Notices

It's crept up on me tonight

Old 10-08-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's crept up on me tonight

Not sure what's happened tonight. I've been 'fine' for days with very little thought or emotion about drinking or lack of it. Then all of a sudden around dinner time the thought of having a glass of wine popped into my head and how it would probably be okay. That little voice has got louder all night until here I am sitting in bed after midnight with the voice now screaming in my head to just get it over and done with.

I'm so determined not to. I know how disappointed I would be in myself after making it this far. I'm going to put a film on and keep an eye on SR to keep myself in check. Guess feeling like this goes with the territory sometimes. Can't help but be pissed off about it tonight...
Old 10-08-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done not giving in to it!! Hateful when the cravings hit isn't it - you'll feel amazing when you come through the other side

You're doing brill
Old 10-08-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nothing to be pissed about, NS. If we didn't having cravings, quitting would be easy. We're alcoholics, it's normal to feel like that early on.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Great effort, you got the day by day down and now the minute by minute.

You are sooooo right as you then will have to do it all over again after goodness knows how long a relapse. What kept me going was the sure knowledge that if I gave in to the just one I can handle it, at my age, I have run out of tomorrows to waste by drinking today.

Hang in here, go to chat, but whatever you do, don't give into that delusion that it is just one. it never is and we both know that.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be piised off, be grumpy, just don't drink! That is about where I am at tonight too!

Grrrrrrr.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. My other half will be glad that it's you guys that are getting my bad mood and not him!

Rochele, we can both be angry and NOT drink!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you are doing a wonderful job not giving in to the craving!! I've had many nights I crawl into bed early as it feels like a safer alternative. I found that each time I didn't give in to the craving I was that much stronger the next time the bugger came around again! You can do this!!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done, NightSwimming And I completely agree with SoberClover above. The cravings in the beginning were a royal pain in the a$$ but each time you overcome one, you're stronger the next time.

They go away. There will come a day soon when it is not an issue for you at all and, when it is, it will be momentary and you will have no problem changing your focus.

Congrats on your sober time and good on you for putting telling that craving where it could head in
Old 10-08-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I expected recovery to be a straight line - the more time I had the easier it would be - but

it's not like that at all, at least not initially - there's a lot of double back, a lot of wobbles, a lot of bad days to go with the good...just like life really.

I think the measure of a recovery lies in not whether we crave or not but what we do in response to those cravings - you're doing well NS

d
Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had an urge today to say F it but I just came home on day 10 and rested.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all. An hour of mindless TV followed by 7 hours sleep and feeling a lot more positive this morning. I won! Time to get up and face the day!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are feeling more positive today. Well done. You are doing great.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post
Thanks all. An hour of mindless TV followed by 7 hours sleep and feeling a lot more positive this morning. I won! Time to get up and face the day!
Brilliant news! Just think what this morning could have been like too - well done
Old 10-09-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post
Good for you! Bet you feel brilliant!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You're a champ, Nightswim ! You've just proved that you can overcome your cravings. Remember that !