmacist. I saw that as a step forward.

Don't sweat it. 8 months is a huge accomplishment! Keep educating yourself and take whatever steps you feel comfortable with to stay clean. Best wishes!