Notices

Well, here I am

Old 10-09-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, here I am

Hello, I just joined the forum. But I've been visiting for about a year, reading through threads, looking for answers. I want to thank everyone for every kind, supportive post I've read this past year, because even though they weren't directed to me, they brought me comfort, knowing that when I finally had the nerve to join, I would find support here.

I'm a wife and mom, and seemingly normal in every way. But I drink every day. And I'm just tired of it. I can't do it anymore. What's the phrase... sick and tired of being sick and tired? I woke up today, looked around me, and realized I have too much to lose--and what am I going to do? Keep drinking until I lose it? So, there's a fork in my road today, and I know which path I'm taking.

I know my next step is to have a plan, because I faced this fork in the road many times before, only to take the same turn I've taken for the past 17 years. My plan is, this evening, when I usually open a bottle of wine, I'm going to boil water and make myself a cup of herbal tea. It's a new flavor, Harvest Blend, and I'm looking forward to it.

That's my plan for today. I think that's as far as I'll plan for now. And I'm glad to be here.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. Glad you finally posted. If tonight is the night you are quitting, stay close to SR. Not drinking is a great first step. Tonight and tomorrow, think about how to carry that plan forward and how you will deal with the inevitable struggles. That's when a plan really pays off.

Good luck.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome ejackson, There is tons of support here. SR has been an important part of my recovery. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Welcome. Sounds like a plan. What helped me the first few nights also, was just reading SR until I was tired. I remember thinking, wow, it's too late to start drinking now. Might as well go to bed. The first few days will be extra tough and sleeping won't be good, but hang in there. It's worth it.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome home.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome ejackson what a great decision, you'll find lots of support here.

you may also want to insert something different, in your drinking window, like going to a meeting, or have a scheduled counseling appointment, personal trainer, etc. for me, it was very difficult to do exactly what i did while drinking, but just replace the drink of choice to an non alcoholic version.

keep posting and welcome again!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome ejackson! Joining you in a herbal tea - Buttermint Sensation!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by HappyHermit View Post
Welcome home.
That's lovely!!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. I am a mom too and I was just thinking this morning that I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. Today is day 6 for me. Last night was very tough because I am starting to feel and I have no idea what to do with that. I need to embrace these feelings as difficult as they might be. I know this road will not always be flowers and sunshine but they are bound to be better than a bottle of wine, lies, hiding and guilt. When I look at my life it is not bad - it is me that causes me to drink - my insecurities about myself.

Every night I too boil my teapot and make myself chai tea.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I lived in your skin for such a long time. Are you married?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, ejackson. I am glad you are joining us on this challenging, but so very rewarding, journey. It is good to have you here.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome. I am glad you posted. Having a plan makes a huge difference. You can do this and will be better off for it.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi ejackson - welcome
I found in the first few days, it helped to change my routine - even something as simple as sitting in a different chair to watch TV - helped to 'confuse' the cravings (if that makes sense)
Great that you've taken the plunge and joined the forum and also great that you've been finding it helpful and inspiring over the months

Look forward to getting to know you x
Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, ej. I am a mom, too. My goal is for my children to barely remember the days that mom drank alcohol. I brought tea to book club last night, so I already had a drink in hand when I came in. The cookies tasted a lot better with tea than with wine, let me tell you!!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR!
You already know there's lots of help for you here!

Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I appreciate everyone's supportive comments. I didn't drink this evening, for the first time in I don't know how long. Earlier, when I would have made a trip to the store for a bottle of wine, I instead took the wine money and bought some night cream for my face... and I'm sober enough to use it! I never before had an evening "beauty" routine because I was always too drunk to care. I looked in the mirror today and said, "Yep, time to start caring."

Superficial, I know. But no more so than when I would pad my shopping cart with misc food items so it didn't look like I had only come in for the wine.

I have to come up with a plan for tomorrow. I've quit so many times before that I know this first day is the honeymoon stage for me. I've drank for 17 years, and tried to moderate for 16 of them. It doesn't work for me. Maybe my plan for tomorrow will be that I have to be sober to remember to use the night cream again. The instructions say I'll notice results after 4 weeks, and I'd like to see how this turns out. :-)

Good night, everyone. Looking forward to waking up without a hangover.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi ejackson, welcome.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard e

D
Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I remembering facing the same choices you are..my family or my drinking.

I chose to stop drinking and everything is unbelievably better in my life. Wishing you well.

Stick around. This place is amazing!